$ong of the $outh

TheColtonsMom

DIS Veteran
So since Colton loved Splash so much I thought I would go online and try to find a VHS of Song of the South (has never been released on DVD) to put in his Easter basket. We have a VHS DVD combo & I have bought all the sing a long songs tapes and a few other Disney movies this way for really cheap some as low as 99 cents in the past. So great idea right?

Amazon has only 1 seller with this VHS available for $225.50!
E-bay has a bigger selection of 13 which run from $30 (early in the bidding) to $70
Amazon has a 4 pc set of action figures from the movie for $400!

I did buy him some pins of brer fox, brer bear & brer rabbit for $5.50 each.

I am having a bad case of sticker shock!

There is quite a history actually regarding song of the south and it's releases (both in theaters and what is made available to buy). This is due mostly to the racial tone of the movie and subsequent opinions many have had about it. Disney has stated that it will remain in the archives permanently. That is why they are so rare and expensive. I actually was under the impression that it was never release on VHS either. $225 may be a bargain.

I have this movie on DVD, DBF got it from Canada.....you may want to search some more. :)

I'm not tech-savy, but you have to be careful when buying this on VHS......as most of them come from the United Kingdom & their systems are different then ours & so they're not compatable. From my understanding, Song of the South stayed available there but never were made available here in the US.

(trust me, we've looked too........)

If you go to SongoftheSouth (.net & .org) you can find some info about the release of the DVD & VHS. The .net site gives lots of info and the .org site sells a copy of the DVD, and it looks like it was made from a 1980's VHS. So...., while you could probably find a copy somewhere, it doesn't look like Disney has ever authorized its release on DVD.

HTH! :goodvibes

If you go to SongoftheSouth (.net & .org) you can find some info about the release of the DVD & VHS. The .net site gives lots of info and the .org site sells a copy of the DVD, and it looks like it was made from a 1980's VHS. So...., while you could probably find a copy somewhere, it doesn't look like Disney has ever authorized its release on DVD.

Thanks for the info..I did sign the petition to have Disney re-master and release this on DVD. I encourage those of you who remember this movie fondly to do the same.

Song of the South is a GREAT movie and I really enjoyed it.
But wow at those prices!!
Honestly, the way I watched it was probably not the most legal way...I downloaded it off a web site. If you're familiar with torrents that's what I did. You could try to search for it on youtube...they might have it in sections. They had the original 1982 TRON on youtube for a few weeks until it was removed for copyright.
Oh and I am definitely gonna sign the petition!

The ride makes a little more sense when you know the story! :goodvibes

Song of the South is a GREAT movie and I really enjoyed it.
But wow at those prices!!
Honestly, the way I watched it was probably not the most legal way...I downloaded it off a web site. If you're familiar with torrents that's what I did. You could try to search for it on youtube...they might have it in sections. They had the original 1982 TRON on youtube for a few weeks until it was removed for copyright.
Oh and I am definitely gonna sign the petition!

The ride makes a little more sense when you know the story! :goodvibes

Disney is forcing people to look to other avenues by withholoding this. I can't believe the number of places I have found that sell pirated versions.Disney legal is doing nothing, Disney is losing a fortune. They ought to re-master it and then sell it like everyone else does...on the internet quietly, maybe they already are... LOL

We have watched a good portion of it on youtube in pieces and he likes it.

Disney is forcing people to look to other avenues by withholoding this. I can't believe the number of places I have found that sell pirated versions.Disney legal is doing nothing, Disney is losing a fortune. They ought to re-master it and then sell it like everyone else does...on the internet quietly, maybe they already are... LOL

We have watched a good portion of it on youtube in pieces and he likes it.

I read on one of those sites that I listed before that it becomes public domain in 2039, it would make sense for Disney to re-release it before then (if they were going to) so that they could make some kind of profit on it. ....... Otherwise, we have to wait ONLY 28 more years, and it will be much easier to find! :laughing:

I read on one of those sites that I listed before that it becomes public domain in 2039, it would make sense for Disney to re-release it before then (if they were going to) so that they could make some kind of profit on it. ....... Otherwise, we have to wait ONLY 28 more years, and it will be much easier to find! :laughing:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:Colton will be 35 in 2039..maybe I can put it in his kids Easter basket

An aunt of mine found a VHS copy at a Flea Market. Glad that DD has seen it multiple times - so few children have! My fav Disney movie of all!

I went ahead and ordered the DVD thru them.......Ordered it on Monday & had it by Friday.......$19.95 & free shipping. We watched it Saturday evening & the kids loved it & it took me back......hadn't seen it since my childhood.

I really don't see why they won't release this movie. It isn't that bad.....it's historical of how the times were but no worse than Tom Sawyer or even Roots! I think they're missing a large group that would love to see the relationship of the movie to Splash Mountain.

Even though any racial overtones are completely missing from Splash Mountain, I'm sure they have had pressure to get rid of the characters altogether.

Southern accent (or whatever accent it is) doesn't equal racial. The princess and the frog is proof of that. Tar baby tho... yah dunno about that one.

Thank You!!!! I have been looking at buying this for a couple of years but couldn't find any other than those from the UK. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter