Our awesome Aulani trip thanks to disboards

Amw1064

DIS Veteran
While we were at Aulani, I made a collage each night of our days adventure and posted every night on Facebook for all of our friends to see. I will attempt to post those here. We left Florida on Wednesday, June 10 and returned Sunday, June 21 with 10 nights and 11 days in Hawaii. It was the best trip we have ever taken and I loved it more than any of the 20 something Disney cruises we have done. For anyone thinking of going, DO IT!!!! I was so nervous of the flight that we almost didn't make the trip. Was it great, no, but was it awful, no. With all the great threads here on the disboards, I honestly felt like we had our own tour guide with us the entire time. No trip could ever be so perfect as this was. So yes, we are planning on going back. Hoping for next June. After being there for 1 day I knew it. Even my 12 year old said, "mom, this is the best trip we have ever done".

My daughter is 12 and so she did go look around Aunties but didn't stay there but for one activity. She said it was awesome and thought it was better than the kids clubs on the Disney cruises. We did a lot of the family activities. She loved the Ohana hula lessons. One night Goofy joined the class and the following week Stitch did. She also loved the Ohana ukulele lessons and the Menehue scavenger hunt. She and my husband paddle boarded a few times but mostly while we were at Aulani, we hung out by the pools/hot tubs/lazy river and slides. We did not experience any problems with the chair issue. We just checked our stuff once an hour. Honestly, everything was absolutely great.

We didn't leave Aulani until Sunday. We had a rental car and so we went to Pearl Harbor and the swap meet. I had bought the tickets ahead of time so that was simple and we loved walking around the swap meet. We had a huge list of souvenirs we needed to get for everyone and we all enjoyed doing that. Monday Abbey had a surf lesson and we drove there. Maybe 15-20 minutes. That is probably the only thing that wasn't awesome. We used Girls Who Surf (and Abbey does surf a little here in Florida) It isn't them I wouldn't recommend, it was more of their location. There were other surf groups on both sides of us but our actual class was wayyyyyyyyy far out and in front of these rocks. It really scared Abbey being out so far. She is glad she did it but would not do it again with that company if that is their location. (and I forgot to write down the other ones next to us). So if I had to have one negative thing to say about 11 days, I guess that would be it. Not exactly a bad experience but just not awesome. On Tuesday we stopped at the Dole Plantation for a dole whip and a quick look around. Drove to Waimea falls and did the hike to the waterfall and then stopped at the beach with all the sea turtles. There was at least 20 of them. They were everywhere. Had shaved ice on the way back home. Spent 10 hours and loved everything we saw. Spent the remainder of our trip at Aulani. We had hoped to go over to the south eastern side but my husband did not feel well so Abbey & I had a girls day at the resort and back to Monkeypods for dinner.

We walked over to Paradise Cove lagoon 2 different days. The first day we saw the most friendly sea turtle. He came right over to us and I was kneeling in the water and it was soon in my lap. A very awesome experience and then we went back the next week and the turtle was still over there but also a monk seal. It was just sunning on the beach for a few hours and then headed back out in the ocean. Abbey loved that. They had a person kind of protecting it and she gave Abbey a book about Hawaiian monk seal and was really friendly. She said she loved seeing kids her age so interested in the wild life. (Abbey really liked the seal) We also did the luau at Paradise Cove. We loved it and all the preshow activities. Abbey loved making anything with the flowers. Our room was nicely decorated with leis, head pieces, bracelets, etc!!!!! She also got her hair done at the kids spa.

Hope this helps out someone. You can ask me any questions about anything as I asked plenty when planning our trip. I will attempt to post my collage pictures.

11391124_10206585598776050_6059960742829013310_n.jpg
Day 1

The last few days were just silly pictures with nothing exciting. I hope these posted. I can see them from my end but I am not the best computer person in the world. Sorry, I do not know how to make them smaller.

Love the report! We never made it over to the other cove where the turtles are. Now I wish we had gone! I was thinking we would walk all the way over there and see nothing! I also love your daughter's hair. We ended up dropping that too. Isn't it amazing? I feel like I had a hard time coming up with real downsides to Aulani. Even the ones I have are so totally minor. We also used Girls Who Surf but we met them in a campground and there was not anyone else around, but maybe that was luck of the draw.

AZMermaid, it is only a 5-10 minute walk to Paradise Cove. Next time you will have to walk over. Like I said in my report, I felt like everything was just to perfect. To see the sea turtle was great but then the seal on our next visit. As for the hair, for $43 (all taxes & gratuities) it was worth it. Abbey loved it. We did meet in the campground for Girls Who Surf and there was a surf school on the right of us and the left. Did your group go out right in front of rocks? (you would have had to climb over them to get into the water) They did have some awesome chair for the non surfers to lounge in.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and report. we arrive this coming Saturday and we can't wait! Our daughter is 14 (going on 40) and our son is 12. A few quick questions:
1) How was the weather each day? Did you find the evenings to be cool?
2) how much was it for your daughter's hair braiding, if you don't mine me asking, and was it done in the teen spa? Mine has been talking about the hair styling, but I won't make any promises!
3) would they allow your 12 year old into the teen activities? On the cruise, sometimes they allow the kids to bump up, so I was wondering if that's a possibility?

Scrapbook mom, we are from Florida and found the weather much less humid and not hot at all. In fact we never once got sunburned or even pink. (I did sunscreen us all but that many hours in the sun at home and we would have been fried!) it is very breezy at Aulani and for us we got chilled a lot coming out of the pools if the clouds had rolled over. We would hop out of the lazy river and grab a towel and in the evenings I would always bring a towel with me to the pool or hot tub. We never used a jacket or sweater though. It very lightly rained for about 2 hours one afternoon and for about an hour one evening. Both times we were out by pool and everything just kept going on and nothing was closed.

The hair braiding was done in the spa area. I made the appt before we left and told them we wanted the hair part of the keike wahine experience, with hair braiding and flowers. With the tip & taxes it was $43. I saw girls older than my daughter with it as well.

They are very strict with their ages for their clubs so no she could not go to the teen club. She will be 13 in September. They did tell me they were working on a better program for Tweens.

Thanks so much for your replies. I'll be prepared for the cooler evenings. The hair sounds like a reasonable price, so i will look more into that. It really looked beautiful! My son was hoping for something like the Edge for tweens. It's a tough age when you're too old for Auntie's programming and too young for the teen club.

Amw, so happy to hear your trip was even more fabulous than you had hoped! I'm not surprised though. :teeth: Aulani is truly amazing, isn't it? Worth that looooong flight from Florida! We stay as long as possible in Hawaii when we go every other year (occasionally I get to go more often, like this year! Woohoo!!). After our week at Aulani this last trip, DH and I both are more in love than we already were with Aulani. Though Maui is our favorite island, we feel that Aulani is simply outstanding and we very much enjoy every moment there! Glad to hear you guys are already planning a trip back! YAY!! :yay:

Thank you so much for your awesome report and pictures!

We will be at Aulani in 24 days! I have 13 and 16 year old sons.

Can you tell me if the Paradise Cove Luau has fire dancers? Which Pearl Harbor tour did you do? I am trying to decide if I should do things on my own or book excursions through Aulani.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Southerngirl, if you do Maui as well, do you go there first or Oahu first? How do you "island hop"? (meaning what airline do you recommend?) We actually bought Aulani points while we were there. We just absolutely loved it!!!!

Deanna2426, Paradise Cove luau does have a fire dancer. I am thinking it was just one guy doing it though. We just did the Arizona tour at Pearl Harbor. We had the rental car so I just booked 2 months in advance and bought the $1.50 tickets. As for excursions, our North shore excursion that we did on our own couldn't have been anymore perfect than any excursion Disney provided. Everything seemed so overwhelming before we got there but the roads are so easy to navigate and Aulani will provide you with directions to anywhere you want to go. All the tidbits I got off of here even told me exactly where to park for everything. My husband was amazed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter