On an old movie kick

I keep my grandmother's TV on TCM. I have actually been trying to make an effort to watch some of the older, classic movies that I haven't seen yet. I recently watched Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, and I have a few other Bette Davis and Joan Crawford movies that I'm recording to watch.

Here's some I like that I can think of:

Singing In The Rain
Duck Soup
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
West Side Story
The King & I
Wizard Of Oz
An American In Paris
A Night In Casablanca
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Court Jester
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Auntie Mame
Psycho
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Paper Moon
Vertigo
Babes In Toyland
Abbott and Costello movies, especially, The Time of Their Lives

North by northwest
To catch a thief
Rear window
Man's favorite sport
Pillow talk
A touch of mink
Father of the bride
Auntie Mame
Where the boys are
If a man answers
Take her she's mine
Cheaper by the dozen

Hey, thanks for checking the dates of the movies I listed! OP listed 12 Angry Men...1957, guess we must be the same generation :D
Well, my list was somewhat older:
Going My Way - 1944
Wizard of Oz - 1939
All About Eve - 1950
Singing in the Rain - 1952
Roman Holiday - 1953
The Best Years of our Life -1946
Yankee Doodle Dandy -1942
The Apartment -1960
Miracle on 34th Street (original) -1947
Sabrina (original) - 1954
Fantasia (1940)

:teeth:

Well, my list was somewhat older:
Going My Way - 1944
Wizard of Oz - 1939
All About Eve - 1950
Singing in the Rain - 1952
Roman Holiday - 1953
The Best Years of our Life -1946
Yankee Doodle Dandy -1942
The Apartment -1960
Miracle on 34th Street (original) -1947
Sabrina (original) - 1954
Fantasia (1940)

:teeth:
oooh Yankee Doodle Dandy is a goodie!

I'm not sure of the ages of anyone in this thread (didn't check your info), but just wanted to say if any of the movies being called old makes you feel old, don't! I'm 32 and love ALL of these movies so much more than the "get out" of the "last house on the left" where the "human centipede" is experiencing "paranormal activity" type movies that seem to come out every week :P

I keep my grandmother's TV on TCM. I have actually been trying to make an effort to watch some of the older, classic movies that I haven't seen yet. I recently watched Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, and I have a few other Bette Davis and Joan Crawford movies that I'm recording to watch.

Here's some I like that I can think of:

Singing In The Rain
Duck Soup
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
West Side Story
The King & I
Wizard Of Oz
An American In Paris
A Night In Casablanca
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Court Jester
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Auntie Mame
Psycho
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Paper Moon
Vertigo
Babes In Toyland
Abbott and Costello movies, especially, The Time of Their Lives
are you watching FEUD with Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis and Jessic Lange as Joan Crawford? I only caught one episode but heard it was good.

Because I work from home, I have the tv on all the time. I usually either binge a series or watch movies. Lots and lots of movies. Recently I've been drawn to old movies like What Ever Happened To Baby Jane, 12 Angry Men, etc. What are some of your favorites, provided you watch old movies of course. ;-)

Arsenic and Old Lace
Miracle on 34th St.

Any of the old movies that Elvira used to host. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes; Beware, The Blob!; The Brain That Wouldn't Die...

are you watching FEUD with Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis and Jessic Lange as Joan Crawford? I only caught one episode but heard it was good.
I saw the first two episodes. But missed the last one. I hope I can catch it this weekend, before the new one.

Yes, I am watching Feud. I wanted to watch Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, first, and then watch Feud. I binged watched everything over the weekend. I think I'm caught up. I thought it was pretty good so far. .

I watch A Place in the Sun a lot (Elizabeth Taylor) and I don't consider this an old movie but The Towering Inferno was on the other night and I really enjoyed watching it. Love those old disaster movies. I think Earthquake is on next week too - lol.

Again, thank you so much for sharing all these great movies! I love seeing some listed that I have watched, makes me feel so not alone in my movie viewing habits. My husband gives me that raised eyebrow sometimes! :tilt:
I think I will start with the first movie on each post and work my way through like that. LOL I'll skip over the ones I have seen (for now) and see how far I can go. Keep them coming though!!

First up - The Innocents. @ShirikiUtundu Is that from 1961? That seems to be the oldest one I can find with that title.

Last edited:
Anything with Carey Grant in it, anything.
Anything with Gene Kelley in it, anything.

The original Sabrina
The original Philadelphia Story (see Cary Grant)

Not as old but anything with James Garner in it.

Anything with Doris Day in it, especially love Please don't eat the daisies.

Rod Taylor movies - Hotel, The Glass Bottom Boat with Doris Day, The Birds, Giant (big nod to Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor here).

Almost all old musicals, especially West Side Story, Daddy Longlegs, Funny Girl.

And not so old but love me some Elvis movies.

Oh as an aside, last trip to WDW, my son and I asked if we could step out of line at GMR and watch the entire film. We were allowed to and there are some great clips there if anyone has a hour or a hour and a half to watch.

Again, thank you so much for sharing all these great movies! I love seeing some listed that I have watched, makes me feel so not alone in my movie viewing habits. My husband gives me that raised eyebrow sometimes! :tilt:
I think I will start with the first movie on each post and work my way through like that. LOL I'll skip over the ones I have seen (for now) and see how far I can go. Keep them coming though!!

First up - The Innocents. @ShirikiUtundu Is that from 1961? That seems to be the oldest one I can find with that title.

Yes that's the one. It's based on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. It's a gothic horror (think "The Others" for a similar feel) which has some shocking elements for 1961 (and I don't mean gore or anything like that). I would love to hear what you thought of it. I always recommend it as one of my favorite horror movies.

I love the Thin Man movies starring Myrna Loy and William Powell. There are several of them with the main plotline being about a private eye and his wife solving crimes while being charming and funny. Each film includes the phrase "Thin Man" in the title.

I also love any film with Cary Grant in the cast and the Marx brothers are great. If you like something spooky or dark, you can't go wrong with Alfred Hitchcock or the original version of The Haunting.

Well, since I just said "John Wayne movies" for my "first" I'll specify with "Hatari" (1962). :)

It's my favorite of all the new shows this season, really, really enjoying it a lot!

Yes, I am watching Feud. I wanted to watch Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, first, and then watch Feud. I binged watched everything over the weekend. I think I'm caught up. I thought it was pretty good so far. .

I should have watched Baby Jane again before starting to watch "Feud" but didn't. I saw it a few years ago, and liked it.

As for the OP, I love a lot of the older classic movies too, many of the ones already mentioned.

A few others are:
The Long, Long Trailer (Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz)
Yours, Mine and Ours (Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda)
A Patch of Blue (Shelley Winters, Sidney Portier)
To Sir, With Love (Sidney Portier)
Barefoot in the Park (Jane Fonda, Robert Redford)
This Property is Condemned (Natalie Wood, Robert Redford)
Fantastic Voyage (Raquel Welch)
Two on a Guillotine (Caesar Romero and Connie Stevens)
With Six You Get Eggroll (Doris Day, and I think Brian Keith)
The Blob (Steve McQueen I think)
The Man With the X-Ray Eyes (Ray Milland)
A Million Years B.C. (Raquel Welch)
The Fly
The Birds, Psycho

Love most of Vincent Price's movies too, and probably lots more. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter