• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Picture of the Day - Chatter Thread

I walked clear to the end of the beach and followed an old path back towards the settlement store. I think it may have been a prop for the haunted hay-ride. In any case, it tickled my fancy... :)

I love this thread. We're going to Fort Wilderness in August for the first time. I really enjoy seeing the Fort through the eyes of other campers.

marybrat said:
I love this thread. We're going to Fort Wilderness in August for the first time. I really enjoy seeing the Fort through the eyes of other campers.
This IS a fun thread. I love it too.

I've heard about the railroad ...I wish I had seen it. Must have been nice way to get about the camground..is that what it was used for? I also know when our friends went there they used the trams...the same one they use in the parking lots to bring people to the parks. I wish they had those. I thought the busses were a pain to get on and off of with strollers and the like when the kids were young. I think I'd rather enjoy a tram ride through FW..and they should use the busses for transportation out of the campground to the parks..Just my opinion. Wonder if anyone has pictures of either the train or the trams used in FW. Would love to see them.

auntie said:
I've heard about the railroad ...I wish I had seen it. Must have been nice way to get about the camground..is that what it was used for? I also know when our friends went there they used the trams...the same one they use in the parking lots to bring people to the parks. I wish they had those. I thought the busses were a pain to get on and off of with strollers and the like when the kids were young. I think I'd rather enjoy a tram ride through FW..and they should use the busses for transportation out of the campground to the parks..Just my opinion. Wonder if anyone has pictures of either the train or the trams used in FW. Would love to see them.

The only problem is the trams are not disabled accessible. Not fun to push a wheelchair to either end of Ft. Wilderness to catch a bus.

Now, if you have an ECV, you can drive to either end of Ft. Wilderness.

clkelley said:
The only problem is the trams are not disabled accessible. Not fun to push a wheelchair to either end of Ft. Wilderness to catch a bus.

Now, if you have an ECV, you can drive to either end of Ft. Wilderness.

Very true, hadn't thought about that. My dad uses a motorized wheel chair..and we are usually running to keep up with him..but it would be different issue if it were manual that's for sure.

Those photos of the train and the tram are great! I wish I had experienced that. I think the tram would be a delightfull way to get around the campground...too bad they aren't an option any longer. Personally we don't care for the busses..but that's us..and can certainly see where it would be a problem for those who are disabled...but that sure looks nice! Thanks again for the pics.

You know, I really feel like I've been slacking in my picture taking at FW, when I go next month, I'll have to do much better and hopefully I'll have a lot of Holiday decoration pics to post.

ynottony99 said:
Nov-6.jpg

Is that the current sign?? I'm curious because it seems that everything that has Mickey and a gun has been removed and a walking stick put in its place.

Smooshdog said:
Is that the current sign?? I'm curious because it seems that everything that has Mickey and a gun has been removed and a walking stick put in its place.

I took that photo a couple of weeks ago. We have had this discussion on this board about the loss of Mickey's gun. It seems like the newer art work has removed it, but they haven't removed the ones that are in place. I know the customer survey cards I have received lately, do still have Mickey with his gun. :confused3

donaldduck1967 said:
I'm not sure what bothers me more..... Taking pics in a bathroom or posting them.

lol

Or trying to figure out what the cowboys are doing in the first picture - are they pulling their pants on?

Is this the girls or boys room? My son remembers it from the boys room. There's a hidden Mickey in the girls room, I think it was either on a stall wall or on the wall at the farthest end from the door. It's been while since I saw it (right after the renovations were finished). Maybe someone can get a pic of that the next time they're at FW.

ps DD67 - I dug her rap, my mama didn't raise no dummy!

SamRoc said:
Who remembers the peacocks at Fort Wilderness?

I do! I miss them, they were part of our morning walk to the marina, stopping to smell the roses and taking a picture of the peacocks. The one time we stayed in the preferred loops we were at 201 and they were there the entire time, they were part of the 10 people allowed at our site! One trip we were hanging around outside Trail's end after breakfast when a mama peacock came out from under a bush by the restrooms and she was followed by 8 or so little babies. We watched her lead them over to the petting zoo, it was very much like watching the beginning of the partridge family.

ynottony99 said:
Can anyone tell where that bridge is? Is it the one that goes from the pool/tennis court area over to the 1500/1600 loop?

ynottony99; All the pictures you have posted are so good! The majority of mine are in either twilight or dusk, taken as we go out in the morning or back in the evening!

CottontailCurl said:
SamRoc said:
Who remembers the peacocks at Fort Wilderness?

I do! I miss them, they were part of our morning walk to the marina, stopping to smell the roses and taking a picture of the peacocks. The one time we stayed in the preferred loops we were at 201 and they were there the entire time, they were part of the 10 people allowed at our site! One trip we were hanging around outside Trail's end after breakfast when a mama peacock came out from under a bush by the restrooms and she was followed by 8 or so little babies. We watched her lead them over to the petting zoo, it was very much like watching the beginning of the partridge family.

Thats such a nice story, i miss them too! We were in a preferred loop also one time and there were 5 of them around our motorhome. We used to love driving the electric cart around and spotting them in different areas. I have no idea why Disney removed them.

CottontailCurl said:
Or trying to figure out what the cowboys are doing in the first picture - are they pulling their pants on?

Is this the girls or boys room? My son remembers it from the boys room. There's a hidden Mickey in the girls room, I think it was either on a stall wall or on the wall at the farthest end from the door. It's been while since I saw it (right after the renovations were finished). Maybe someone can get a pic of that the next time they're at FW.

ps DD67 - I dug her rap, my mama didn't raise no dummy!

They're from the men's room

ps --- Hey Holm, I can dig it! You know he ain't gonna lay no
mo' big rap upon you man!

donaldduck1967 said:
I'm not sure what bothers me more..... Taking pics in a bathroom or posting them.

lol

:rotfl2: I was alone in the bathroom when I took those pictures..........if that makes any difference!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

CottontailCurl said:
Can anyone tell where that bridge is? Is it the one that goes from the pool/tennis court area over to the 1500/1600 loop?

ynottony99; All the pictures you have posted are so good! The majority of mine are in either twilight or dusk, taken as we go out in the morning or back in the evening!

This photo looks like one from a brochure or some ad. Sadly I never saw the train run. Today there is still some of the old track left across the waterway to the north of the 1500 loop. That area seems to have had 2 bridges, which have been removed. I have an old check in folder with a map that shows the train track. I will scan it in and post it soon.

I love this thread! I went through all eleven pages. I haven't been to Ft. Wilderness since '01 or so. It's great to see the Mickey waffles & peafoul again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter