OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I will be at OKW in Jan 2023 and see that they have charcoal grills only.

I will be bringing my own charcoal, lighter fluid, and utensils (we drive-no flight for us!)

If I walk up to a grill and it is full of old, cold, ashes.......where do I put them?

Any tips on the situation? Many other resorts have gas grills.....but not this one!

Gonna do burgers and chicken.

Staying in a studio so I will do a batch and have leftovers the next day.
Nothing smells better than barbecue chicken on a charcoal grill. I believe they have metal ash boxes to put them in. If there is no ash box, just tell a cast member and they should be able to help.

If you do online check-in you can declined daily housekeeping services, and thus cut down on the number of tipping envelopes. Also, if it is Member Cash, reservation though DVC, you will follow the same housekeeping as a regular DVC Points reservation.
If you decline daily housekeeping, are daily room 'inspections' still mandatory?
At SSR last year, they were DEFINITELY mandatory.

If you do online check-in you can declined daily housekeeping services, and thus cut down on the number of tipping envelopes. Also, if it is Member Cash, reservation though DVC, you will follow the same housekeeping as a regular DVC Points reservation
Just back from our stay. They did HK everyday. We did have an incident in the middle of our trip where my DF ended up in the hospital due to a bad reaction to his cancer treatments (he’s fine now.), and before that we had just been having towels replaced and trash cleaned out, but after that; they were doing full HK the rest of our stay. Not sure why the difference though or if it was just a coincidence.

Here was one of the surprises HK left behind.

Attachments

• A3CF9104-27DA-4788-82C9-BC7D6D79BBDB.png
    A3CF9104-27DA-4788-82C9-BC7D6D79BBDB.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 950B4FE2-77C0-4528-9D43-A7CDEFE32C4B.png
    950B4FE2-77C0-4528-9D43-A7CDEFE32C4B.png
    178 KB · Views: 20
With the removal of the carpeting in the one bedroom units during the last refurbishment, you can hear some things from your neighbor, especially if they have active kids. You can try putting a pillow or towel at the bottom of the lock-off door to absorb some of the sound.
Very much agree. Last stay after refurb, we had 1-BR without carpet for 1st time. Noise level from above & somewhere next door was intrusive all hours.

Coming up: Solo trip DLX Studio.
I prefer TOP FLOOR, even 3rd, & don't mind the lack of window at all as in Bldg 18.
I don't mind walking to Bus or Pool or HH.

I DO need as QUIET as possible. Ten days with bus noise won't be pleasant.
Any suggestions of the best possible way to request that?

Hi! We are looking forward to our annual Christmas visit and am wondering if anyone has the current activities/resort calendar available to upload. Very ready to be back home!

Very much agree. Last stay after refurb, we had 1-BR without carpet for 1st time. Noise level from above & somewhere next door was intrusive all hours.

Coming up: Solo trip DLX Studio.
I prefer TOP FLOOR, even 3rd, & don't mind the lack of window at all as in Bldg 18.
I don't mind walking to Bus or Pool or HH.

I DO need as QUIET as possible. Ten days with bus noise won't be pleasant.
Any suggestions of the best possible way to request that?

I would email or do online chat with Member Services, and request upper floor, other than that, I've rarely been bothered by bus noise, except in an area where the busses turn around. Remember that OKW has no elevators, except in building 62, 63 and 64, so you'll be hiking up two flights of stairs. The problem may be traffic noise, if your building is in a perimeter area of the resort near Buena Vista Drive or EPCOT Center Way/Vista Boulevard. So you may also want to request Bldgs 34. 35, 47, 48, 55, or 56. Remember that the reosrts have been very busy, and requests are never guaranteed. It isn't like a cruise ship where the entire thing empties and loads all the guests at the same time, so it just depends upon what is available on your check-in day.

Last edited:
I would email or do online chat with Member Services, and request upper floor, other than that, I've rarely been bothered by bus noise, except in an area where the busses turn around. Remember that OKW has no elevators, except in building 62, 63 and 64, so you'll be hiking up two flights of stairs. The problem wmay be traffic noise, if your building in=s in a perimeter area of the resort near Buena Vista Drive or EPCOT Center Way/Vista Boulevard. So you may also want to request Bldgs 34. 35, 47, 48, 55, or 56. Remember that the reosrts have been very busy, and requests are never guaranteed. It isn;t like a cruise ship where the entire thing empties and loards all the guests at the same time, so it just depends upon what is available on your check-in day.
Thanks, Chuck! Just what I needed. :thanks:

We just returned today from two weeks in a 1bdrm in building 11, didn't hear a bus during the entire stay. I called member services a few days before we left home and requested that building and got it, second time in that building, both times calling a few days before arriving.

We just returned today from two weeks in a 1bdrm in building 11, didn't hear a bus during the entire stay. I called member services a few days before we left home and requested that building and got it, second time in that building, both times calling a few days before arriving.
That building is in the Near HH booking category. If you have not reserved that category, chances are sllim that you could get it.

First time staying at OKW, booking using points at the 7 month mark in August.

If we want a ground floor one bedroom very close to (or with very easy access to) a pool, with parking really close to the villa, what category should I book, std or near HH, and which building or buildings would be my best bet for a request?

editing to add that the bathroom door format isn’t important, it’s just DH and I

thanks!

Almost all buildings have very convenient, close parking, The real exception being Buildings 16. where the parking is to the side, and building 64, which also has parking to the side. There is the main pool and 3 neighborhood pools, so you're never really far away from a pool area. The best buildings for near pool access would be (assuming you don't have the Near HH category booked) bldgs 19, 20, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 55 and 56.

If you will have people sleeping in the living room, be aware the ONLY building numbers 30 and higher have a second entrance to the bathoom, through the laundry room. Buildings under 30 have a single entrance through the master bedroom. Bear that in mind depending upon your privacy needs. Be sure to request ground floor, though, if you need it, because there are no elevators at OKW, except for building 62, 63 and 64. The rest of the resort was built prior to changes in the ADA.

Last edited:
First time staying at OKW, booking using points at the 7 month mark in August.

If we want a ground floor one bedroom very close to (or with very easy access to) a pool, with parking really close to the villa, what category should I book, std or near HH, and which building or buildings would be my best bet for a request?

editing to add that the bathroom door format isn’t important, it’s just DH and I

thanks!
And here's a map to see exactly where all the buildings are in relation to the pools. https://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

We are staying at OKW and my brother in law and his partner are staying at POFQ. Can they come visit us and swim at the pool and vice versa?

Where can you get coffee at OKW and at what time? I do plan on getting refillable mugs. Thank you!

We are staying at OKW and my brother in law and his partner are staying at POFQ. Can they come visit us and swim at the pool and vice versa?
According to the DVC Member webpages, Pool Hopping is still suspended.

But I'd ask at the front desk.

Also, if they are driving, let the front desk or guard shack know you are expecting them, and vice versa when you visit them.

Last edited:
Where can you get coffee at OKW and at what time? I do plan on getting refillable mugs. Thank you!
Coffee for the Refill mugs is available at Goods to Go on walkway behind Olivia's.
You will also have a coffeemaker in your room, and housekeeping will provide you with coffee. If you run out, just call them.

I will be at OKW in Jan 2023 and see that they have charcoal grills only.

I will be bringing my own charcoal, lighter fluid, and utensils (we drive-no flight for us!)

If I walk up to a grill and it is full of old, cold, ashes.......where do I put them?

Any tips on the situation? Many other resorts have gas grills.....but not this one!

Gonna do burgers and chicken.

Staying in a studio so I will do a batch and have leftovers the next day.
Grills are cleaned daily but if not, grounds crew will come and clean it. Just stayed here and brought our stuff as well and was cleaned daily!

Is there a laundry room near the main pool? If not, where are they located?
When will the March activities calendar be posted?
How is Olivia's Brunch?
Thank you!!!

Is there a laundry room near the main pool? If not, where are they located?
When will the March activities calendar be posted?
How is Olivia's Brunch?
Thank you!!!
Olivia's food, in general, is very good. Every pool has a laundry room with 2 washers and 4 dryers. Activities calendars can be sporatic as to when they are released. Every bus stop, except the one at Hospitality House, has an ice machine, and laundry rooms also have ice machines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter