One way car rental from LAX with no extra fee?

*sleepingbeauty*

Earning My Ears
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a car rental that does not charge the one way fee. Our plan -

Arrive LAX - Thurs April 23rd
P/U Car Rental ???
Drive to San Diego that night
Leave San Diego - Monday April 27th
Arrive GCH - Monday April 27th
Return Car Rental ??? I'm not sure where though???

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know about one way return fees but there are numerous rental agencies in the DLR area, including Alamo in DTD.

An alternative way to get to San Diego would be to take the Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station, and then Amtrak from there. If you need a car in San Diego rent it and return it there. For getting to GCH take Amtrak to the Anaheim station and then a cab from there.

We never had to pay a one-way charge before, and now it seems as though all the rental car companies are charging insane rates. Keep checking to see if they have sales. One company right now is doing one-way rate sale in Florida, so maybe they will do some on the west coast too.

GL.

I have been searching for a decent one way rate between San Diego and San Francisco - the rates make me want to faint. I didn't understand before I booked the trip how cost prohibitive it would be. Ugh.

We are even considering Fox Rental because it's so much less and we are desperate.

When my DH and I wanted to rent a car from San Pedro after a cruise and return it to Lax we contacted all the car rental companies and found they ALL charge a one way fee of around 75.00.

If you want to leave the rental car at Disney, then I'm pretty sure Alamo don't charge a one way fee.
You can collect with Alamo at LAX then drop it off at the Alamo at Downtown Disney

Last week I just reserved a rental car from San Diego for 3 days and then returning the car to Orange County.

The drop off fee's were crazy!!!:scared1:

I finally called Enterprise and their drop off was only $40. That is the cheapest I could find so I booked it.:idea:

Rentals rates a really high right now. My trip is in October and I plan too keep checking. I did apply the entertainment discount also.

Good luck!:goodvibes

babyjosie98, could you tell me how much your 3 day rental cost including tax? I haven't called Enterprise yet, we will be cruising out of San Pedro and they are the only car rental company located near the port. They don't quote oneway rentals online.

The rental was quoted for $181 and that is for 3 days pick up at San Diego and drop off at OC and that also included unlimited miles and the $40 drop off.

That is for an intermediate size car.

I think it is a little high , but it was the best I could find for now so I have it reserved.

I plan too keep checking...:goodvibes

The Entertaiment books have some great coupons and discounts for car rentals.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle for sharing your info. I just can't wrap my brain over how expensive car rentals are in California. Too use to $130 ish prices in Florida for an entire week!

JenJer

Hertz has a location on Camino del Rio South which is about 6 miles from San Diego Airport. Would be a lot less than renting at the airport. Would require a $20 cab ride but would save you $150-200 probably. The Hertz location apparently has pick-up service but I doubt they'd pick you up at the airport...you could call and inquire. They do allow return to SFOairport or SF downtown as long as you book it that way to begin with.

Use discount code 62455 for Hertz if you don't have AAA

Try putting in "Marvin" as the Hertz pickup location, it is called Marvin K. Brown

JenJer

Hertz has a location on Camino del Rio South which is about 6 miles from San Diego Airport. Would be a lot less than renting at the airport. Would require a $20 cab ride but would save you $150-200 probably. The Hertz location apparently has pick-up service but I doubt they'd pick you up at the airport...you could call and inquire. They do allow return to SFOairport or SF downtown as long as you book it that way to begin with.

Use discount code 62455 for Hertz if you don't have AAA

Try putting in "Marvin" as the Hertz pickup location, it is called Marvin K. Brown

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I tried it out, but unfortunately that location closes at 6 p.m. and our plane lands at 7. We've got Dollar reserved for $600 something and I think that is the best I am going to find. (If you remove the $175 drop charge, it would be a downright bargain! :-) )

Jen A mini-van with Dollar is showing as $450 including drop charge for next week so keep checking their website and look for the "city special" button to pop up....maybe the rates come down as the date gets closer and they haven't sold out.....(I don't know your dates)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter