Peanuts on airplanes

If they don't have a gate announcement then there is still the possibility that the PA person if flying with a plane full of peanuts and peanut butter sandwiches - even if they are not being eaten - they are still there.

Some people with a peanut allergy have to eat them to have a reaction, others only have to smell peanut to react, and a PB&J does smell.

Thank you. How common is this? I ask because for the last 3 years I have taught the 18m to 24m class and often these kids are just being diagnosed and the parents usually know less about it(or more likley they are overwhelmed)and I like to help them out wiht what I know from dealing with it in other kids(not any medical advice only relaying my experience in the classroom)
I always welcome any info from more experienced careproviders(moms) to keep my little ones safe when they are with me.

I work for an international airline and we will not provide any meal to anybody suffering from any nut allergy as none of our suppliers worldwide (including those in the USA) will guarantee that there has been no cross contamination. If somebody rings us to advise that somebody in there party has a nut allergy, we enter a special no meal code in the booking and advise them that they have to bring their own meal that our cabin crew can heat up for them.

I just had look at the websites of some of the major American carriers and here is what I found:

Delta
Peanut Allergies

When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll create a buffer zone of three rows in front of and three rows behind your seat. We'll also advise cabin service to board extra pretzels, which will allow our flight attendants to serve only pretzels within this area.

Gate agents will be notified in case you'd like to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area. We'll do everything we can, but unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.

United
Peanut information
United does not serve peanuts as snacks or use peanuts or peanut oils in foods served on our flights. However, we do serve vendor products manufactured in facilities that also produce items containing peanuts or peanut oils, and we do have snack mixes that contain other tree nuts, such as almonds and pistachios. Since we cannot prevent customers from bringing onboard their own peanuts or food items containing peanut products, we cannot guarantee a nut-free environment. When making your travel arrangements, we recommend that you assess the extent of any allergies or other medical conditions to determine if air travel is the right choice for you.

American Airlines
Peanut Allergy
American recognizes that some passengers are allergic to peanuts. Although we do not serve peanuts, we do serve other nut products and there may be trace elements of unspecified peanut ingredients, including peanut oils, in meal and snacks. We make no provisions to be peanut-free. Additionally, other customers may bring peanuts on board. Therefore, we cannot guarantee customers will not be exposed to peanuts during flight and strongly encourage customers to take all necessary medical precautions to prepare for the possibility of exposure.

US Airways
US Airways recognizes that some of our passengers are allergic to peanut products. However, due to last-minute aircraft changes and the possibility that other passengers may bring peanuts onboard, we cannot guarantee that no peanut products will be onboard.

Because we cannot accommodate "peanut-free" snack requests and the possibility that peanut-related ingredients may be contained in meals, we encourage passengers to bring their own food items onboard the flight.

South West
Because it is nearly impossible for persons who have an allergy to peanut dust to avoid triggering a reaction if peanut dust is in the air, Southwest Airlines is unable to guarantee a peanut-free or allergen-free flight. We have procedures in place to assist our Customers with severe allergies to peanut dust and will make every attempt not to serve packaged peanuts on the aircraft when our Customers alert us to their allergy to peanut dust. We ask that Customers with allergies to peanut dust advise our Reservations Sales Agents of the allergy at the time the reservation is made. If the reservation is made on southwest.com, there is a field to indicate a peanut allergy on the Payment and Passenger Information page during the booking process. If the reservation is made via travel agent, the Customer should telephone 1-800-I-FLY-SWA afterward to speak with a Reservation Sales Agent.

We suggest that Customers with an allergy to peanut dust book their travel on early morning flights, as our aircraft undergo a thorough cleaning only at the end of the day. Customers with allergies to peanut dust must check in at the departure gate one hour prior to departure and notify our Customer Service Agent at the gate of the allergy. (Please allow enough time to park, check luggage and/or receive your boarding pass, and to pass through security checkpoint.)

Upon advising our Customer Service Agent at each departure gate (including connecting flights), the Customer Service Agent will complete a Peanut Dust Allergy form and ask the Customer to present the form to our Flight Attendant upon boarding. This form notifies our Employees that a Customer with allergies to peanut dust will be traveling on the flight, and our Flight Attendants will make every effort to serve an alternate snack. As some of our other snack items may contain peanut particles, peanut oil, or have been packaged in a peanut facility, Customers who have allergic reactions to eating/ingesting peanuts should read the ingredients on any packaged snack before consumption. Of course, all Customers are welcome to bring their own snacks with them.

Although following the above procedures will ensure peanuts are not served on a flight, Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights. In addition, Southwest cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft’s routing.

Southwest Airlines cannot guarantee that a flight will be free of other allergens such as perfumes, lotions, cleaning solutions, etc.

So none of those guarantees a peanut free environment either and all of them state that they cannot prevent other customers to bring peanut products on board. Delta seems to be the most enlightened, but I doubt that the "buffer Zone" is all that effective as everybody is breathing the same air that is circulated in the whole cabin.

dolphingirl47

To answer your question...We flew. The person with the peanut allergy was forced to sit in first class & we were moved to the rear of the plane. (which made no sense because the snacks they asked us to remove were placed in the front of the plane?)
At the time the airlines policy, as explained to me, was that if there was a peanut allergy onboard that passangers were asked to comply with this person's requests. I believe I could have refused due to my own son's allergies & the allergic person then had a choice to change his flight.
I believe his request was that noone within a certain area eat peanuts or that there be no nuts onboard. The allergic person noticed that my clear backpack contained nuts & complained.
They handed out boarding passes that had a huge peanut on them to those they requested to not eat foods containing nuts, because we were on the second leg of our connecting flight we were not given any notice.
We got our nut snacks back when plane landed. I was given an apple & a bottle of water to keep my son happy for free. (Of course he sees an apple as a ball that can be thrown...Was fun flight!) Luckily it was only a 45 minute flight. I would have been very annoyed if it had been longer.

Thank you. How common is this?

Your ? was about how common it is for someone with PA to react to someone eating a PB sandwich or peanuts in the same room (or airplane). Airborne reactions are pretty uncommon....*most* with PA are not affected by someone eating a PB sandwich. My son is touch allergic - so if that person eating the peanut item has it on his hands - then goes to the bathroom and touches the door and my kid touches the same spot - then we have a problem. We are careful to keep him between us and cover his seat and wipe down the area. So far he has not needed to go to the bathroom but that trip would have to be made with extreme caution.

At school my son's classroom is peanut free but others around him at lunch (at other tables) are eating PB.

There really is no ONE answer for everyone. Some people are far more reactive than others. People who are PA or have kids PA have different comfort zones based on their experience.

We fly Jet Blue and United and have good service with both. I personally do not worry so much about someone 10 rows away eating a pb sandwich (other than if we had to get up and somehow came in contact). I am not worried if the airline serves "may contains". I would really hate to take an international flight with him - fortunately we have no need to do it.

I would not fly Southwest - they are (or at least last I looked) one of the few airlines that still trots out actual peanuts. I don't worry about the "mixed nuts" w/o peanuts served in 1st class or whatever. But I would not feel safe flying an airline that served peanuts. Too much chance for that peanut residue all over and a stray peanut on the seat, stuck in the cushion, on the floor...etc.

We need a medication to limit the reaction of someone allergic - they're working on it.

Thanks Skellet, I very glad to know that it is possible but not very common to react to a pb sandwich being eaten by someone across the room.

No they can not tell you that you can not bring penuts or any thing with penutes onto the aircraft. It is not a federal law.

There really is no ONE answer for everyone. Some people are far more reactive than others. People who are PA or have kids PA have different comfort zones based on their experience.
::yes::
My experience quite a while ago being a school nurse was just that.
There were 2 kids who were allergic to peanuts in one school. One only had a problem if he actually ate something with peanuts in it. Another had airborne reactions.
I have read about some of the research being done with limiting the reactions - that will be great when they get it to work.

Showing up 2 hours before an 11 hour flight and demanding that no nuts be served on board without any prior advisement to the airline is not I think reasonable responsibility, in my example.

I agree. Not being able to eat for 11 hours (or 6-7 hours I think has been my longest flight to Europe) is not good for my health, could cause me to faint or get ill, etc. I know what int'l airplane food is and I can't eat almost all or any of it. Therefore, I'd bring with me some nutrition bars. The ones I eat contain peanuts and have a dried-on peanuty drizzle on top (they are South Beach Diet bars). They can stave off hunger for a few hours.

If it was announced in the airport at least an hour before boarding the flight (or when being handed the tickets at the ticket counter), I could search the airport for something else I can eat (potatoe chips like Doritos or something if nothing else, but usually there are bagel places or whatnot) to bring on the plane. I'm sure many of the items wouldn't be from a nut-free facility, since most snack foods are labeled as such and that's almost all that I'd be able to find in an airport to eat on a plane. And the peanuty bars would still be with me on the plane, I just wouldn't open the wrappers.

We need a medication to limit the reaction of someone allergic - they're working on it.

Some guy also invented an allergen-free peanut, I heard. If it tastes like a "real" peanut/"real" peanut butter, that could be the wave of the future for snack and airline foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter