Person detained in pipe bomb case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, bigotry against those who prefer their news carefully edited to fit their biases is the problem... and saying that facts matter and that a steady diet of propaganda is harmful to rational discourse puts you in the same group as someone whom mailed actual bombs to political "enemies". :rolleyes:

Intolerance on display.

Each side is calling for violence against the other.

Our country is severely divided by bigotry.

Everyone is grouped into one side or the other.

You don’t agree?

Bigotry is a horrible plague that needs to be eradicated.

I don't agree that someone who questions those who view Fox as a factual source of news and look side eyed at them are in the same group as this terrorist.

You're right, bigotry is terrible and as no place in a civilized society. We're all responsible for our own actions and should call out those around us. What's coming from the top is sadly emboldening people

Can you support this statement with evidence and not just opinions?

Please remember, that there are actually videos of 45 encouraging and/or applauding violence at his rallies.
Didn’t Eric Holder and others just say that when they hit us low we should go lower?

What about the attacks at various restaurants against various republicans?

In my opinion you should be able to be a member of a polity party without being blown up. You should also be able to watch a TV station without being assumed you will blow people up.

Didn’t Eric Holder and others just say that when they hit us low we should go lower?

In my opinion you should be able to be a member of a polity party without being blown up. You should also be able to watch a TV station without being assumed you will blow people up.

Are you are really equating a pipe bomb with yelling at someone in a restaurant?

So this is your way of saying that you have no evidence of people on BOTH sides encouraging/ applauding physical violence.

I'm glad the pipe bomb mailer has been apprehended.

I don't compare yelling profanities & verbally attacking people at restaurants to mailing pipe bombs.

But I do compare mailing pipe bombs to shooting a congressman at a baseball field.

Neither side is worse or better than the other. Both sides have committed sad & disgusting acts.

Thankfully, there are also good & reasonable people on both sides as well.

It's time to stop saying neither side is worse, both are bad, etc., that's the same as dismissing these acts of violence.

Read about the attack at the Jewish Synagogue.

One side spreads hate. One side needs to be stopped.

Vote.

Only one side known to show pictures of cross hairs on public figures from the other side.
Very true. Some people would like to pretend that this is a mutual issue, but it is not. The violent extremism is quite lopsided to one political perspective.

The extreme, irresponsible and inflammatory rhetoric of certain political leaders and media pundits is also lopsided to one political perspective.

Or show up at peaceful protest wearing bandanas & helmets and bats - oh wait that's the supposed peaceful sideo_Oo_O

Both sides have their ridiculous fringe elements but to lump all from either into one blind category is just plain, well ignorant. Also shows a bit of bigotry itself.

Nice try.

I'm done with people with this type of thinking. Hopefully more and more people are also coming to this conclusion.

I'm glad the pipe bomb mailer has been apprehended.

I don't compare yelling profanities & verbally attacking people at restaurants to mailing pipe bombs.

But I do compare mailing pipe bombs to shooting a congressman at a baseball field.

Which was widely condemned by everyone on the other side. However, the response to this from the bomber's side (other than wathabautims) has been a deafening silence, so no, I don't see the equivalency

I've got an idea. Instead of keep digging in about "sides", how about we have a real, honest, civil, heartfelt, intellectual discussion about the problem?

Why do you think it comes to violence? Is it because someone feels like they are in danger? That their way of life or their actual safety is at stake? Do they come to this decision on their own, or are they egged on by the echo chamber they live in?

Some people are feeling frustrated, attacked, unsafe. Others are taking advantage of that for their own ends -- be them attention, money, political power, etc. Look at someone like Alex Jones or Michael Moore, for example. They only believe half of what they say. But they say it anyway for the attention. They actually make a profit from our anxiety. They keep us from acting like normal, civil human beings. It's disgusting. Instead, we have people like this guy, or the guy who shot up the Republican baseball practice.

I don't believe all political violence can be blamed on this new, 24-7, social internet, news cycle. Look at Eric Rudolph or the Unibomber -- they weren't fed by this new corporate scare system. Maybe somebody like this Cesar guy might have talked about conspiracy theories, but it was more likely he wouldn't have done anything about it in the 1980's or 90's. But now this stuff is everywhere. Talking heads on CNN or Fox News feed into and magnify our fears and angers. It's really unhealthy for us as a society.

Both sides have their ridiculous fringe elements

That much is true. But both sides do not have mainstream leadership that encourages the "ridiculous fringe."

The extreme, irresponsible and inflammatory rhetoric of certain political leaders and media pundits is also lopsided to one political perspective.

Quite right.

The increase in hateful rhetoric also doesn't help. Richard Spencer got punched because he's a hateful bag of human garbage. But Richard Spencer wouldn't have been on live tv spouting his hateful nonsense in 1994. He'd have been in the basement of somebody's home or club somewhere, talking to his other cronies about women and the Jews and the black man keepin' him down.

I mean, in this case, somebody does really feel in danger, right? You got this white nationalist (who, by the way, is accused of beating his pregnant wife) out in the open saying stuff like “The ideal of a white ethno-state — and it is an ideal — is something that I think we should think about in the sense of what could come after America."

Given the current, breaking news of yet another mass shooting---aimed at a people who are a favourite target of many on one of these sides---I am not even up to trying to have conversations with those who think the level of actual violence or violent rhetoric is equivelant---or those victim blamers who feel the violence is justified by some fear or another. My energy can be much better spent almost anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter