PCR test requirements at the border being re-examined

If you have COVID and get in a car and drive across you will still spread COVID "into Canadian communities". The plane is ancillary to the argument of either the test has value or it doesn't, and if it doesn't it should be gotten rid of.

Greyhound will be bringing busses across - should they have to bring a test as it would be very similar conditions (actually likely far worse if you've ever ridden one...) to a plane?

Not trying to be difficult, I'm just pointing out that being in a wheeled vehicle vs. an aeroplane is just semantics and has been brought up mostly by people wanting to drive across to shop.

Leaf's game with fully vaccinated people = safe. Plane with fully vaccinated people = unsafe.
As I said, I was only stating a reason why there is a difference, not that it had any benefits.

As I said, I was only stating a reason why there is a difference, not that it had any benefits.

I fully understand that - I wasn't attacking you personally but when I reread what I wrote it might seem that I was so apologies it you took it that way.

Leaf's game with full vaccinated, unmasked people=safe

Plane with fully vaccinated, masked people = unsafe

Even better Leaf's game with full vaccinated, unmasked people must be the safest place in the universe as it was the absolute first thing the province lifted all restrictions on save the vaccine pre-req. Funny that.

IMO I realistically can't see them lifting this requirement until after the holiday break due to:

1. Trends in UK precede what tends to happen here by 2-4 weeks. UK hospitalizations have been steadily, albeit slowly, increasing since October. Government of Canada will want to see what happens with this over November especially with holiday shopping expected to ramp up in late Nov-early Dec resulting in jam packed malls and other closed spaces.
2. Will likely be a huge rush of people taking trips over the holidays, many travelling to destinations with less strict rules (if any!) regarding social distancing, masks etc.
3. Lifting it makes sense for people taking quick trips, making it possible to lift the testing requirement for some travellers and not others. This will no doubt create more work for border patrol and customs workers - something that would not be a great idea to have to implement during a peak travel time.

If they can find a way to lift it for Spring 2022 I would be elated.

Not trying to be difficult, I'm just pointing out that being in a wheeled vehicle vs. an aeroplane is just semantics and has been brought up mostly by people wanting to drive across to shop.

Leaf's game with fully vaccinated people = safe. Plane with fully vaccinated people = unsafe.

It don't think it's just about mode of travel but that people flying out plans are more likely to be away for longer and thus potentially more time to potentially be infected before coming back. I agree that a double vaxxed person going across the border to shop for a day before returning carries low risk of returning with an infection. Still possible of course, but less likely.

I don't think we'll see a full lifting of testing requirements. I think that in conjunction with the approval to vaccinate 5-11, we'll see a move to rapid testing instead of PCR. I doubt we will see a full drop of the testing requirement until at least the spring. In theory I'm okay with this, but I definitely won't be travelling until at minimum we're down to a rapid test scenario, only because it's cost prohibitive and quite frankly I'm not prepared to quarantine for additional time if there's a positive.

I would love if they moved to a rapid test for our March 2022 trip - even better if it is on arrival. My plan is to change our flights from Halifax to Bangor if testing is still required to board an airplane home. That way we will only need a test to cross the land border on the way back.. heaven forbid it is positive, we will still be able to come home and quarantine here.

I would love if they moved to a rapid test for our March 2022 trip - even better if it is on arrival. My plan is to change our flights from Halifax to Bangor if testing is still required to board an airplane home. That way we will only need a test to cross the land border on the way back.. heaven forbid it is positive, we will still be able to come home and quarantine here.

A bit off track but I've never flown from Bangor before - What would be the flight to get to MCO? I assume you'd have to connect within the US?

A bit off track but I've never flown from Bangor before - What would be the flight to get to MCO? I assume you'd have to connect within the US?
Yes you have to connect somewhere....usually LGA, BOS, IAL, DCA or PHL.

We have a 4 hr drive to Halifax vs a 5 hr drive to Bangor...Halifax is more convenient with its direct flights which is why we almost always fly out of there. But the added hassle of the connection may be worth it for us if testing is still in place, for the peace of mind of getting home no matter what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter