Photo albums vs scrapbooking?

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
Hi, I take ALOT of photos, and I am getting tired of just putting them into photo albums, but I can't stand the idea of cutting pictures up for scrapbooking. I am not sure why, just the idea scares me somehow. So, please tell me, why you love to scrapbook, and why are they better than photoalbums? Thanks

Why do I scrapbook? Well, I had intended to only do 1- our trip to WDW in Oct. 2000. Our kids were 41/2 and 6 at the time and I wanted them to be able to look at the pictures and remember some of the trip. Well, not only do they look at it a lot but so do my dh and I! It's a nice way to have everything in one spot when you want to do a little "reminiscing." I have also done one on past trips we've taken & the building of our house. I've started their "Baby's 1st year" albums and it's been fun for my Dh and I to think back. I also just finished a 5x7 for my sister from her 40th birthday surprise party. It turned out better than I thought it would and I think she'll like it.
I like to be able to journal right next to the photo too so I don;t have to take the photo out and turn it over to see who it's a picture of! LOL!!
I find it to be a stress-reliever too. It's artisitic, even though I've never thought myself to be artistic. And it's something I can do with my DD since she started scrapping last year.
So that's why I love to scrapbook.

About cutting photos- It was hard for me to do that in the beginning too but then I started to see that cutting off some of the "extra" actually enhanced the object I had intended to focus on. You know how you take a picture of Cinderella's castle but you end up with somebody you don't know hanging on the side or something? I have found that I do take better pictures now because I tend to fill the frame with the person of object so there isn't much to cut off. Then I can just use my corner rounder and it's so much faster!

I, too, found i'm taking better pictures since I started scrapbooking. Also, I used to find it really hard to throw out the duds. No more - I am ruthless!

Princess, I overcame the hurdle of cutting pictures by using color photo photocopies on my first few pages. After about a dozen pages, it was to heck with the photo copies, where are my pictures!

If I really have a priceless picture - like a heritage photo of which there are no negatives, I cut a frame instead of the photo, and put the frame on top, with the photo sandwiched between it and the page.

Happy Scrapping!

I enjoy the creative process of scrapbooking, as opposed to just putting all my photos in an album. I like the process of finding embellishments to go along with the photos (decorative photo mats, maybe some stickers, maybe a page border or title, maybe a picture of a Disney character that I've created from pieces of cardstock based on a pattern in a coloring book, etc) to add a little extra "zing" to my pages.

The other major reason I scrapbook is the journaling. This is simply writing down your memories about a particular event. I may write about how the kids seemed to feel about a particular ride or meal or character or something. I may write about how I felt, or just general information about WDW.

I also save memorabilia from our trip: our tickets, the park maps, any other little pieces of stuff.

I use a variety of scrapping styles, too. Some pages are very simple, so the complete and total focus is on the photos alone. Other times I use more elaborate page embellishments, but never enough so the photos are not the main focus. I like my embellishments to accent, not overpower, my photos.

I teach scrapbooking, so if you would like to email me privately, I can teach you more (for free, absolutely no charge) about the basics of scrapbooking in private email. Anyone who wants to know more is welcome to email me, too.

I am rather new at this too. But I like it because I pick the best shots, write stuff down put little momento's in it! But I still can't cut the original! So I always get doubles. I have my standard pocket albums that every shot gets put in then I have my scrap books! I only scrap special events such as trips, my dd ballet kids school stuff and then I have what I call their life scrap book. I just put in it candid or extra stuff we did and then I can put names and places so when they are older they can look back at all the fun they had! Or who was their best friend and when! I so wish my mom would have taken pictures of my friends when I was small! Would be so neat to look back!

I LOVE scrapbooking!!! Love it. It's a huge hobby of mine and over the past two years I've gotten much better. In the beginning I didn't want to cut up my pictures and I still don't really. I cut off the extra insignificant stuff in the picture and leave it square (sometimes using a corner rounder) and once in awhile I'll use the circle and oval cutter but only for pictures that don't really stand out. I used to use the scissors that cut differently (wavey, jagged etc.) but hated what my pictures looked like afterwards.....made it look sloppy, I thought. So, those were a waste of money to me. I'm all about a neat look, not taking away from the photo.....and so I don't use very many stickers either. It's all personal preference though :)
BUT the most important thing about scrapbooking is that it won't damage the pictures in the long run like a magnetic photo album would as long as you are using archival safe products.
Hope this helps!! Good luck!

if you don't want to cut your pictures, then DON'T - I cut quite a few when I first started, and I wish I hadn't. Now, I hardly crop them at all - maybe to remove a stray person, or perhaps an oval or a circle for emphasis, but more often than not they are basically intact.

I really don't like to see photo's cut into shapes like hearts etc, or sillhouted (where you cut out all the background), although I have seen some very professional layouts done like this, but I personally don't like it.

What I do like, is the journalling and extra decorative elements you can use to really highlight your photographs - and it's fun :bounce:

Bev

Bev,

I agree with you about cutting pictures. I will crop mine into squares or rectangles to get rid of extraneous background that doesn't add to the picture (like junk on the family room floor, etc). If it's a beautiful location shot at the beach or WDW or something, I may leave the background, or if it's got something that shows the time period (like a car).

I also don't like my pictures cut into fancy shapes. Some pictures do look good cropped into circles or ovals, and I will do that. But I don't let my decorative scissors anywhere near my pictures. At times, I may use a pair to cut a mat for my picture, but I never cut my pictures with them. My favorite decorative scissors are deckle edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter