Pal Mickey chip

heart

Mouseketeer
My kids (who are about 100 times more computer literate than me, I'll admit) tell me that we need to stop at a store when we arrive at WDW and have Pal Mickey computer chip in his nose updated.

The kids aren't trying to play a joke on me. They believe this to be true. Is it? I haven't read anything on the boards and searching gets me other Pal Mickey topics.

Thank you.

No, you don't have to do anything- it should reset itself when you walk into a park. If it doesn't work though, you can take it into a giftshop and have them do it. -Stephanie

I'm not sure how you would know if he is reset, but when I rented one on my last trip, the CM I was talking with said that if you buy one you should stop by a gift shop (that rents them / sells them) so they can update his nose.

It probably couldn't hurt to have it updated when you get there. I know that the camera/gift shop on the right as you enter Epcot will do it.

Hope that helps!

D4D

You need to have Pal Mickey's power on when going through the entrance area for his chip to be updated. Also have him facing forward (preferably either holding him or on his belt clip).

As you walk around the park, he will "buzz" and chuckle. Press either hand for his message. Have fun! :)

We took our Pal Mickey back to WDW about 6 months after we had bought him. I'd suggest you take him to one of the gift shops and have him updated. Our Pal Mickey was having alot of problems. He wouldn't pick up things that other Pal Mickeys were picking up. The CMs were very nice. They updated him a couple of times and even gave him some new batteries. They told me if I had any more problems with him they'd replace him. But after the second update and the new batteries, he worked fine.

We bought our Pal Mickey during our February trip, then during our April trip I took him to a gift shop to get him "updated." I was told that it was not needed...he automatically resets when you enter the park. He did not get updated by anyone and all the info including parade and fireworks, park hours, etc. was correct. Just make sure you have him in hand when you enter the parks.

Updated isn't really the right word here: Re-oriented would be a better one.

To say that PM is updated would mean that he received newer or different information, and that's not correct. PM knows what he knows and that's it. He can, however, become disoriented in a couple of ways:
*if his nose is not pointing forward at the entrance of the park he will not get the sensor telling him which park he is in
*certain rides (Test Track and Space Mountain are the two I've heard cause this) can discombobulate him (for reasons not quite known) and then he needs to be "woken up" to work right.

The way to tell if your Pal isn't quite right is more of an omission sort of signal: if you enter a land in Epcot, for example, and he doesn't want to tell you something, or stays silent for a long period of time as your navigating one of the other parks, it's a good bet that he doesn't know where he is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter