Orlando Real Estate Question

Heck, I've been there for a summer week a few times, and that was enough for me. I can imagine snowbirding there, but I would not make it permanent.

I agree. If the OP is looking for somewhere warm to retire and the choice for Florida isn't job related or being close to other family members, seems they are a LOT of other areas/states to consider. Depends on what are the major factors important to them. Budget, cost of insurance, risks of major storms/flooding, amenities, proximity to major airports (if they plan to do a lot of air travel), medical facilities, etc. are some of the things to consider. As you get older, will you want to drive long distances to visit relatives/children or more likely to fly? I would vacation in the area you are interested in to get a better sense if it meets your needs.

If you live in a community that allows short-term rentals, having a new next door neighbor every week may not be the ideal situation for a full-time resident. Jumping into making an offer the first time you meet with a realtor is a really bad idea no matter where you are moving. If the real-estate market is overheated, wait a few months until things are back to normal to avoid overpaying.

Last edited:
We are considering a move from NJ to Florida in the next 2 - 3 years. The insurance rates, roof conditions and flood zones are things we are trying to factor in also. I personally seem to feel safer with new construction as opposed to older homes in the same price range. This past summer we toured New Construction in Ocala, Poinciana, Auburndale, Bartow and Sebring. Existing home prices were almost comparable to the new construction. I can't imagine buying a home built in 2007 for the same price as a newly constructed home. It almost a no brainer knowing my HVAC, Roof, foundation, appliances, etc are all NEW for basically the same price.
We are looking too. I’m concerned with all the same issues but also sink holes. Some areas have a lot of them. check geologic surveys and maps. We won’t be looking in Lake County because of the increased risk there. My daughter is in Winter Garden which is great but we want a house with a private pool and lanai and most of the new build homes only have a public pool. Isn’t the price difference between the north east and Florida incredible? We would pay over a million for what is 450k there!

Out of those areas for me only WP.
Winter Park has beautiful older homes with mature trees, but I think it's out of budget for a lot of people, especially in the current market. Many of the homes are well over a million, often multi million, except for those homes that need lots of upgrading and/or repairs. It's a rare gem to find a house for less than 800K that doesn't require major work.

Hey there! Florida doesn't mandate elevators in every building, but it's wise to check local rules. We made the move from NJ and found the process smooth. Feel free to ask if you need more advice on navigating Orlando or the move.
Speaking of real estate, I plan to invest in some resort businesses, and I definitely need some advice! Please share your experience, guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter