Overnight trip from Disneyland to Grand Canyon

heidispidi

Mouseketeer
I am coming over to Disneyland in January from Austraia and am thinking that my daughter (8) and I might get bored over 7 days if we just 'do Disney' the whole time. I am not too interested in visiting San Diego, and I think my girl is too young to appreciate a side-trip to San Francisco, so I was thinking of planning a 2 day/1 night visit to the Grand Canyon.

Do you think she would enjoy this? Me, there are so many places I'd love to visit in the US, but as we only have 7 nights (followed by 4 nights on the way home in Hawaii), I'd like to at least fit in something that is relatively 'close by' to Anaheim.

If we decide to go to the Grand Canyon, do you suggest we go with a tour group (if so, which?). And is it easiest to fly from LAX to Las Vegas, then join a tour group from there? From what I've seen, it's a 1 hour flight to Vegas, and a tour group (recommendations?) could pick us up from our hotel (any suggestions which hotel?), and we could either drive or be flown out to the GC, spend the day out there, and return to Anaheim the next day.

If not the GC, how about Yellowstone? Or it it too far for a night or 2? I have a feeling it is...

I'm not sure what's best, so I"m happy for any suggestions you might have! TIA.

Hey Heidi. Is this yours and your 8 yo DD's first trip over to LA?

There's a lot to do in LA and a heap of theme parks other than Disney if this is your first trip. It all depends on whether you are planning to drive or whether you are thinking of doing tours to get around; and what your interests are; and whether you're happy to spend the extra $$ on the flight and tour to Vegas/GC.

GC is always worth a visit - but it's about how much time you have to allocate to it. And Vegas is also worth spending some time in as well. It's pleasant there in winter (GC) if it isn't snowing. You might have to factor in winter snows in January...and potentially find yourself sitting in the motel room if it's snowing heavily. (We've been there in early January once and have had to sit out a day this way).

Are you planning on visiting the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park or Sea World, if the theme park thing appeals? All of these are require full day and are located closer to San Diego. We've based ourselves in Anaheim and have easily driven to these parks in a day and back.
If these appeal, then I'd recommend that you check out the Southern Californian City pass (not sure if you already know about this pass or not), which will give you 3 days park hopper in DLR; 1 day Universal Studios; 1 day SeaWorld and 1 day EITHER at the SD Zoo OR WAP. The price for City pass is really good - about $270 adult; $220 kids (and there are on-line places that offer discounts).

If you're looking for outdoorsey things, then there is Big Bear Mountain/Lake area just outside of LA. There might be snow in January (as there could be in GC). If there is snow, you could try skiing...
Alternatively, you could do an overnight stay (or day trip) at Catalina Island. Also, the Pacific Grey Whales migrate down to Mexico in January - so you could look at doing a whale watching trip out of LA. Then there's Anza Borrego (desert) National Park; and winter is apparently the best time of year to visit (I've done it in the height of summer; stupid me!!).

Plus there is shopping......and seeing the other attractions around LA :)

What would your daughter prefer to do?

I personally LOVE San Francisco and my 9 yo DS really enjoys going there. It's an easier city to get around by public transport and we end up doing a lot of walking in the downtown area.

We've also been to Yellowstone - it is further to get to, also more northerly (which means colder and potentially more snow) and MUCH bigger and more things to see. We had 3 nights there and we felt that it wasn't enough to see the NP really well.

ps. I'm heading to Catalina for the first time in May; so if you want to know more, I can update you when I get back. Alternatively, post a thread on Catalina and Sherry E (one of the moderators) will be more than happy to share her knowledge and love of the island.

Thanks for your reply, you've given me so much more to consider!

It is both of our 1st trips to the US. I think that's why I'm so keen to fit in whatever I possibly can, while trying to limit the travel somewhat, as well as doing as much as we can at DL. My sister will be with us for this 1st week of of our trip, and she is 100% focussed on DL (she was there 3 years before and loved it), so I also need to make sure we spend as much time as possible with her.

I'd like to do tours, and leave the driving to smeone else. If they drove on the left side, I'd have no problem though LOL. I know it will be more costly this way, but that's OK, I've factored it in.

I'll research further the options you've supplied, and come back with more plans! Thanks again.

OK, change of plans. We'll most likely be going to San Francisco, midway through our 7 nights in Anaheim. Will fly to San Fran at night, have a full day to visit Alcatraz and have a general look around the city, before flying back that night for more Disney the following day. My sister is, I thibk, 95% sure she wants to come with us - yay!

Any advice re hotels to stay in (max. $300 for the night) would be appreciated, along with a good tour company, as we wont be driving?

Heidispidi - have you booked your long haul tickets yet? Would you consider doing an open jaw ticket - fly into LA, fly out of SF (or vice versa) and into Hawaii? That way you don't have to back track from SF.

Here are a couple of suggestions for things to do in 2 days for SF....
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2412421

SF is a GREAT city to do by public transport and by walking. From the airport, depending on the number of bags you have, you can catch the BART into the downtown area. When I was last there in 2009, it was about $5.50 per person one way and we got off at Market street near our hotel.

I just re-read your post and realised that you're thinking of flying in late at night into SFO; and therefore will be more likely to take a taxi or a shuttle into the city.

I normally stay around Silicon Valley; near my husband's company...but the last trip in 2009, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt up the Financial District; near the Ferry Building. It is a nice hotel and we had a view of the Bay Bridge; which was lovely at night (and we didn't go for a room with a balcony).

Your alternative is to stay closer towards Fisherman's Wharf (My in-laws like the Marriott there; I haven't stayed there so I can't comment) or in the downtown shopping area around Union Square.

Thanks Princess :-) Looks like we will fly into SF on the evening of the 11th, visit Alcatraz and 'do' as much as we can via hop-on/hop-off cable cars. Planning on staying at the Argonaut, as it's so close to the piers and also cable cars.

Have to plan everything else!

You might want to check whether Alcatraz is running a late tour on the 11th. I understand that they have sunset tours; but you'd also need to check the ferry times as well.

If you're there in Jan, it will cold (like a Melbourne winter) and I think Pier 39 should be opened late.

Sorry, my post was ambiguous! We'll fly in at night, get some sleep, THEN go to Alcatraz in the morning :-) My littke munchkin (she'll be 8 then) will no doubt be ready for a sleep once we arrive at our hotel!

Ugh, I hate Melbourne winter. Actually I only ever go there for work, so it's airport, taxi, hotel, taxi, airport - I think I need to actually go on a holiday there to see if I could grow to like it. It's cool enough here now (Sydney), maybe I'll do Melb next year!

I'll be booking San Fran tomorrow (flights/hotel/Alcatraz tour). Just need to confirm flight prices. It was around US$560 for the 3 of us to fly with United, I'll be sure to check AA as well, and SW. With the dollar at US0.93 today, I want to get as much as I can paid for now!

I am also going in 2nd to 28 Jan 2011. We have a flights booked through Hawaiian Airlines. As we are stopping over in Hawaii before continuing to LA. this is our first visit to USA and there are three of us. We were also considering the grand canyon option. We decided against it as the coach ride was a long one over five hours one way and we could not find a suitable tour. This forum has been great and given us lots of ideas.
We are spending six days in Disneyland as well as 5 nights in LA. Have a great trip.

Sorry, my post was ambiguous! We'll fly in at night, get some sleep, THEN go to Alcatraz in the morning :-) My littke munchkin (she'll be 8 then) will no doubt be ready for a sleep once we arrive at our hotel!

Ugh, I hate Melbourne winter. Actually I only ever go there for work, so it's airport, taxi, hotel, taxi, airport - I think I need to actually go on a holiday there to see if I could grow to like it. It's cool enough here now (Sydney), maybe I'll do Melb next year!

I'll be booking San Fran tomorrow (flights/hotel/Alcatraz tour). Just need to confirm flight prices. It was around US$560 for the 3 of us to fly with United, I'll be sure to check AA as well, and SW. With the dollar at US0.93 today, I want to get as much as I can paid for now!

Wow! That sounds like a lot to go LA to SF. If you aren't in a rush, I'd wait a while to see if there are deals in a couple of months...and perhaps someone in the US would be able to advise whether the price is right or not. I think SW usually are cheaper by about 20%...

Checking my notes here, it's US$587 for the 3 of us, so US$195 return each. Not so bad? I'll get some work out of the way now (the joys of a 7am start!), then do more flight research. Unless Aust has done it for me by now?!

1rocky, I wish I was going away for 4 weeks like you, 2 weeks just doesn't seem enough! We're flying QANTAS to LA, spending 7 nights there (with 1 in SF during that week), then ending our trip with 4 nights in Hawaii. I figured my daughter and I would need to relax after so much DL LOL. You're right, people on this board have been giving us great advice! Enjoy your trip - waiting until January is the hardest part, I think!

Just did some googling. It would appear that SW fares can go as low as sub $50 one way in January. How did your price comparison go?

Well, b/w yesterday and today, the United flights fell several dollars each to US$562. Why, I don't know! So, just to get it done, and to put another tick in the planning and costing spreadsheet (you know you all have them! LOL), I booked through the United Aust website, it cost AU$606 for the 3 of us (total). Fly out of Santa Ana (Orange County) on the evening of the 12th, fly back in on the 13th. Gives us another full day in DL on the 14th before Aust flies home to Sydney, and my daughter and I move on to Hawaii.

(I looked on the SW website but couldn't get prices for anything beyond Oct?).

I also booked the Argonaut today, a Qu/Qu Bay View room. It looks to be well situated, and a lovely hotel, if only for 1 night. Got breakfast included for Aust and I for $1 extra. I figure the way the dollar is, it's not a bad idea to pay for as much as I can right now. Next week I'll be starting on my ANZ travel card :banana: Shouldn't be this excited about spending so much money, but seeing as I'm not allowed to 'sport-shop' until after this trip (or during!), I'm just happy to be spending money somewhere other than Woolies. How sad am I!

I showed my daughter a few of the sights of San Fran on the net this afternoon, she seemed pretty excited (this was before she fell off the back of our feral neighbour's bike, resulting in a trip to the medical centre). To include her further in the planning, I'm going to let her choose whether we spend a day at Universal Studios, in San Diego (zoo maybe), or whether we go on a day trip into LA. I am pretty sure she'll pick LA, as she wants to see Hannah Montana's house, and if not hers, anyone else's house that she's heard of!

Well, b/w yesterday and today, the United flights fell several dollars each to US$562. Why, I don't know! So, just to get it done, and to put another tick in the planning and costing spreadsheet (you know you all have them! LOL), I booked through the United Aust website, it cost AU$606 for the 3 of us (total). Fly out of Santa Ana (Orange County) on the evening of the 12th, fly back in on the 13th. Gives us another full day in DL on the 14th before Aust flies home to Sydney, and my daughter and I move on to Hawaii.

I also booked the Argonaut today, a Qu/Qu Bay View room. It looks to be well situated, and a lovely hotel, if only for 1 night. Got breakfast included for Aust and I for $1 extra. I figure the way the dollar is, it's not a bad idea to pay for as much as I can right now. Next week I'll be starting on my ANZ travel card :banana: Shouldn't be this excited about spending so much money, but seeing as I'm not allowed to 'sport-shop' until after this trip (or during!), I'm just happy to be spending money somewhere other than Woolies. How sad am I!

I showed my daughter a few of the sights of San Fran on the net this afternoon, she seemed pretty excited (this was before she fell off the back of our feral neighbour's bike, resulting in a trip to the medical centre). To include her further in the planning, I'm going to let her choose whether we spend a day at Universal Studios, in San Diego (zoo maybe), or whether we go on a day trip into LA. I am pretty sure she'll pick LA, as she wants to see Hannah Montana's house, and if not hers, anyone else's house that she's heard of!

Sounds like you're all set; bar for getting the travel card and US$. Your plans sound great. And yes, great exchange rate. Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Southwest only opens flights about 6 months out at a time. On June 10th, they will open up their flights through January 7, 2011.

Thanks Princess, my little princess is OK. Though what a drama her bath was, with all her little cuts and scrapes! Seems her eye hurts when she blinks hard. Well, my dear, stop blinking hard then!

Going shopping today to find (hopefully) a Lonely Planet California guide. Not sure if they have one just for Cal, but I figure it's worth looking for.

If you do opt for SouthWest, look at flying in to Oakland rather than San Francisco . . . it's usually a lot less expensive and still realatively easy to get to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter