OT - ADHD/school question (Sorry, long)

riu girl

DIS Veteran
DD was diagnosed with severe ADHD at age 3. She has now 8 and was reassessed (by same person) and the diagnose has been shifted to mild ADHD. Due to how well she is doing academcially (almost all A's) and behavioural improvements she no longer qualifies for a in class support person. Last year she had an in class support worker 50% and since that overall there were gains so this year no support.

She is trying so hard this year and is so happy that she has no support but without an aide (even part time) we are running into big attentional and impulsive issues at school. Basically she is having a really hard time following what is going on plus speaks a lot in class without raising her hand. Now that she is in grade 3 the behavioural expectations are high and without support she is already struggling. I have never told her she has ADHD and she is wondering why she is having a hard time. She tells me she is trying but sometimes she can't help but fidget/talk out/not pay attention/get lost in laa laa land etc. etc.

I don't want to tell her about the ADHD yet since I feel she would use it as a crutch but instead want to investigate some types of minerals/vitamin supplements. She has never been on any sort of prescription drugs and I am very interested in exploring vitamin/mineral supplements before I consider anything else. Also, we do yoga at home, but I think I will get her into a formalized class. Also, the school has her in a socail skills program 80 minutes per week. Also, we have her involved in a lot of group peer and one on one activities.

My question: any suggestions on what type of mineral vitamin supplements to give her. I have yet to take her to a naturapath but think I should try something like this maybe?

Thank you
PS : Its so sad, I observed her class the other day and she tries very hard to "behave" but for the first time ever I feel that she needs more then just me. I am a SAHM and spend all day doing housework, cooking, etc so when she comes home I will be able to give her 110%. Now I feel that that is not enough for her. I always thought I was enough to get her through things but I realize that she needs something extra to help her brain work as it should.

:hug: It's not easy! Wishing you luck in finding what will work!

With my DS, he knows all about his Diagnosis and is able to get the teacher's help when he realizes he isn't functioning at his best. For us, it is a true team effort, the school staff, teachers me and DS!

MY son goes to a chiropractor and is on suppliments not medication but he does all that with his father and the suppliments are in little baggies when I get them. I don't see any improvement but I think all options should be exhasted before taking strong medications. It may be that it take more time to work as well. I don't think there is one suppliment for each child I think they need to be evaluated for what vitamines and minerals they are deficent in and then they are Perscribed. I do know that essentail fatty acids are always given to children with ADHD that is fish oil or flax seed oil.
JenJen

This post is coming from the perspective of having worked in an inpatient Psych unit with children and adolescents (many with ADD or ADHD), having worked as a school nurse and being the aunt to 2 nieces and nephew with ADD (different sides of the family) and a nephew with Asperger Syndrome. It may be a perspective that you have not considered (and I hope you don't think I'm out of line for offering it).

You've said your DD doesn't know she has ADHD, but what does she know?
  • that she had a full time aide until last year.
  • that last year, she had a half time aide
  • that this year, she doesn't have an aide at all
  • that she's having problems:
    Basically she is having a really hard time following what is going on plus speaks a lot in class without raising her hand..............she is wondering why she is having a hard time. She tells me she is trying but sometimes she can't help but fidget/talk out/not pay attention/get lost in laa laa land etc. etc...........I observed her class the other day and she tries very hard to "behave"
To a child, it's a very small leap from "I can't behave" to "I can't behave because I am bad."
Kids are very observant and I can guarantee you that even though your DD doesn't know her exact diagnosis, she does know she's "different" than the other kids. The things that you posted say she is wondering why; so she knows the other kids are not having the problem she is. I don't know what she knows about why she had an aide and doesn't have one now, but I'm sure she noticed that the other kids didn't have aides. She probably feels very alone without her aide.
My one niece noticed that her classmates had an easier time with their schoolwork than she did. Before she was diagnosed with ADD, she figured she must be dumb compared to the other kids. Her mom never let her use ADD as an excuse for bad behavior, but as a reason why she might need to do things differently to avoid that behavior. My niece worked with a Psychologist and her teachers and family to come up with some techniques and strategies to deal with the problems her ADD caused her. Right now, she's studying Nursing.
My nephew with ADD had noticed things - one of the things he said before he was diagnosed was that once he got old enough, he was going to dye his hair black. His hair is red and he often gets people saying things like "Do you have a temper to match that red hair." To a child - that makes sense, so he thought he could get rid of some of his behavior problems by changing his hair.
My nephew with Aspergers was always in trouble for his behavior and really didn't understand why. He figured he couldn't behave because he was bad (actually, he goes to a Christian school and figured he was extra sinful).
Those are common reactions for kids. They do notice things and if they don't know why things are happening, they will come up with something that makes sense based on their limited experience with the world.

Good luck with your school year.

So this is what I have come up with:

I spent a couple hours again this morning in her class just observing her and its not like she is bad. She is just implusive and has a hard time staying on track, following along, transitions etc. You can see her really trying but just can't do these things. It seems natural for the other kids to follow along and raise their hands before speaking etc. It is not fair to her to NOT talk to her about her difficulties and help her with it.

So I have called a naturalpath (a highly reccommended one from a great person/one of DDs former teachers) and have a couple approintments set up for next week.

Sue M: I took what you said to heart and didn't tell DD she has ADHD but asked her how she is managing (paying attention, keeping on task etc etc) compared to the other kids. She said she tries but it is not easy for her like it is for the other kdis. I asked her if she wanted to go and see someone about this and perhaps get some vitamins/minerals that might help her out since she does seem to have some "special challenges". She looked very relieved that there might be vitamins etc that might help her and is really looking forward to to going to the appointments next week.

Its funny, when she is focussed the teacher says she is her top student and brilliant but I have seen her not focussed (most of the time) and you would think she had the mentality of a MUCH younger child. When not able to pay attention she can hardly follow a simple 2 or 3 step instruction. But when "on track" she is very much like other kids her age.

Thanks again to those who responded to this. This board has been such a help, not just with Disney, but so much more then that.

Any tips on what to discuss with the naturalpath?

Thank you
Suzy V.

riu girl said:
So this is what I have come up with:

I spent a couple hours again this morning in her class just observing her and its not like she is bad. She is just implusive and has a hard time staying on track, following along, transitions etc. You can see her really trying but just can't do these things. It seems natural for the other kids to follow along and raise their hands before speaking etc. It is not fair to her to NOT talk to her about her difficulties and help her with it.

So I have called a naturalpath (a highly reccommended one from a great person/one of DDs former teachers) and have a couple approintments set up for next week.

Sue M: I took what you said to heart and didn't tell DD she has ADHD but asked her how she is managing (paying attention, keeping on task etc etc) compared to the other kids. She said she tries but it is not easy for her like it is for the other kdis. I asked her if she wanted to go and see someone about this and perhaps get some vitamins/minerals that might help her out since she does seem to have some "special challenges". She looked very relieved that there might be vitamins etc that might help her and is really looking forward to to going to the appointments next week.

Its funny, when she is focussed the teacher says she is her top student and brilliant but I have seen her not focussed (most of the time) and you would think she had the mentality of a MUCH younger child. When not able to pay attention she can hardly follow a simple 2 or 3 step instruction. But when "on track" she is very much like other kids her age.

Thanks again to those who responded to this. This board has been such a help, not just with Disney, but so much more then that.

Any tips on what to discuss with the naturalpath?

Thank you
Suzy V.
It sounds like you have a good plan.
If it was my DD, I would probably talk with her about what she sees as her challenges that need to be worked on. I guess I'd talk about how everyone is different and has different things they are good at. Maybe share some things you are good at and some that are challenges for you. And point out/ask her some things that she is good at and some that are more challenging. From that, you should be able to get a list of things that she wants to work on.
Then together, you can talk to the naturalpath about those. You can always suggest some things that you know she needs to work on if she doesn't some up with all of the things you are thinking of. You might be surprised to see how realistic and she is of her challanges.

Thank you so much for the info. I will do this with her prior to the appointment next week. I will also talk to her teacher and ask her for her input. She was DDs teacher all of last year as well as this year so she knows her very well.
SueM: thank you so much again. You are so great. :goodvibes

Suzy V.

Something else I thought of -
After you have a list of things that are a challnge for her; brainstorm wiht her for any ideas of things that might make the challenges easier to deal with.
It's possible that her aide did some things to help her with transitions or staying on task that she doesn't realize she can/how to do for herself. That might include things like making lists or breaking big tasks into smaller tasks that she can cross off a list when she's done. Some days I need a list with things I can cross off to stay on task, so everyone can use helping tools sometimes.
Or maybe there are some simple things that the teacher can help with - like announcing when there is 5 minutes left for the activity they are on so that your DD can kind of get a warning that a transition is coming.
Some of the things my sister worked on with her DD was study and organization skills. Those kinds of things might be helpful for your DD.

riu girl said:
Thank you so much for the info. I will do this with her prior to the appointment next week. I will also talk to her teacher and ask her for her input. She was DDs teacher all of last year as well as this year so she knows her very well.
SueM: thank you so much again. You are so great. :goodvibes

Suzy V.

:goodvibes
:blush:

Not great. Just experienced. ;)

I'd also do what you can to work closely with the classroom teacher. They can often do great things, simple things, that make a big difference. Some little things for in the room include having the teacher make an effort to be close to your daughter when she starts giving directions, coming up with a signal to help your daughter know when she's on and off task, even doing some physical things like attaching large elastics to the legs of the chair so your daughter has something quiet and unobtrusive to fidgit with in class.

patchchild said:
even doing some physical things like attaching large elastics to the legs of the chair so your daughter has something quiet and unobtrusive to fidgit with in class.
I love that suggestion. A small thing that no one else would probably even notice.

patchchild said:
I'd also do what you can to work closely with the classroom teacher. They can often do great things, simple things, that make a big difference. Some little things for in the room include having the teacher make an effort to be close to your daughter when she starts giving directions, coming up with a signal to help your daughter know when she's on and off task, even doing some physical things like attaching large elastics to the legs of the chair so your daughter has something quiet and unobtrusive to fidgit with in class.

::yes::

Our OT managed to get "wiggle" seats for our boys..they are...hmmm, well, inflated chair pad type things, has nubby tjhings on one side, and smooth on the other.

Our kids just couldn't sit - at all. They needed to stand beside their desks in order to get anything accomplished...and that makes them, "stand out"..LOL!

Anyway, everyone was fine with the standing, but sitting at circle time, sitting for silent reading, etc was impossible...hence, the wiggle seats!

It just gives the kids the sensory feedback they so desperately need:)

We also taped "check off" sheets on their desks, they get to check everything off as they complete each part of the task - using an whiteboard marker -..and at the end, they get to erase it!

Lots of other things too:)

...and supplements/minerals and the concentrated fruit veggie tablets have changed our lives (Our homeopathic doctor has just been wonderful)

I don't worry about their nutrition so much anymore with it;) That in itself, is wonderful!

HTH!
:sunny:

Hi,
I've just read this thread and I am very interested in what you are talking about.
My DS 9 was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 years old. Our experience was that he was too impulsive and disruptive to have a good experience in school. I have to say that his teacher was a wonderful resource for us and taught us alot of techniques that we still use today for him (i.e timers, good behaviour tokens, sitting in the front of the class, quiet space for homework, plenty of excercise etc). That being said, I would be careful with anyone who claims to have a "cure" or homeopathic remedy for adhd. Adhd is a neurological disorder and there has been no evidence of any herbs , minerals, biofeedback or other special diets that have helped the symptoms of adhd. There is a website and organization called CHADD that can give you info about this. I would tread carefully with the naturalpath especially if it cost $$$$.

We have been very open with our son about adhd, he knows about the disorder and there have been a few kid-centric books written which I have given him to read. We felt that he shouldn't be ashamed of it, everybody has
something. He can tell us if he is having an off day and so far he hasn't played the "I have adhd" card too much. He is a straight A/ B student and we couldn't be more proud of him.
Good Luck with your daughter, you sound like a good and concerned mother and I know how difficult it can be to raise a child with a learning difference.

My daughter has ADHD with sensory issues and son has aspergers syndrome and ADHD. I have one extreme to the other. Daughter gets a 4.0 and son barely passes his classes. I myself have adult ADHD and I can not even imagine how a child copes with it because it is hard for them to understand. These kids are so bright the just need a little help on the way. It is so important to let them know that they are not stupid because they are not!!!!!! They are so smart and they need to know that they need to learn differantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter