Packages?

Shoestring

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

Am going to WDW this Spring with my husband and son. I decided to do the Mega Magic Package, details at www.downtowndisneyhotels.com. We booked a room at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista. For $99 per adult, per night, for 4 nights (kids are free) we get a standard queen, four-day park hopper pass, buffet breakfast every morning, two free passes to Pleasure Island, shuttle service of course, and for 10 dollars a day more, I booked a room overlooking the fireworks displays.

I have done much research; Frommer's rates the BW Lake Buena Vista a value hotel, and there are positive posts about the resort here. I did the math, and for what I wanted (a moderate hotel room near the parks), it seemed like a good deal, esp. when I added up what the hopper pass would cost independently of a mod. hotel room -- even at a budget rate.
But after hearing the many warnings to stay away from package deals, I am starting to wonder if this is a good deal for what I want, or am I just fooling myself?

Thanks in advance for any input from the seasoned Disney experts!

Disney on a Shoestring

Hi Shoestring and WELCOME TO THE DIS!!! :)

It sounds like you have done your homework and have priced each of the components separately to find the value of your package. Most of the packages that we speak of are Disney packages that include room, Unlimited Hopper Passes, and sometimes a Magic Wish - which can be a character breakfast, a photo session, or some other recreational thing. A lot of the times when you price these out, you find that you have not really saved any money, and after research, you realized that you don't really WANT the UMPs, etc.

To me, the biggest questions that you have are the quality of your accomodations, how often your transportation runs, etc. If you have positive feedback about these things, then you probably have done fine.

Good Luck! Keep reading the Budget Board for more ideas on savings, and again - Welcome to the DIS! :)

Shoestring -

Does that price include the Park Tickets for the kids?

If not -- you seem to be paying about $95 - $100 a night for the hotel room, which is what the rate for the Best Western shows to be on Expedia.

When are the dates of your trip? If you really want to do Disney on a shoestring, it helps to go in the off season.
:)

(4 nights @ $99/pp = $792 + $40 upgrade to better view = $832)
Compared to booking onsite yourself
2 4 day Hoppers = $407.04
2 Pleasure Island Tickets = $42.00
Buffet Breakfast = $40 (guessing)
4 nights at a vaule hotel $77/night = $308)
Total = $797.02

You said you would have picked a moderate hotel and that would add up to even more. I did not add the cost of your son in because I don't know how old he is:D If a 4 day child's hopper ($161.12) is included in the package you bought then it looks like you got a good deal!

Sometimes packages are just easier to deal with. It may be cheaper to do everything separately but it may not be worth the time involved. Looks like you got a reasonably priced package without many "extras" that may go unsed.

Hope you enjoy the trip!!!!

Hi,

The price does not include my son, who is eight. We are going in peak season, only time we could get off.

Thanks for the replies all. This site is treally great.

Cheers.

If you still need to buy a Hopper for your son - or if you decide to go with a non package deal, check out one of the discount ticket sites such as

http://www.floridaorlandotickets.com

I would still keep your eyes open here, on the Resorts Board, and at Mousesavers for Hotel deals during your time period.

There were some special rates offered last year during the peak seasons.

http://www.mousesavers.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter