Pin Trading!

If a pin has the copyright symbol on the back, with the word "Disney" stamped on it, it is tradeable.

What would the CM do? Trade it to other guests. Recycle it. Who knows?

They will put them on their lanyards and if a guest wants them they will give them to them. As long as they have the Disney copyright you will be fine.

I have a few quick questions about trading.

I don't have a lanyard right now. How much are they at WDW? I was thinking about buying some when I got there, but I may buy a cheaper one before I left if it was too expensive.

Do people walk up to you and ask to trade?? I'm pretty sure that I would have to ask a CM, but what about guests? I'm kind of shy so I don't really want to walk up to some random person asking to trade. I guess I'll just have to get over my shyness to do it.

Lanyards are pretty inexpensive - I want to say that they're in the $6 - $12 range. You don't have to have one before you go, and they're easy to find in WDW. The big pin stand under the Hat in Hollywood Studios, the big Pin Center in Epcot, and the Pin Traders in DTD offer great lanyard selections - but almost every pin cart you find will have at least one.

It's fairly rare for guests to out and out ask you to trade. Usually, they are just like you - shy and a bit unsure. More often, they will just ask to see your pins. This is your cue to offer to trade; of course, it's up to the two of you to work one out. Other guests will be like you, and want to get something "good" in exchange for giving away something "good", whereas a CM will trade you any pin for any pin (as long as they don't already have the one you're trying to give them).

CMs are the best place to learn to not be shy - once you get used to asking to see their pins, its easier to talk to other guests. Remember that if someone is wearing a lanyard of pins, they are probably quite happy to show them off to you, even if they don't want to trade... just like you will probably be proud of your own pins, and want to show them to people.

Have fun! Feel free to ask any questions here or to PM me.

Lanyards are pretty inexpensive - I want to say that they're in the $6 - $12 range. You don't have to have one before you go, and they're easy to find in WDW. The big pin stand under the Hat in Hollywood Studios, the big Pin Center in Epcot, and the Pin Traders in DTD offer great lanyard selections - but almost every pin cart you find will have at least one.

It's fairly rare for guests to out and out ask you to trade. Usually, they are just like you - shy and a bit unsure. More often, they will just ask to see your pins. This is your cue to offer to trade; of course, it's up to the two of you to work one out. Other guests will be like you, and want to get something "good" in exchange for giving away something "good", whereas a CM will trade you any pin for any pin (as long as they don't already have the one you're trying to give them).

CMs are the best place to learn to not be shy - once you get used to asking to see their pins, its easier to talk to other guests. Remember that if someone is wearing a lanyard of pins, they are probably quite happy to show them off to you, even if they don't want to trade... just like you will probably be proud of your own pins, and want to show them to people.

Have fun! Feel free to ask any questions here or to PM me.

Thanks!!

I have one more question. How do I approach a CM. Should I just ask to see their pins or what?

No prob! I love pin trading - as does my whole family. I'm happy to get someone else hooked. :)

All you do is approach a cast member who has a lanyard or a pin card hooked to their belt. Politely ask them to see their pins, and they will gladly show them to you.

Note that common courtesy is in play - if they are checking out customers, you should let them do their job. In this case, I will get into line. :rotfl:

If you see a pin that you like, simply ask them if they will trade with you (the answer is yes 100% of the time)... heck, they will frequently ask you if you see something that you'd like to trade for.

The only exception is that some CMs have a different colored lanyard (it used to be green, I understand that the color has changed?). This designates them as available only to children.

No prob! I love pin trading - as does my whole family. I'm happy to get someone else hooked. :)

All you do is approach a cast member who has a lanyard or a pin card hooked to their belt. Politely ask them to see their pins, and they will gladly show them to you.

Note that common courtesy is in play - if they are checking out customers, you should let them do their job. In this case, I will get into line. :rotfl:

If you see a pin that you like, simply ask them if they will trade with you (the answer is yes 100% of the time)... heck, they will frequently ask you if you see something that you'd like to trade for.

The only exception is that some CMs have a different colored lanyard (it used to be green, I understand that the color has changed?). This designates them as available only to children.

Hehe. Okay thanks.

They even ask if there was something I'd like to trade for? That's good because at first I'll be a little shy about it. Maybe that will help me out :P

I'm also gonna let my 8 year old brother trade some pins too so he can trade with the colored lanyards. :cool1:

We traded pins in '07 for the first time and had a wonderful time so I wanted to get some pins for trading.

I found a great deal that I wanted to share.

Sign up for an account with live.com. This is a Microsoft cashback program that will deposit 13% back into your paypal account if you use buy-it-now.

Type in "Disney Pins' in the search window at live.com.

Click the link that says:
Sponsored sitesDisney pins- www.eBay.comLive Search cashbackBuy Disney pins. You may get 13% off with PayPal if eligible.

This will take you to e-bay. Make sure there is a 13% cashback header at the top of the page. Find a seller with a buy-it-now listing.

When you get to the commit to buy screen, make sure it tells you how much cash-back you will be getting. Commit to buy and pay through paypal. In some cases the money goes directly back into your paypal! In other cases it can take up to 60 days.

PM me if you have questions about getting this to work. I've used it to make other e-bay purchases as well.

I just read that there are fake pins in some of the lots on e-bay. Is there any way to know which sellers are reputable (other than feedback, as I don't think it is easy to tell if your pins are fake)?

Feedback really isn't that reliable as many people do not know they are getting scrappers in their lots. I myself gave very positive feedback to some sellers who I know now are selling scrappers. There is a huge thread a little ways down that gives some names of sellers that some of us have dealt with and believe to be honest/legit sellers. Check it out! :)

Feedback really isn't that reliable as many people do not know they are getting scrappers in their lots. I myself gave very positive feedback to some sellers who I know now are selling scrappers. There is a huge thread a little ways down that gives some names of sellers that some of us have dealt with and believe to be honest/legit sellers. Check it out! :)

Yes, I'm on page 8 of that one! Thank you.

I'm also in contact with my seller, who is offering to cancel my transaction 'if I still feel uncomfortable'... Ugh, I can't in conscience accept and trade counterfeits!

The live.com is still a great way to save on things on e-bay that have buy-it-now. Maybe get that baggalini you've been eyeing up :)

While I would never actively seek out counterfeits, the fact is that unless you have a pin backing (the black plastic thingy) and receipt in hand, there is no way to verify if the pin you are looking at is legit.

Scrapper/counterfeit pins are manufactured in the same Chinese factories, using the same molds and processes, as "legitimate" pins - usually after a limited edition run is completed. Due to this fact, there is no way for you to know if the Hidden Mickey pin on that CM's lanyard is "real" or "fake".

Guess what? This doesn't matter one iota, unless you are viewing your pin collection as a financial investment. So you just found a rare Stitch cast lanyard pin in the parks. Does it matter if it's legit or not, since you cannot tell regardless.. and since Disney is doing nothing to stop the counterfeiting, anyway?

I say no. Go ahead and trade for that Stitch, and be happy that you found it. Sure, if you find five in one day, you can be pretty sure they aren't legit... but again, does it honestly matter?

No one actively seeks out scrappers but they do exist. And yes, I do get annoyed when I trade a pin I paid $4 or more for to get a scrapper in return. It's VERY frustrating. So yes, it does matter to many of us. Also, just to point out that some scrappers are very good and you cannot tell they are bad pins but some are extremely obvious having dips in the enamel, even missing pieces of enamel or the backstamp may be totally incorrect. I've got a lot of scrappers that I like so I keep them and don't toss them, to me it does't matter that they are scrappers but again, I paid for them and it's very frustrating to get bad pins in exchange for good money.

Tammylynn, it's great that your seller is offering to cancel. Many times that speaks of a good seller. :)

I'm also in contact with my seller, who is offering to cancel my transaction 'if I still feel uncomfortable'... Ugh, I can't in conscience accept and trade counterfeits!

Update: I last asked my seller to take a photo of the exact lot of pins I'd be getting so I could check them against pinpics. This morning, without word, the seller refunded my payment.

I'm guessing he/she knows their pins are fake. Bummer, too, since I wasted an e-bay coupon.

Update: I last asked my seller to take a photo of the exact lot of pins I'd be getting so I could check them against pinpics. This morning, without word, the seller refunded my payment.

I'm guessing he/she knows their pins are fake. Bummer, too, since I wasted an e-bay coupon.

Oh that is a bummer!!!! I've got some names that I've made purchases from and received really nice pins, if you'd like me to share send me a PM. :) It does sound like your seller knew the pins were not good. If you wouldn't mind sharing I would like to know who the seller was so I can avoid them in the future. :)

After I got my refund, I purchased two 12 pin lots from sleepys_emporium. I wrote and asked what their policy was if I found more than 1-2 non-authorized pins in my lot (a few are to be expected if the CM's have been traded the scrappers).

Here is part of the pasted reply:

"We guarantee every pin we sell. If, for ANY reason, you are not happy with a purchase from us, let us know and we will either replace the pin(s) or refund your purchase price IN FULL.

It is that simple with us - no games, no hassles. We strive to make certain are customers are not just satisfied, but happy (you know Happy is one of Sleepy's best friends).

So bottom line, if you purchase any trader pins from us and find you cannot trade them or feel uncomfortable trading them (so far we have had only three trader pins returned to-date) we will exchange them out - entirely at our cost."

I'll check them against pinpics anyway, but I feel confident that I'm not getting a bunch of scrappers.

Sorry that this has turned into a big scrapper debate, when the original point of the thread was to help pin newbies get acquainted.

Just to further muddy the waters, don't think that if you pull up a pin on pinpics and discover that the pin you own has a slight variation in color, that it automatically means that the pin you own is a scrapper. The very nature of the enamaling process dictates that there will be the occasional variation in color. I have compared legit pins, bought from WDW stores, and seen slight variations. Heck, I've even seen minor color variations in WDW, holding two pins side by side, while both were still hanging on the rack!

As for dented enamel... again, while this CAN mean a scrapper, it can also mean that the pin has been "loved" by a previous owner.

So in summary... should you be suspipcious if you see an online offer from a seller who claims to have lots of LE pins for less than $2 a piece? Sure - especially if they claim that the pins are new. Heck, online sellers in general probably have more than their fair share of counterfeits... how else do they turn a profit?

Should you be overly concerned about trading for scrappers in the parks? No. Yes, you're going to get some. No, you're not going to be able to authoritately prove that you have been traded a scrapper UNLESS it's one of those "LE of 500" pins that has 5000 listings on eBay. Silver where you expect gold, teal where you expect green do not necessarily mean counterfeit.

Again, if you are collecting pins with a real eye to the monetary value, save your pin backs and all receipts, and demand the same. Otherwise, you simply cannot know for sure.

Me? I'm keeping an eye our for Robin Hood, Jungle Book, and Lion King pins... and enjoying each one that I find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter