Park strategy for solo visit with no FP

just looking

Earning My Ears
I haven't been to WDW since 2002 but somehow managed to keep track of some park hopper tickets with unexpired days. :-) The problem is that I can't convert them to new tickets until I get to the park, and therefore can't get advance FP. :(

I've been avidly reading the board for the last couple of days to find out what's new and what my strategy should be. I think the 2 parks I want to visit are AK and Epcot (with just 2 days, I don't want to do park hopping). Here's what I've come up with:
1. I'll be at the park by myself - so I'll do any rides with single rider lines. Is it really only Expedition Everest and Test Track for these 2 parks?
2. I'll visit guest services the night before my visit, so I can get my tickets loaded to the app and not waste time in the morning. I'll try to get FP when I'm at the park by refreshing the app.
3. The first day I plan to be at AK before rope drop. On the 2nd day, Epcot has morning EMH so I'll plan to be there for that. (I'm staying at a hotel that participates).

Anything else I should consider? Any advice on fun stuff to do by myself? I actually thought a character meal would be fun, but everything was already completely booked when I checked (it was 56 days out).

Yup single rider lines really are rare at Disney....

If you really want a character meal, I’d suggest checking the app the day before. Some people either have multiple reservations or just cancel their plans based on what they’re in the mood for and wait till the day before to avoid a no show charge. You may get lucky.

I haven't been to WDW since 2002 but somehow managed to keep track of some park hopper tickets with unexpired days. :-) The problem is that I can't convert them to new tickets until I get to the park, and therefore can't get advance FP. :(

I've been avidly reading the board for the last couple of days to find out what's new and what my strategy should be. I think the 2 parks I want to visit are AK and Epcot (with just 2 days, I don't want to do park hopping). Here's what I've come up with:
1. I'll be at the park by myself - so I'll do any rides with single rider lines. Is it really only Expedition Everest and Test Track for these 2 parks?
2. I'll visit guest services the night before my visit, so I can get my tickets loaded to the app and not waste time in the morning. I'll try to get FP when I'm at the park by refreshing the app.
3. The first day I plan to be at AK before rope drop. On the 2nd day, Epcot has morning EMH so I'll plan to be there for that. (I'm staying at a hotel that participates).

Anything else I should consider? Any advice on fun stuff to do by myself? I actually thought a character meal would be fun, but everything was already completely booked when I checked (it was 56 days out).

As soon as you get your tickets loaded to MDE, try to book some FP+. Chances are FoP, Nav'i and FEA will be gone, but your chances of getting anything else you might want are pretty good. I would recommend doing rope drop at AK and going directly to FoP. You could then get in line for Nav'i, if you want, but, IMHO, if you skip it, you aren't missing much. Yes, you can single rider EE, so I would look for, at the very least, Safari and Dinosaur as your FP+ and perhaps Primeval or Kali River Rapids depending on your preference.

In EP, yes, you can single rider TT. Your chances of getting a Soarin' FP+ once your ticket is linked is pretty darn good. If FEA is still available, I would FP+ that over Soarin' as the line gets longer. Your chances of getting Soarin' as a 4th FP+ is also very good. FP+ will most likely still be available for all Tier 2 rides. Personally, in Tier 2, I would FP+ Spaceship Earth and Mission Space.

As soon as you get your tickets loaded to MDE, try to book some FP+. Chances are FoP, Nav'i and FEA will be gone, but your chances of getting anything else you might want are pretty good. I would recommend doing rope drop at AK and going directly to FoP. You could then get in line for Nav'i, if you want, but, IMHO, if you skip it, you aren't missing much. Yes, you can single rider EE, so I would look for, at the very least, Safari and Dinosaur as your FP+ and perhaps Primeval or Kali River Rapids depending on your preference.

In EP, yes, you can single rider TT. Your chances of getting a Soarin' FP+ once your ticket is linked is pretty darn good. If FEA is still available, I would FP+ that over Soarin' as the line gets longer. Your chances of getting Soarin' as a 4th FP+ is also very good. FP+ will most likely still be available for all Tier 2 rides. Personally, in Tier 2, I would FP+ Spaceship Earth and Mission Space.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so this is very helpful. I'm putting your suggestions in my file.

I'm glad to hear about the Soarin' FP possibility. Soarin over California is my favorite Disneyland ride.

Yup single rider lines really are rare at Disney....

If you really want a character meal, I’d suggest checking the app the day before. Some people either have multiple reservations or just cancel their plans based on what they’re in the mood for and wait till the day before to avoid a no show charge. You may get lucky.
TY, I will keep checking.

How busy will it be? Are you talking Christmas week? Mid-week or weekend?

We were at Epcot in August. It seemed busy, but the line for Soarin didn't get obnoxious (over 40 mins) until maybe 11 or so. Don't discount hopping. I was there in May with a friend for one day. We did EP, Studios and closed AK on line for FoP. It was a blast!

It's been 18 months since we were there last, but getting FPs for one were pretty easy to get in June 2017.

We will find out in a few months.

This is how I'd do it, but I'm no expert...

For Epcot:
Rope drop Frozen Ever After
Single rider for Test Track
Hopefully FP+ for Soarin, Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth
Additional FP+ can be grabbed on the go via the MDE app on your phone for the remaining attractions (Figment, Nemo, Living with the Land, Pixar shorts)
Don't forget to ride the boat ride in Mexico!

For AK:
Rope drop Flight of Passage
Possibly go to Na'vi River Journey after FOP if the stand-by wait isn't too long (or maybe you'll luck out and get a FP+ for it)
Single rider Expedition Everest
Hopefully FP+ for Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids
You can do additional FP+ for things like Bug's Life, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo: The Musical on the go via the app (good time to rest)

I like to FP+ anything and everything I can, even if the waits aren't terribly long. If I've already done my original 3 and I want to do pretty much everything in the park, I'll keep booking FP+, and once I'm in the queue for one ride, I'll be setting up the FP+ for the next one. Rinse and repeat.

If you're going to be there by yourself, you'll have no troubles getting same day FP+ for pretty much anything you want, with the possible exception of FoP.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so this is very helpful. I'm putting your suggestions in my file.

I'm glad to hear about the Soarin' FP possibility. Soarin over California is my favorite Disneyland ride.
Get the middle set of ride vehicles or prepare for disappointment.

How busy will it be? Are you talking Christmas week? Mid-week or weekend?

We were at Epcot in August. It seemed busy, but the line for Soarin didn't get obnoxious (over 40 mins) until maybe 11 or so. Don't discount hopping. I was there in May with a friend for one day. We did EP, Studios and closed AK on line for FoP. It was a blast!

It will be in Mid Nov (after Jersey week but before Thanksgiving week). So I think I'm pretty good on the timing of crowds.

As far as hopping...my husband will be on this trip with me, but working. If he's free for dinner, I really need to spend some time with him in the evening. :). So my time at the park will basically be 9-5 or so. We will probably do a Disney restaurant, but he won't want to go to a park for the evening.

You don't need to do Epcot EMH unless you wan to get up that early. You could switch days with AK. If I were going to do an EMH between Epcot and AK, I would choose AK due to the FOP mayhem.

What rides do you want to go on? Since you haven't been in so long, I'll give you a short run down.

Epcot

Frozen Ever After (most popular ride in the park) They turned the Norway boat ride into the Frozen Ever AFter ride. They did a nice job and the under 4 foot crowd is what drives the high waits for this ride.
Soarin' is no longer over CA. It is now the world and not nearly as good.
Test Track is now tron themed and not nearly as good as classic Test Track IMHO.
Nemo and Figment remain.
Mission Space is also still there and was reimagined a bit a couple of years ago but still with an intense (spinning) side and less intense (non-spinning) side.

Animal Kingdom

Flight of Passage (best ride ever in all the world EVER) ok opinion but WOW!
Rivers of Light (boat ride but cute)
Expedition Everest you already mentioned
Safari (I don't like it as much now that they got rid of the storyline)
Kali Rivers Rapid (spinning boat ride where you will get gushing soaked, sprinkled, or dry) ya never know.

Assuming you want all here are my suggestions:

Epcot

RD FEA
Test Track single rider
Mission Space
FP Soarin'
Nemo
The Seas Aquarium
Space Ship Earth
World Showcase

Animal Kingdom
RD FOP (will have to get there REALLY early to be at the front of the GINORMOUS pack)
EE
Safari
Dinosaur
FP ROL

I agree with PP's that as a single person you should be able to get 3 fastpasses in each park. They do release same day fastpasses so those that didn't have access to advanced FP have an opportunity to get some.

Really, if you are willing to get to a park early (45 minutes or more before RD), you can get a lot done. Have a great time!

wow way to get OP excited for the trip.
OP was excited to go on Soarin’ Over CALIFORNIA. Read her post.

I just gave my opinion. It’s not my job to get OP excited. She seems quite capable of having her own emotions. But thanks for your assessment of my opinion.

Last edited:
It looks like you have been reading up, but a quick note on rope drop at AK. If the park opens at 9, you will be best served to be in line no later than 8:00. They start letting people through the turnstiles around 8:30 and you will be held on the bridge into Pandora. At 8:00, you will not be in the front of the line. It builds up quickly. At 8:30, you will already be in a 1+ hour wait by the time you are in the attraction line.

Where were you looking to do a character meal? I don’t doubt that some where booked when you looked but it’d be surprising that all were booked.
Our favorite is Tusker House and it’s almost always available at some time. Try that.

On my solo trip I was able to do the following within the am emh hour at Epcot:

Frozen Ever After
Soarin’
Test Track

I was at the Epcot gate by 7:25am. Turnstiles tapped and entered the park by 7:45. Released at 7:55am. Walked quickly and arrived at FEA by 8:10. Off the ride by 8:15. Back at the Land by 8:26, on and off Soarin’ by 8:45 and over to Test Track and in a ride vehicle by 9am.

This was early September so I was a hot sweaty mess by that point but well worth it to get all that done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter