People who ask "Why do you want to go to Disneyland?" with an air of disdain

I think it has to do with what a visitor chooses to ‘tune into’ as well.

Also, Disneyland is a communal experience, even when you go alone. You're still surrounded by people who like the same things as you, are there for mostly the same reasons, and many of us even wear outfits that show our favorite characters, movies, rides, etc. It's not too dissimilar from being a sports fan who goes to games when you look at it that way. People don't often turn their nose up at someone who goes to a lot of football games or baseball games, but they'll get snooty about Disneyland for some reason.

^ This is a big part of it for me. Yeah I’m geeking out on imagineering, but I’m also loving to share the optimistic vibe with everyone else.

Honestly we get this no matter where we go if we go there often. Disney, beach, cruising and lately Japan (yes, we're lucky to be able to afford big trips); folk don't get it and opine AGAIN? I admit I've done the same eyebrow raise when it comes to places like Vegas but respect that while it isn't MY jam, it is theirs. Heck even when folk go camping in the same area you'd ask if they have a cabin or family there or something.

We have nothing to defend, so I don't. As others have said I just reply yep, I like it.

I just tell them that if they can't understand why I go, then that means "More Disney for me" as they won't be crowding the parks. lol

Actually my social circle knows better than to ask because when they do I 'wax lyrical' about the wonders of Disney until they go cross-eyed with boredom and confusion. So they only ask ONCE.

I'm sure every Disney traveler has received some variation of this feedback before. I'm at a point in my life where I simply don't have the time to care what other people think about where I vacation. If I worried every day about what other people think, I would probably never get out of bed in the morning. I wake up every day seeking to be a good, honest, caring, hard working person who treats other people with courtesy and respect.

The world would be a better place if people stopped judging others so much. Every person who is judging someone else, is probably also themselves being judged by someone else. What's the fun in caring what other people do and how they choose to live their life? As long as someone else's decisions don't impact me, then why do I care where you go on vacation?

Also, I have been to DLR over 20 times in my life, but also travelled extensively across the USA and globally. It's not mutually exclusive. You can visit DLR AND travel other places too (assuming the funds exist). I've never understood why people don't get that (understanding some people have limited vacation funds and might only be able to do one or the other).

There’s one part of my family that tried WDW and hated it. After that if we mentioned an upcoming Disney trip it opened a can of worms, so we stopped mentioning. Then at a birthday party my cousin and I were talking about trips and showing each other phone pics and the non-WDW person bugged out. You still go every year? Yep!

It's not for everyone, that's for sure! And I wouldn't spend a second trying to convince anyone to go.

As for me and my family of 3, we love it and we have fun. My son is 19 and I know these moments are fleeting but if he still wants to go, we're going! We are filled with so much anticipation while planning our next visit, that's part of the fun. We plan out all the yummy seasonal foods we're going to try. I think part of the reason we keep going back to Disneyland is we already know what we're going to do, it's easy to plan yet easy to go with the flow.

We went last month and for 3 days my husband and I completely checked out of life and just had fun. We didn't think about work (he left his phone at the hotel each day!) I don't have to drive a car and I don't have to plan my workout for the day because I know I'm getting my steps in. I can eat whenever I want, I can have adult beverages in a theme park, and we can ride rides and scream and laugh. Disneyland is filled with nostalgia for us yet it's constantly changing and there's always something new for us to experience. Our visits have slowed down a little (No AP or Magic Key, even though we've had them in the past) but we'll keep going as long as we're still enjoying it.

I was talking with my dad the other day, and when the subject of our upcoming DL trip came up, he said, "Why do you like to go there?" The way he said it, it was obvious that his attitude was disdainful rather than curious, and that he thought we should be spending our vacation time and money elsewhere. He knows that we've been a number of times, but it's not like we go all the time or that it's our only vacation destination.

So I've been thinking about this question and I think what I like about DL (other than it's just fun) is -- There's a concept, commonly experienced in reading books or seeing movies called the "willful suspension of disbelief," which allows you to have an experience you might not otherwise have by becoming a part of the story and "believing" it is true (or ignoring the fact that it isn't). The willful suspension of disbelief allows you to feel emotions that you don't normally feel, in addition to "experiencing" things you don't normally experience. In many ways, being at DL is like being inside a movie or a book. (Really nice hotels can also do this. They make you royalty for a day). Anyway, I think that's what I like so much about DL, it's literally being in Fantasyland *if* you will let it be that.

I don't think everyone who goes to DL gets this, or maybe they just don't experience it that way. My husband, for example. He goes with us every time, but he doesn't experience it the way I do or that my (now adult) kids do. Personally, I think it's because he never willfully suspends his disbelief. For our upcoming trip, he told me he didn't necessarily need a park ticket every day (gasp!). When he does go, he's frequently checking email or baseball scores on his phone.

Anyway, what I actually said to my dad was, "It's one of the few places we can go that nobody argues and everyone is happy most of the time." Which made it sound like we fight all the time, which isn't true, but for some reason everyone does seem to get along better at DL. It's certainly less stressful than trying to figure out a subway system or awkwardly trying to use whatever limited words we know in a foreign language.

What would you say if someone asked you this question?
I've gotten this attitude from people before. I usually tell them this:

My best friend from college, who passed away a few years ago, lived near Disneyland and would go to the parks every week. She used to say that she loved going to Disneyland because people are better versions of themselves when they are there. They're kinder, more patient, etc. She had a really stressful job and found Disneyland to be a place where she really & truly could shut out the outside world's problems for a few hours. She could really unplug and relax. I've found this to be true for our family as well. The joy I feel when I'm there is hard to describe. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Besides, YOU go to beach vacation/ski vacation/camping/whatever-their-'thing'-is every year. Why do YOU keep doing the same thing every vacation?

...and that usually shuts them up.

I don't recall having gotten this question myself, but I have seen it discussed on Disney fan boards occasionally, sometimes combined with criticism about not traveling to places in the "real world." I would agree with that if a family has the means to go to other countries and instead only goes to WDW or DL repeatedly. I think it's really important for kids to be exposed to other cultures, preferably in depth but even a brief tourist trip is a start. Here in the U.S., I also think that parents should take their kids to some of our amazing national parks, national historic sites, etc. But if they're doing all that and going to the Disney parks, more power to them!

I have family members who have no desire to travel anywhere. When I talk about being in Europe last year, they just shrug like, "I have no interest". They don't want to travel out of the US at all, and some barely even travel out of the state they live in . And if they do, it's usually to a neighboring state. (And it's not even that they lack the financial means, they lack the desire.) Personally, I don't understand it, because if I had the money and time, I'd be EVERYWHERE. But that's my preference. I do wish some of them would broaden their minds a bit, but they made their choices. Some people are just content to live in their little bubble, or afraid to burst out of it.

My best friend and I once left our (combined 8) children home for a girls trip to do Disneyland at Christmas. All those kids had been plenty of times and continue to go. We got some questions from other friends about why we would leave our kids behind ... to go to a place that they think is for kids to love and their parents to tolerate. But we both love Disneyland.

I've been to DLR as a child, on band trips as both a kid and now a chaperone, with my husband, with our whole family, with my mom, with my daughter and her friends, with my son, etc. There's always something new to see or eat or ride. It's one of my happy places.

We also go on other vacations -- to see family, national parks, cruises, etc. But Disneyland (and WDW) will stay in the rotation.

PHXscuba

I don't get why people take entire vacations where all they do is sit on a beach, but that's what they enjoy, so good for them. I absolutely hate camping and it is not for me, but I won't judge someone else who loves to go camping. I won't force anyone who doesn't like Disneyland to go with me, so don't force me to live on a beach or in a tent, and we're good.

I still travel to other cities and countries that have nothing to do with Disneyland, because that's what I love to do.
Amen sister! Those things are not for me either, but Disneyland is!

We travel a lot but yes I get asked this in a kind of teasing way a fair bit, especially because we don't have kids. Anyone who knows me isn't surprised of course but we also go through travel phases - Disney a lot one year, then somewhere tropical, then somewhere in Europe, then back to Disney, then maybe a massive road trip...

When someone asks, "Why are you going to Disney again?" I just laugh. "Why not?"

People just like to try to make fun of stuff or look down on things. Or they're jealous. I don't have any need to justify how I spent my time or money to them.

Luckily most members of our family get it, too. And my husband is right in there with me jumping on lightning lanes and watching Disney YouTubers and suggesting Disneybounds. lol

People just always want to judge others to make themselves feel better about not traveling or whatever. lol

"You may laugh at me for tearing up during the fireworks but I feel bad that you won't even give yourself a chance to", I always think. lol

One of the main reason I go to Disney parks and have also branched out to Disney cruises is due to personal safety.

I live in a low income high crime suburb in Dublin. I dont drive and other than a mall which is 20 minutes walk , I am surrounded by houses. It takes an hour by bus to get to Dublin city centre. Its not safe to walk around after dark.

In Disney parks I am inside a security bubble.
I'm surprised to hear this about Dublin! We just returned from Ireland, the last 3 nights in Dublin. I had the impression that even outside the city, Dublin was relatively safe. Sorry to hear that's not the case. What we saw of Ireland was beautiful and the people there were some of the friendliest I've ever met.

Also, Disneyland is a communal experience, even when you go alone. You're still surrounded by people who like the same things as you, are there for mostly the same reasons, and many of us even wear outfits that show our favorite characters, movies, rides, etc. It's not too dissimilar from being a sports fan who goes to games when you look at it that way. People don't often turn their nose up at someone who goes to a lot of football games or baseball games, but they'll get snooty about Disneyland for some reason.
I hadn't thought about it that way, but this is so true!

But the truth is that the people who ask you that question in the way your Dad did aren't after an answer. They're just saying it to let you know they think you're silly/foolish/crazy/etc. They're trying to poke holes in your happy Disney bubble, maybe because they don't have anything that compares.
Yes, you're right. My dad doesn't really care why I like it. He just wanted to let me know he thought it was dumb.

Gets hug from Genie that I didn’t get from people I should have. Marvel at the beauty of the princesses. I really felt like a member of the Resistance my first time on ROTR and was totally blown away. Sat front row in Rogers the Musical with tears streaming down my face and wasn’t embarrassed. See the Eiffel Tower aglow with lights, something I’ll likely never see in person. Feel my heart soar whenever I watch a Disney parade.

The emotional connection one has with Disneyland is impossible to explain to someone who is not equally aligned. I’m grateful for the “friends” I have on this website who accept without judgment.
Exactly!

I didn't go for the first time until 2017 at age 30.

I wanted to go my whole life and decided to take my own family when my daughter was 14 months and my son 5. I remember how absolutely crushed I was when we left. Nothing had ever fulfilled a place in my soul like that before.

Thankfully my hubby is 100% supportive and he loves Disney too. Not the same as I do. But, enough that he keeps supporting as our vacation destination and supports my solo trips too.
We have a lot in common. First time I went to DL, I was 43 years old and used the excuse that I wanted to take my daughter. Both of my kids still love it and they're in their 20s now. My husband is also very supportive of us going, even though he's not as big a fan as I am. Only thing is, I always thought we'd go on our own once the kids were grown and I'm not sure I'll get as much enjoyment out of it knowing I'm with someone who's not all that into it.

I'm surprised to hear this about Dublin! We just returned from Ireland, the last 3 nights in Dublin. I had the impression that even outside the city, Dublin was relatively safe. Sorry to hear that's not the case. What we saw of Ireland was beautiful and the people there were some of the friendliest I've ever met.
Im not going to go off topic , but American tourists have blinkers on with Ireland. They get fed a constant stream of rainbows and leprechauns and ye olde Ireland of of bygone days from Irish tourism which is very different to the reality of modern day Ireland. If you want to know more or continue the conversation , send me a PM :)

I was talking with my dad the other day, and when the subject of our upcoming DL trip came up, he said, "Why do you like to go there?" The way he said it, it was obvious that his attitude was disdainful rather than curious, and that he thought we should be spending our vacation time and money elsewhere. He knows that we've been a number of times, but it's not like we go all the time or that it's our only vacation destination.

So I've been thinking about this question and I think what I like about DL (other than it's just fun) is -- There's a concept, commonly experienced in reading books or seeing movies called the "willful suspension of disbelief," which allows you to have an experience you might not otherwise have by becoming a part of the story and "believing" it is true (or ignoring the fact that it isn't). The willful suspension of disbelief allows you to feel emotions that you don't normally feel, in addition to "experiencing" things you don't normally experience. In many ways, being at DL is like being inside a movie or a book. (Really nice hotels can also do this. They make you royalty for a day). Anyway, I think that's what I like so much about DL, it's literally being in Fantasyland *if* you will let it be that.

I don't think everyone who goes to DL gets this, or maybe they just don't experience it that way. My husband, for example. He goes with us every time, but he doesn't experience it the way I do or that my (now adult) kids do. Personally, I think it's because he never willfully suspends his disbelief. For our upcoming trip, he told me he didn't necessarily need a park ticket every day (gasp!). When he does go, he's frequently checking email or baseball scores on his phone.

Anyway, what I actually said to my dad was, "It's one of the few places we can go that nobody argues and everyone is happy most of the time." Which made it sound like we fight all the time, which isn't true, but for some reason everyone does seem to get along better at DL. It's certainly less stressful than trying to figure out a subway system or awkwardly trying to use whatever limited words we know in a foreign language.

What would you say if someone asked you this question?
I have lived and experienced this "Willful suspension of disbelief" firsthand I just never knew this is what it was called!!

Back in 2010 my wife said she wanted to plan a Disney trip as our summer vacation. I, even though I grew up loving the Disney characters and movies, met that idea with zero enthusiasm. Didn't help plan it. Didn't look forward to it either. While at the parks (4 Days), I was not into it. I was hot, stressed out, and I would see people around me (including my family) laughing and having fun and totally enjoying themselves. I didn't get it but I guess deep down I honestly wanted to.

2 years later my wife wanted to plan ANOTHER Disney getaway but this time I told myself I would MAKE myself feed into the hype and enjoy it!! Fast forward 14 years...we've been 7 times and made so many BEAUTIFUL family memories. My wife succumbed to brain cancer (August 2023) but my kids and I LOVE Disneyworld and Disneyland so much so that we are taking a trip to DL in memory / honor of my late wife in June all because of the Disney legacy she left us and the magical world she opened our eyes to back in 2010. It's exactly that for us...once we scan our magicbands, we are in the magical story that is DISNEY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter