Opinion on Saving MK til last?

fa mulan

And I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World."
Advice please --

I'm starting to plan our first trip itinerary (w/ our 7 & 3 yo girls) from Feb 7 to 15. We'll have 8 days and 6 day parkhoppers. I've heard that if kids go to MK first, they're so overwhelmed by the magic there that the other parks pale in comparison.... Have any of you seen that with your kids?

We arrive into Orlando airport at 5 pm on a Friday. . . our first full day will be Sat, and I don't want to miss the fireworks over the castle (which apparently may only run on Fri and/or Sat in Feb....) so I'm trying to decide whether we should go to MK on our first full day or watch fireworks from somewhere outside MK. . .

thank you for your advice!

The first time my kids were at WDW they were 3 and 4 years of age. I followed the advice of others and held off on the MK until after Epcot and Disney/MGM.

Personally, I think it depends on the kids. Mine are older now (16 and 18) but have always enjoyed museums, national parks, etc. AS WELL AS amusement/theme parks even when they were little.

So, I would have to say ... if your kids are good about enjoying other things that you and your husband enjoy, it probably wouldn't matter. If you are a family where the kids "rule the roost", then you may want to hold off on the MK so you and your husband can enjoy the other parks without too much pressure and whining from the kids.

Good luck!

We went to WDW in 2/2000 and my niece was 3 at the time. We did Sea World the first day and she really enjoyed it. I wanted to do Epcot before MK for exactly the reason you mentioned but we did Mk first instead. When we did go to Epcot my SIL ended up leaving and taking my niece back to MK. She also liked MGM and AK.

BTW, that said, I don't think I would miss the fireworks over the Castle. Especially if you can get where you can see Tinkerbell well. I recommend the bridge to Tomorrowland.

We almost always go to MK first.

We went to MGM first on one trip and it just wasn't the same as seeing the castle as your first view of a park!

Our first trip my kids were 9 & 3. They liked all the parks!

We went to MK first, we actually blew a day from our PH, we arrived at MK around 1pm. It was worth everything to have the first glimpse of WDW be the castle. My dd walked through the gates and when we got to the top of Main Street she saw the castle and gasped. I will never forget it. Of course we were half way down the street and ds (4) points and says "hey look, there's a castle" those around us had a chuckle. :D

We always go to MK on arrival day, it just doesn't seem like Disney until we walk up Main St.:D We have had UPH's so it didn't matter if we blew a day or not.

Remember, too, that for a lot of kids (and grownups too!) Disney World IS the Magic Kingdom. So even if you save MK for last--they may still whine and want to go to 'Mickey's House'!

Our rule of Disney--do what you want when you want. It is your vacation--have fun!

We always do MK first. Just can't bring myself to do it any other way. DS has still enjoyed all then other parks too. Something to think about is that Sunday is EE for MK.If you are staying onsite you might want to consider whether you want to do this and if so do you want to do MK also the day before. If you choose not to do MK and still want to see the fireworks, you could consider dinner at Ohanas or at the Calafornia Grill and see the fireworks from the resturant.I think however that the fireworks are almost everynight, It is specto magic that sometimes only runs on the week-end. This is true for January when we go but could be different for Febuary.someone correct me if I am wrong. It will be great no matter what order you choose.Have a blast.

Jordan's mom

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know it'll be wonderful no matter what we do when. And I personally can't wait to see Cindy's Castle. There are just so many strategies and tips to master for a first trip . . . it's definitely daunting! I can't tell you how much the DIS has already helped. :)

You didnt mention if it was President's week your going... if so it is a busy time......

Regardless, my stratigy (sp) has always been....... slowest park on the busiest day..... I would head to AK first thing on Saturday and take your time there..... lots to do, cool animals, great preformers, wonderful shows..... Then head over to the Poly and watch the fireworks from the beach there..... it is a wonderful site....... Castle right in front of you, all the pretty colors, and Fireworks... plus depending on what the schedule is you could catch the lighted water parade..... That is also really neat. :teeth:

OR since you have hoppers..... I would still start off at AK, then head over to MK right before the fireworks.... MK is a zoo on Saturdays, and most of your time there would be spent in lines.... Magic yes, pain in the butt, definatly! LOL

GOod luck...... so much to do.... so little time!

We almost always did MK first because I was the one impatient to see the castle. DS actually always liked the "big silver ball" just as well I think. He really always enjoyed all of the parks too with his favorite varying over the years.

I am one of those who like to save the best for last, except for Disney. You did say that you have 6 day passes but you do not want to wait too long into your trip because, unless it is really, really slow it can take more than a day or two to see the Magic Kingdom if you want to see the shows. So if you wait you may not get around to everything and then you will be disappointed that you didn't do it earlier. Plus you will definitely want to do certain attractions more than once.

Personally I must see MK first!!!!! I also must spend my last day at MK too!! :D

Now we spent our first two mornings in MK with our 2yo DD and on the third day we went to MGM and at first DD was upset we were not going back to the "castle" but as soon as she saw the "hat" she knew she was in for a great time here too!! DD enjoyed ALL the parks. I wouldn't hold off too long on MK, we usually like to spend several days there! :D

Enjoy!
Gi

On our first visit I also took the advice and saved MK for last. Our dd's were 8 and 2. Of course I had to see the castle the day we arrived or I wouldn't believe we were really there. I made my DH drive us around until I could see the castle for myself! I think it really depends upon your kids-my kids had fun at all the parks so I don't think which one we visited first would have mattered to them at the time. We are planning to return next summer and I don't know if I could wait and visit MK last this time!! Happy planning:D

To HECK with what my kids want! I'm walking down Main Street to that castle at the first opportunity! This will be my kid's 3rd trip to WDW, and they don't request to start anywhere. My boys, 8 and 10, say their favorite park is Epcot. To me there is no other way to start off the magic than the MK. I've never had trouble getting a small child to leave it and visit another park.

If your kids have any concept at all of WDW, it is probably the Magic Kingdom-- Main Street and the Castle, and they may not be happy until they see this stuff.

I think the other parks are a letdown if they are waiting to see MK. Once they have their MK fix, they can move on to other things.

My kids are now 7 & 11. We have been going to WDW since they were 3 & 7. MK has never been their favorite park. Some of these alleged tips are just generalizations that may have little or no bearing on your family.

We just try to do parks on the slowest days as far as attendance goes....ie: We ALWAYS go to MK at opening on Sunday morning when we're at WDW.

Thanks for your posts everyone.

Bob NC, I enjoyed reading your trip reports! They're hilarious. One question on MK on Sunday - it's now the "extra magic hour" day. Would that change your strategy? I'm trying to figure the park days now.... We're going value season (week before Pres. Week), so hopefully it won't be too crowded. Maybe we just need to play it by ear and I need to give the planning a rest (as my DH has suggested)!

My kids were three and four for their first trip

We did MK nearly every other day. MK in the morning, generally Epcot in the evening.

Day 1 was MK morning, MK evening
Day 2 was AK morning, Epcot evening
Day 3 was MK morning, Mom and Dads night out
Day 4 was AK morning, Epcot evening
Day 5 was MGM morning, pool/hotel evening
Day 6 was MK morning, Epcot evening

We also the week before Presidents week - it was crowded - especially at the end of the week.

You are likely going to spend multiple days at MK, so you may wish to break it up a little. We enjoyed all the parks, but our favorites at this age were MK and AK.

Spectromagic may also change your plans. Its only shown once or twice a week in the off season. We missed it - we were going to go the night we arrived, but I was exhausted, so we spent it at the hotel. The next night it was raining a little, and the kids didn't take enough nap to get us through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter