Osborne Lights transportation issue

My thoughts exactly. When I inquired about this afterwards, Concierge at our resort said that you should expect to take the bus. We were headed to the Boardwalk from a park so we just decided to skip it when we were turned away. Really didn't feel like spending more money to valet.
Crazy. So folks who stay off site can't park for free to eat at Big River or ESPN? What about locals? What about Jelly Rolls? I'm thinking you got an over diligent gate attendant.

Last edited:
Crazy. So folks who stay off site can't park for free to eat at Big River or ESPN? What about locals? What about Jelly Rolls? I'm thinking you got an over diligent gate attendant.
During the holidays a lot of the resorts are limiting the parking to valet because people will park in the free lot and stay the whole day.

As a local, I have been shut out of the Boardwalk - more than once. I told them I wanted to go to ESPN and was told to park at DTD and take a bus over. And the "overflow lot" across the street now has a guard during busy times and they will tell you the lot is for "working cast only."

At this point in time there is not only the holidays, but guests trying to park at the Epcot area resorts so they can get to DHS for Osborne Lights. So if you want to park at the Epcot resorts, I'd plan on using valet if you are not staying there. Don't know how far an ADR will get you. During really busy times they may not even accept an ADR. And if you are going to Big River or ESPN you won't have an ADR that can be checked.

As a local, I have been shut out of the Boardwalk - more than once. I told them I wanted to go to ESPN and was told to park at DTD and take a bus over. And the "overflow lot" across the street now has a guard during busy times and they will tell you the lot is for "working cast only."

We had the guard at the Boardwalk gate tell us to use that lot, called it a cast member lot but said we were free to use it. We didn't though.

I agree - but we spoke to two attendants at the gate and that's the story they were sticking to. Concierge concurred. We often go spend a few hours at the Boardwalk just walking around, shopping, snacking...they are losing people this way for sure. You would think they would want people to come spend money there. It just seems ridiculous to me.

I am throwing in the towel! I have switched my night to see the lights to a night I will be at the Yacht Club. Walking over sounds infinitely better than busing.

I'm just reading through this thread now and starting to panic. We arrive this Saturday and we were planning to head to HS at about 6pm by bus from Pop. Will it possibly take an hour or more to arrive to HS by bus due to long lines from traffic?

We just got home last night around midnight....had a wonderful trip and I am so sorry that the lights will no longer be there(I have heard rumors that they might move them to Disney Springs after the construction is complete??) We did what several posters suggested....spend the early am in DHS and parked in the lot. We then took the boat to EPCOT and spent several hours visiting/revisiting some of our favorites(Voices of America and Pier Noel) and then took the boat back for our dinner at Mama Melroses, went to Fantasmic and then to see the lights.
I have to say, going later was wonderful....not a lot of crowds and we were able to just sit on the curb and watch the light show over and over. There were people dancing in the streets and an elderly man got out of his scooter and was dancing with a younger woman, who I presume was his daughter.....the lights make us all feel like kids!! We must have stayed for at least an hour right by the Christmas tree.
Over the weekend the lots did close at 12 and 1pm but the only time I saw these crowds were when we exited dinner and trying to go up when everyone was going down!! At least this year they had everyone organized....go down one way and come back up the other.....Yes it is amazing to see the lights turned on, but not a happy scene with thousands of others!! Go later...and you feel you have the lights to yourself.!!

This is a great idea and since our first set of plans at AK isn't until 10am will work for us. Thanks everyone for the replies!
Or park at HS early in the day and use buses (or Uber!) to go to AK then back to HS in the afternoon, and your car will already be where you need it at the end of the day.
This is what we did. Parked at HS when it opened. Took the boat to the yacht club for breakfast. Spent the morning and afternoon in epcot. Went back to HS around 4:00, had an early dinner at the brown derby lounge. The lights were amazing.

So is parking at DTD (or AK/MK) and taking a bus from there to an Epcot resort and walking from there a viable option? Is parking at DTD still as crazy as it used to be or has the garage helped? Just going through lots of options in my head right now, hopefully we'll be able to park @ HS (going early) so it wouldn't be necessary

So is parking at DTD (or AK/MK) and taking a bus from there to an Epcot resort and walking from there a viable option? Is parking at DTD still as crazy as it used to be or has the garage helped? Just going through lots of options in my head right now, hopefully we'll be able to park @ HS (going early) so it wouldn't be necessary
The garage is wonderful. We were there midday.

I'm just reading through this thread now and starting to panic. We arrive this Saturday and we were planning to head to HS at about 6pm by bus from Pop. Will it possibly take an hour or more to arrive to HS by bus due to long lines from traffic?

Yes. The traffic backups were horrendous.

Yes. The traffic backups were horrendous.
I imagine it will be even worse this Saturday. I could switch my visit to Monday, but since we're talking about the week of Christmas, I wonder if it really even matters. I should probably just assume traffic will be brutal from now until the new year in the evenings getting to HS, especially since the Star Wars fireworks show starts this weekend.

During the holidays a lot of the resorts are limiting the parking to valet because people will park in the free lot and stay the whole day.

And don't forget that the parking lots have a finite number of spaces, so valet can get filled too.

This info is so good to have, thank you all! Does anyone have a map to show the walking, boat otions between HS and EP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter