• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Placeholder question

Ricky P

Mouseketeer
Hello, If you book a cruise with a placeholder and then decide to add people or change dates are you able to cancel and reschedule while still using the placeholder as long as you’re within the 2 year window

You can move the cruise within the 2 year window while keeping the onboard booking discount for the people who were originally on the reservation. If you cancel the booking, though, the discount will be cancelled too, so you need to be careful with the wording you use.

Once you book a cruise you are subject to normal cancellation policies. I believe you can move it as long as it's still in the window but if you cancel or you're outside the window you're out of luck.

So I'm running into something weird with this - I was on the Wonder last week and asked Guest Services about the onboard booking. We weren't sure at the time if we needed 1 stateroom or 2, and the representative told me we could make a placeholder for a single stateroom and add a second one later on if we needed to. Now we know that we need a second stateroom. I reached out to my travel agent today and she said when she talked to Disney that what Guest Service's said was not the case, that they'd be bending the rules for us to add a second stateroom at the discount.

I guess I'm curious if anyone else has had experience with this. I'm frankly very frustrated as the whole reason I asked guest services about this was to avoid this exact situation. I did ask my travel agent to let Disney know that when she talks to them, but I'm not sure who's right here.

So I'm running into something weird with this - I was on the Wonder last week and asked Guest Services about the onboard booking. We weren't sure at the time if we needed 1 stateroom or 2, and the representative told me we could make a placeholder for a single stateroom and add a second one later on if we needed to. Now we know that we need a second stateroom. I reached out to my travel agent today and she said when she talked to Disney that what Guest Service's said was not the case, that they'd be bending the rules for us to add a second stateroom at the discount.

I guess I'm curious if anyone else has had experience with this. I'm frankly very frustrated as the whole reason I asked guest services about this was to avoid this exact situation. I did ask my travel agent to let Disney know that when she talks to them, but I'm not sure who's right here.
A guest may purchase a placeholder(well, 2 placeholders) for up to 2 staterooms max total on the same future cruise. If you were told you could add the second room at a later date (than the cruise) and still receive a discount on it, you were told incorrectly

To clarify "a guest" any/all individuals on a cruise (same stateroom) who live at the same address can book a maximum of 2 staterooms (2 placeholders) total.

A guest may purchase a placeholder(well, 2 placeholders) for up to 2 staterooms max total on the same future cruise. If you were told you could add the second room at a later date (than the cruise) and still receive a discount on it, you were told incorrectly

To clarify "a guest" any/all individuals on a cruise (same stateroom) who live at the same address can book a maximum of 2 staterooms (2 placeholders) total.
It’s definitely possible I misunderstood her, but I was specifically asking about the onboard booking and adding a second stateroom at a later time and she said we could, so at the very least it wasn’t very clear. I’m hoping that they might honor it because I received incorrect information. Had I known I would have just booked two placeholders and cancelled the second if I ended up not needing it.

In my experience they do not correct their own errors. On my first Disney cruise we talked to the cruise agent onboard and picked two connecting rooms for our family of 5. Then, when we got the email confirmations the two rooms were on different decks and different sides of the ship. Turns out he booked one, and then stopped. The second room seemed to have been booked much later and someone had booked the other connecting room in the interim. They would do nothing to help us, even with our wonderful TA trying to help. Then there were no connecting rooms in the category left and their only solution was to have to upgrade our rooms substantially at whatever price.

It was the biggest Disney customer service fail I have ever experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter