Planning Tips for Your Disney World Trip - Start Here!!!

Hi all,

My family and I used to go to WDW almost every year. Our last trip was August 2019, so pre-covid. I'm just starting to read about theme park reservations, Genie +, and all that jazz, and I'm sure I'll have questions for those of you who've been more recently. We are planning a mid-August trip this summer and I booked YC. How soon do I need to buy my park passes and make my park reservations? What about dining?

Thanks!

Hi all,

My family and I used to go to WDW almost every year. Our last trip was August 2019, so pre-covid. I'm just starting to read about theme park reservations, Genie +, and all that jazz, and I'm sure I'll have questions for those of you who've been more recently. We are planning a mid-August trip this summer and I booked YC. How soon do I need to buy my park passes and make my park reservations? What about dining?

Thanks!
Many are in your situation so we've created this thread as a great place to help you with links to much of the new information. Please see post 1.

How soon do I need to buy my park passes and make my park reservations? What about dining?
I agree with making park reservations as soon as you have tickets, so you don't have to worry about your dates booking up. You can change them around as time for your trip draws closer - if availability permits, of course, and for August you shouldn't have any problems there. At 60 days before checkin to YC, you can book ADRs for the length of your stay there, up to a maximum of 10 days.

Of all the changes? I don't have time to read all these threads & I'm trying to help my sil (who isn't on DIS) loosely plan a trip in Dec, with littles.

I would say look at the pinned threads. Genie(replaces FP), park reservations (need to plan which park your going to and reserve ahead of time), early entry (every park 30 minutes early), hopping (now after 2) are different since covid. Im sure there are some other things too but those are probably the major ones.

Of all the changes? I don't have time to read all these threads & I'm trying to help my sil (who isn't on DIS) loosely plan a trip in Dec, with littles.
Your question has been merged with the 'Start Here' thread. This links to summaries of what is best to know. Your sil does not need to be a member of DISboards to read the links.

I would also recommend she check out the Disney for Families portion of the board for information specific to families.

So, it's been 10 years since we visited WDW. With all the changes and the unknowns from the pandemic, I'm overwhelmed... I really would love to get the pointers on below so that I don't have to go through such huge volume of information scattered everywhere... :worship: We are planning the mid December trip.

1. Any posts here or sites with introductory information that I should go through first?
  2. Which sites do you recommend for touring plans and crowd calendars? I used Josh's easyWDW last time, but you know, RIP Josh:sad:
  3. what are the top changes I should know (I know no more FPs but what else)?
  4. Any sample plans you can share? We'll be there for 5 days, I think.

So, it's been 10 years since we visited WDW. With all the changes and the unknowns from the pandemic, I'm overwhelmed... I really would love to get the pointers on below so that I don't have to go through such huge volume of information scattered everywhere... :worship: We are planning the mid December trip.

1. Any posts here or sites with introductory information that I should go through first?
  2. Which sites do you recommend for touring plans and crowd calendars? I used Josh's easyWDW last time, but you know, RIP Josh:sad:
  3. what are the top changes I should know (I know no more FPs but what else)?
  4. Any sample plans you can share? We'll be there for 5 days, I think.
Your thread has been merged with the 'start here' thread. Post 1 contains links to many locations that answer the exact questions you have.

I still use Touring Plans although right now the parks are notoriously unpredictable and busy so it's harder for people to predict what will happen.

Sample plans will depend on so much. I recommend viewing threads in the Theme Park Plans area with similar number of days. It's really difficult to give a blanket '5 day plan' as each family is so different.

I consider myself an expert on Disney Trip Planning prior to Genie+/Park Reservations. Now I'm completely confused on what to do.

I have my DVC AKL room reserved for January 2023. 2023 Park tickets go on sale June 8th. When I buy the tickets, I have to make park reservations. Since I'm staying Deluxe, I want to take advantage of the extra late night hours. How can I choose what day to go to each park if the park hours aren't posted?

In the same respect, I need to plan my dining reservations. In order to do that, I need to know what park I will be in on each day. Again, impossible to plan ahead for since there are no park hours?

I know I'm more than 6 months out and they normally wouldn't be posted yet anyway but half the August park hours aren't released yet. Do I just have to wait until 2 1/2 months out to plan now? Is there something I'm missing?

I consider myself an expert on Disney Trip Planning prior to Genie+/Park Reservations. Now I'm completely confused on what to do.

I have my DVC AKL room reserved for January 2023. 2023 Park tickets go on sale June 8th. When I buy the tickets, I have to make park reservations. Since I'm staying Deluxe, I want to take advantage of the extra late night hours. How can I choose what day to go to each park if the park hours aren't posted?

In the same respect, I need to plan my dining reservations. In order to do that, I need to know what park I will be in on each day. Again, impossible to plan ahead for since there are no park hours?

I know I'm more than 6 months out and they normally wouldn't be posted yet anyway but half the August park hours aren't released yet. Do I just have to wait until 2 1/2 months out to plan now? Is there something I'm missing?
Please read post 1 of this thread. It's been created to assist guests with all of the recent changes.

1. I have my DVC AKL room reserved for January 2023. 2023 Park tickets go on sale June 8th. When I buy the tickets, I have to make park reservations. Since I'm staying Deluxe, I want to take advantage of the extra late night hours. How can I choose what day to go to each park if the park hours aren't posted?

2. In the same respect, I need to plan my dining reservations. In order to do that, I need to know what park I will be in on each day. Again, impossible to plan ahead for since there are no park hours?

3. I know I'm more than 6 months out and they normally wouldn't be posted yet anyway but half the August park hours aren't released yet. Do I just have to wait until 2 1/2 months out to plan now? Is there something I'm missing?
1. It is recommended to make Park Reservations as soon as possible to secure something. As your plans fall in place you can attempt to change them but if it ends up being busy, at least you have something secured.

2 and 3. Park Hours are released approx 70 days in advance. ADRs open 60 days in advance so hours will be known by the time your booking window opens.

Hey i am sure this is a basic question but can't seem to find the answer out there in the dis universe! Been a while since last visit. Booked the trip for 3. Do we each install the app using the SAME login as me? Or is there a way / need for separate accounts? i.e. if i reserve a park day, does it do it for every one in the party or just me? If i reserve a ride time does it do it for all members in the party? Reason i wonder is what if I get it and someone doesn't? I swear it's more complicated to go on vacation then goto work! ;) TIA.

Hey i am sure this is a basic question but can't seem to find the answer out there in the dis universe! Been a while since last visit. Booked the trip for 3. Do we each install the app using the SAME login as me? Or is there a way / need for separate accounts? i.e. if i reserve a park day, does it do it for every one in the party or just me? If i reserve a ride time does it do it for all members in the party? Reason i wonder is what if I get it and someone doesn't? I swear it's more complicated to go on vacation then goto work! ;) TIA.
Only one person needs to create an MDE account as long as all tickets can be linked to that account. More than one person can login to the same account, at the same time. There is no need for separate accounts.

When reserving park days, purchasing Genie+, booking LL or ILL$, each person in selected as not all people in a group are assumed to be wanting to do the same thing at the same time.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help.

Hey another dumb question here please - what do you use to enter the parks? (if not purchasing MB) Do they mail KTW cards still? Does everyone in the party need to use their smartphone as a digital key? TIA

I've been looking all over for the answer so if I've missed it somewhere, apologies. I've created my digital pass on the MDE app, but how can my boyfriend do the same so he can manage his own pass? Do I have to manage it for him (and Genie+ and everything else) or can he link the ticket on his phone and manage it himself? Right now both show up in my app but the option to reassign ticket is grayed out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter