Placeholder

You should be aware that when booking a placeholder if you assign it to TA you cannot change that option after the face (even within the 30 day period) without the cooperation of the TA. I just finished a cruise and booked a future cruise place holder using the app and when I got to the choice to use existing TA or not, I did not know the implications of that simple question. I chose "yes" and that was a HUGE mistake. My TA at that time was "The Vacationeer". When I got home I decided I did not want to use them and handle the booking myself, so I called DCL and they said due to legal reasons "The Vacationeer" owned the placeholder and I would have to have them release it. So I called them and they out right refused to release the placeholder. Now I am stuck using them (NO WAY!). My only other choice is to let the placeholder expire in 2 years and get a refund. Just be beware of this fact for that simple question in the app does not explain those implications to you. I decided to try a TA to receive an OBC. But that small OBC will end up costing me a lot more in the lost 10% discount the place holder would have granted me.
You’ve revived multiple dead threads now to vent about your experience. Rather than do this, just make your own post. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with your TA - I haven’t worked with a TA (I’m too much of a control freak - the on-board credit isn’t worth me not being in control of my booking 🤷‍♀️), but I know many people on here swear by theirs.

I did not know the implications of that simple question.

Just be beware of this fact for that simple question in the app does not explain those implications to you.
Really, the responsibility for knowing the whys and wherefores of using a TA is on you, not on a booking agent to tell you. They don't know how each individual TA works, and can't be expected to.
My only other choice is to let the placeholder expire in 2 years and get a refund.
You can just cancel the placeholder outright. No need to wait for it to expire.

You’ve revived multiple dead threads now to vent about your experience. Rather than do this, just make your own post. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with your TA - I haven’t worked with a TA (I’m too much of a control freak - the on-board credit isn’t worth me not being in control of my booking 🤷‍♀️), but I know many people on here swear by theirs.
Sorry for reviving old threads "whatever that means". I don't visit boards or post very often so I don't know the etiquette like somebody like you that live on these boards.

My purpose (albeit worded poorly at the time) was to inform other people about one of the ramifications of using a TA. I realize TA's serve a purpose and are a great help to many. But people who do not use a TA very often don't know about these types of restrictions and this type of information could be helpful.

Really, the responsibility for knowing the whys and wherefores of using a TA is on you, not on a booking agent to tell you. They don't know how each individual TA works, and can't be expected to.

You can just cancel the placeholder outright. No need to wait for it to expire.
You are correct, The responsibility is on the customer to understand the restrictions of using a TA. By having users post their experiences, (albeit with less emotion than my original post) it hopefully provides information and context they can use to decide on whether to use or not use a TA.

Let me be clear, I am not against TA's, they serve a valuable service for many customers. The TA I used on my last cruise did a fine job. We did not experience any issues for that cruise so I can't speak to how well they would have done in resolving an issue. But we need more information posted online (the good and the bad) so those looking to decide on whether to use a TA are fully informed.

Thank you, in my talks with DCL they have confirmed I can make a request to the TA to cancel the placeholder rather than wait 24 months.

Last edited:
Sorry for reviving old threads "whatever that means". I don't visit boards or post very often so I don't know the etiquette like somebody like you that live on these boards.

My purpose (albeit worded poorly at the time) was to inform other people about one of the ramifications of using a TA. I realize TA's serve a purpose and are a great help to many. But people who do not use a TA very often don't know about these types of restrictions and this type of information could be helpful.
It looks like you searched for any thread about placeholders, and then responded to each (regardless of when the thread was started or when the most recent post was) with pretty much the same message. That's what "reviving old threads" means. Your issue was only tangentially related to the point of some of the other threads, so PP is saying it probably would have been better as a new post.

Also, keep in mind this board is sponsored by a travel agency (Dreams Unlimited). I also understand that not everyone uses TAs frequently; however, there is some onus on the consumer to understand the policies of the agency/TA they are working with. And just because one TA/agency has such a policy doesn't mean that all of them do.

I agree the information could be helpful; however, the way in which the information was presented didn't really come across as trying to help, but rather venting/complaining (especially, as PP noted, putting the same info in multiple threads). I understand you're not a frequent visitor to these boards perhaps, so others are pointing out how this came across.

The TA I used on my last cruise did a fine job. We did not experience any issues for that cruise so I can't speak to well they would have done in resolving an issue.
Yet you posted several times, bolding their name, about terrible they were being in this situation? Probably ensuring that other people will not use them?

Yet you posted several times, bolding their name, about terrible they were being in this situation? Probably ensuring that other people will not use them?
Sorry about the multiple postings. I have edited the original post to be more informative about the restrictions than ranting.

Sorry about the multiple postings. I have edited the original post to be more informative about the restrictions than ranting.

I'm sorry that you'reunhappy with the situation and I think that your point was lost in your initial frustration. I hope you get the outcome your'e looking for and the situation gets resolved for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter