Our 1st ever cruise 5/11/02

Mjasp

DIS Veteran
We went on this cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I was real nervous about sailing and about being seasick, bought all kinds of Dramamine, sea bands etc. Used none of it. Thank God. It was myself, DH, DD 10 and DD6. Along with us were 3 other families. Total 13 of us and yes they seated us all together, a pleasant surprise.

The food was surprisingly very good. We weren't expecting good food, and so again we were VERY pleased with the food. We found nothing we ate to be just OK. In our opinion, all our food was very good.
We had the LAPLAPL rotation and I really liked that rotation. Found Lumieres to be my favorite.

We were at the Radisson pre night, great hotel for the price $59, even $99 would be worth it. Nice pool, good restaurant. This is where we met up with some of our DIS friends. It was so much fun to meet everyone. I really had a blast at the Radisson. Joe and Joanne handed out lanyards and leis and of course he passed around the Boones Farm in pointy cups., Thanks again. I am saving our lanyards for next year. These were perfect as when you saw someone with them on you felt you knew them and went up and introduced yourself. Its funny, when I went up to someone in green, I would say "Hi, I'm MJASP" and then I'd say my name. LOL
The next morning we took the Avis shuttle to the port. No problem. My DH was barely out the Avis door after returning the car and our bags were in the van already. Would definitely do this again. Got out at the port and saw our bags again in our room.
We went up to deck 9 and had lunch and the kids went in the pool, My friend and I went to make Palo ressies. When you have more than 6 people (we had 7) Rinaldo (the mgr) has to make your ressies with you. No problem, we got the night we wanted.

Then it was lifeboat drill, very interesting, I really paid attention to this.

Then to sailaway party, real fun. Lots of green shirts on deck10.
Back to room to get dressed for dinner. After dinner we dropped kids at club/lab and then we just walked around the ship to get to know it.

Sunday...Awoke at about 5 A.M. with the choking aroma of sewage . Will not discuss this here anymore, if you want to know what happened read post " Our adventure in room 2612" We closed the bathtub room door and packed it with towels underneath so the stench couldn't seep through under the door.
Walked Key West on our own.. Went shopping and went to Margarittaville, and guess what we drank???

Sunday after Key West and Monday, our 1st day at sea...Spent most of the day at Guest Services, trying to have a pleasant vacation that we paid for.

Tuesday...Grand Cayman, Went to 7 mile beach, asked the cab driver to go to the Holiday Inn. The chairs are free and Holiday Inn lets you use their pool, across the street at their hotel for NO charge. Nice big pool and its good to cool off in. This was also our Palo's night. ZITA, ZITA, ZITA "THE BEST" She really has personality. I had the chicken stuffed with vegetables, DH had the Veal.. YES!!! It was finally me that made the right choice in entrees. His veal was good BUT my chicken was Incredible. Of course this is the night we got the champagne glass mementos with the 5/11 dates on it.

Wednesday...Cozumel, We went to Chankanaab Park, we were disappointed with this choice. We did everything on our own, no Disney excursions. Our friends went to Mr. Sanchos and had a blast. Again its what you are looking for. We wanted beach and maybe to see the dolphins. Too hot and long to walk around and find everything. We did see the Sea Lion show. The kids liked it.

Thursday...Day at sea. Sorry I couldn't enjoy the 1st day at sea. Because (I can't believe I'm saying this) Sea days are the best. I was concerned before we left about being in the middle of the ocean with nothing around. Send me on sea days anytime. Went to captains autograph signing today. Galley Tour. There is so much to do, you need sea days to do them. With kids 6 and 10 yrs old who always want to be in the pools. It was challenging to juggle. Next time its some afternoon lab time for them for an hour or so, so DH and I could do some tours together.

Friday...Castaway Cay, I can see why Disney saves this island for last. Its so you can remember the cruise at its best. I would recommend taking your own snorkel gear. As I rented 2 adults for DH and DD 10 yr old and 1 child.. Total was $60 and DH didn't even use his and the kids say the masks were so hard to see out of, I guess they were scratched or old and used. Costco has these items for about the same price and they are yours to keep. The beach was awesome and thanks to the kindness of Robin, we got to try the hammock. THANKS AGAIN ROBIN! Castaway Cay, to me is paradise.

Saturday...Debarking is swift and easy, although as a first cruiser you think your luggage is going to be all together and its not, so you think you have to look at all the racks with your color, but again when you realize it goes by the last 2 numbers of your room, then its easy to find all your luggage. Getting a porter can be tricky, but the DCL staff helps you when they see you are there and waiting and ready to go. We had the early breakfast at Lumieres and were on the DCL bus at 8 a.m. at the airport by 9 a.m.

After all is said and done, after our problem was remedied we did have a very nice time. Before that, believe me I really wanted to go home. We did book on board and you get a $200 stateroom credit for booking on board. I personally would like to try RCI or Celebrity, but our friends also rebooked and they feel with small kids DCL is probably better.

I will probably stop back and add things from time to time as I remember them.

Joanna

Thanks for the report and happy anniverary! I like sea days, too. Disney has lots of activities to do. One more sea day with the eastern itinerary since one less port for your next years trip.

Tina :)
Magic Western 236 days

I read your post about the room. Did they give you any shipboard credit for all the inconvenience? I'd write to DCL about it now that you are home. It seems not everyone with guest sevices provides the same service. I couldn't have stayed in a room like that. Hope your next trip is better.

Enjoyed your trip report. What a way to celebrate your 25th! Again, sorry about your room and hope you've contacted Dis and get some type of compensation. Noticing you had 13 in your group...can you give any advise to a group of 17 cruising in
Dec w/5connecting cabins on Deck 2? We were thinking of renting 3 vans...but hesitate as it could be confusing w/7grands(ages 1-15)and have re-thought maybe 'yourride'. Wondering what dining rotation is most likely with our age grp too. Glad to hear the Radisson was descent as that is where we are staying the nite before. Thanx for any input you can offer.
:)

You will be very happy with the Radisson.

I would check out Avis with the USA code. Then compare it with Yourride, Tiffany and Happy Limo. We rented a Buick Century for $30 with the USA code, so depending how many drivers you have it may be worth renting a few of cars, but keep in mind all the luggage.

I hope they can seat you all together. We were at a large oval table and of course the kids sat on one "U" of the table and the adults the other. So all the adults were able to talk and of course the kids all wanted to be together.

No, I didn't write or call Disney about the problem, do you think they actually care now that its after the fact. DH wants me write letter but I'll see, if I have time I will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter