Party for the Senses 10/20/07 - Join Us!!!

Sushi info???

The hubby and I are definitely sushi novices, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for us.

Previously some of you mentioned that the sushi pairing at the F&W festival last year was "tuna" heavy. Is there any reason in particular that they would chose to do this? I've got nothing against tuna, but I was hoping if we went to this tasting that we would get to sample all kinds of different sushis, as opposed to variations of the same fish.

Any input / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brenda :goodvibes

Boy, I come back to this thread after a 1/2 a day and it's on page 3!! :laughing: You guys can talk!!

Anyway, took me some catching up.

I think the reason that they use tuna mostly is because it seems to be the first thing, first time sushi eaters try. But, I'm not sure.

Marcel and I are also trying for the Sushi, Sake and Sashimi tasting on 10/22. If I find out they are booking, I will post asap!

We are also going to Sweet Sundays on 10/21, so we will be seeing you all again the day after PftS. :banana:

Brenda, don't forget to pm me your address so I can send out a booklet. I'm starting a list and will make up the envelopes ahead of time so I can get them right out.

We live in Largo, Florida and it usually takes us around 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the gates of WDW. Now that they fixed I-4, it's a pretty easy trip. :love:

Sheryl, I love your anniversary present. We have one and we just love it. I keep an excel list of all the wines in the cooler so it's easy to locate them. :drinking1

Hi this is Tom and Mary Ann. We will be at the 10/20 PFTS (and also the 10/27) along with our friends Larry & Lynne. I've lost count of how many of these we've been to since we went to this event when it was at the Odyssey and the past few years we have done this event twice each year. We will be at the Disney Boardwalk Villas from 10/19 to 10/30. These are the only F&W events we are doing this year but we will also be hitting many of the signature restaurants (V&A's, Cali Grill, Artist Point, Citrico's and Flying Fish) during our trip.​

I think we've been to the Sushi and Saki pairings 3-4 years running now and have always enjoyed this but at $90 a couple now plus tax we have decided to go to some of our favorite restaurants instead this time and use the DDE card.

I believe they had tuna, salmon for the sashimi and all tuna for the rolls (and it might have been some type of steak sushi for the third item last year). I don't think anything was really spicy but my memory is poor due to too much alcohol consumption :)

We usually don't bother with the tables for the PFTS and just keep moving (except for two or three years ago when the FIL/MIL came with us - they are in their 70's). Would always love to meet some fellow Dis'ers. We are more beer people (and I'm really serious about my beer selections) than wine but we enjoy wine too and good food of course.

I think they use tuna because its the 'safest' in terms of people enjoying it so more people would enjoy the event. I think its a same that they seem to do it that way, since if you are willing to do a Sushi, Saki pairing you should be somewhat adventorous with trying new types of sushi - as long as they don't serve blowfish (I'm not even that crazy)

Welcome to CDtommie!! Looking forward to meeting you and your friends in October!

This puts the group total at 20 right now - woo hoo! :yay:

Thanks to everyone for the information on the sushi pairings. Melissa, I'm with you - if peeople are willing to come to the pairing in the first place then give them a little credit for being adventurous and let them sample different types of sushi. I'm sure we'll still try to book the pairing for 10/15, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect.

Jeanne, I'll go ahead and PM you with my address. Thanks again for offering to do this - anything we can do to help with postage?

Brenda, I'm with you on the would have spent tons of money if! I was planning on booking a signature or ee evening but nothing was appealing enough to spend the big bucks.

Krissy, That Sushi pairing sounds great! My fav sushi is tuna also, DH not so much. Don't think I'm going to be able to convince him. :confused3

Melissa, Thanks for making the call! We have 16 now, I don't recall seeing any really large tables, but three of tables that seat 6 would work. If it doesn't work out, we'll just pick several of our fastest runners to nab tables! :laughing:

Sort of totally OT, but an early anniversary present from my DH came in today, an 18 bottle dual zone wine fridge!! Set up this morning & tried it on a bottle of Pierre Sparr Gewurtz tonight! Now we can pretend we are real wine snobs! :laughing:
I wanted to go to the Signature Dinner at California Grill but it's not happening when we're there. I wish I could take more days in Disney but work will be in full force and taking even one day off is an issue at my school.

Welcome Tom & Mary Ann!!!

I can't believe we are up to 20 foodies already!!! :goodvibes

Tom, I'm Sheryl & DH Bob, like an occasional brew also. Especially when cruising WS & trying out all the different beers!

Jeanne, I don't think that I'll need an excel sheet to keep track of wine in my little fridge. In fact, we move them in & out to quickly to track it! :laughing: I haven't stocked it up yet. A bit worried that we are going to find the temp for reds too cold. We are used to drinking most reds at room temp or chilled for only 5 minutes or so. AT what temps do you keep your wines?

Jennifer, If we lived any closer to WDW, F&W fest would definitely run us into bankruptcy! There were so many different dinners we were interested in, but they are just so spread out thru the Fest schedule.

Shovan,

My dad thought me this. He said to keep the wine cooler at around 53-55 degrees. It is a good temperature to "store" the wine, both red and white. Then when ready to drink, we either put the white in the fridge for a little while or take the red out of the cooler for a little while. It seems to work perfectly for us. I have a chart somewhere as to what temps to serve different wines, but as we all know, each person's taste is different as is wine! :)

Welcome Tom & Mary Ann!!!

I can't believe we are up to 20 foodies already!!! :goodvibes

Tom, I'm Sheryl & DH Bob, like an occasional brew also. Especially when cruising WS & trying out all the different beers!

Jeanne, I don't think that I'll need an excel sheet to keep track of wine in my little fridge. In fact, we move them in & out to quickly to track it! :laughing: I haven't stocked it up yet. A bit worried that we are going to find the temp for reds too cold. We are used to drinking most reds at room temp or chilled for only 5 minutes or so. AT what temps do you keep your wines?

Jennifer, If we lived any closer to WDW, F&W fest would definitely run us into bankruptcy! There were so many different dinners we were interested in, but they are just so spread out thru the Fest schedule.
It would definitely bankrupt me. I'd be at all the dinners outside epcot every night!!

It would definitely bankrupt me. I'd be at all the dinners outside epcot every night!!

If Shaun and I end up moving like he wants to, F&W is going to steal all our extra money in October.

As long as he's aware of that I guess its ok.

If Shaun and I end up moving like he wants to, F&W is going to steal all our extra money in October.

Lol!! As long as he's aware than it's ok!! I'll be going next year with the Dbf and he has no idea what he's in for. I plan on bankrupting him for real! lol!!

Hi all!

I'm Erica and DH is Lionel. Brenda twisted my arm so we're going to join the PFTS. I like to think we're pretty fun too, but that may only be in our heads. Sometimes we break out in geek talk, so you just have to tell us to shush.

Example:
Today at work, "Carry On My Wayward Son" came on the radio and I blurted out that this song is pretty hard to play on Guitar Hero. I got crickets. And a few raised eyebrows.

Anyhow, we haven't booked yet.....do you think it is in danger of selling out?

Looking forward to it. This will be our 4th F&W as a couple, and Lionel's one millionth. Though he contests this.

Lol!! As long as he's aware than it's ok!! I'll be going next year with the Dbf and he has no idea what he's in for. I plan on bankrupting him for real! lol!!
HAHA I understand that.

I'm lucky for this October trip, I only have to pay for 2 nights myself, I have the wedding voucher so I can renew my AP for free, FF miles for the tickets, 3 dinners on my own, and the F&W events (which is why I can do so many this year) so it isn't as expensive as a normal trip. This is good because the wedding is taking most of my extra money and his too. At least when Feb is over, we will have money again (which will then be taken by a house :rolleyes1)

And in other news, so this post is kinda on topic.
The group lady took my information and should be getting back to me tomorrow and tell me if it is even possible.
Something tells me it might not be, but here's for hoping! :goodvibes

Erica,

HAHA!!!
We'll get along great! I'm incredibly geeky too (and not many of my friends understand the greatness that is Drunken Mario Party on the Wii) except I really suck at Guitar Hero and Shaun makes fun of me for it big time but I can build robots and he can't so I win.

Hi all!

I'm Erica and DH is Lionel. Brenda twisted my arm so we're going to join the PFTS. I like to think we're pretty fun too, but that may only be in our heads. Sometimes we break out in geek talk, so you just have to tell us to shush.

Example:
Today at work, "Carry On My Wayward Son" came on the radio and I blurted out that this song is pretty hard to play on Guitar Hero. I got crickets. And a few raised eyebrows.

Looking forward to it. This will be our 4th F&W as a couple, and Lionel's one millionth. Though he contests this.

Woo hooty hoo, Erica's in the house! :banana: :banana:

Geek talk? Have I mentioned that I was recently nominated by my loving co-workers and employees as Queen of the Dorks for hosting a Harry Potter book release party? And no, I don't have children so that doesn't dilute the dorkiness one bit.

All hail the Dork Lord...:lmao:

Welcome to the party, Erica and Lionel - we're thrilled to have you here!

If he as been given fair notice, it is definitely A OK in my book!

Now your dear BF may be in for trouble!!! ;) To be into all of this stuff so early on, he is surely go to be in for a big shock!!! ;)

Hi all!

Example:

Woo hooty hoo, Erica's in the house! :banana: :banana:

Geek talk? Have I mentioned that I was recently nominated by my loving co-workers and employees as Queen of the Dorks for hosting a Harry Potter book release party? And no, I don't have children so that doesn't dilute the dorkiness one bit.

All hail the Dork Lord...:lmao:

Welcome to the party, Erica and Lionel - we're thrilled to have you here!

Welocm Erica & Lionel, very happy to have y'all onboard, go book the PFTS now! As far as the Geek stuff goes, maybe the rest of us are the geeks. :confused: Well I know the song & who Harry Potter is, but that's about it!:confused3 :laughing:

I'm so excited about meeting you all now!! We are going to have so much fun at the PFTS. We may have to make it an annual thing! :banana:

Just dropped by to say BYE :wave: I'll be leaving early in the morning for WDW will check back in when we return.

Welcome to the group Erica and Lionel.

Beckie

And in other news, so this post is kinda on topic.
The group lady took my information and should be getting back to me tomorrow and tell me if it is even possible.
Something tells me it might not be, but here's for hoping! :goodvibes

Melissa, I missed this yesterday. Thanks for making the call! Let's all make a wish on it!!

Just dropped by to say BYE :wave: I'll be leaving early in the morning for WDW will check back in when we return.

Beckie

Beckie, Have a great trip!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter