OKW is awful - never stay there again.

Ok - just read this from start to finish (thank Hanname its not as long as the original Hanname thread!!!)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: you people MUST get a life....wait - your home is a retirement community. That means you did have a life and now its ....wait - where was I going with this? Sorry, I keep getting dizzy from the light that has me in its trance....brighter...darker....brighter...darker.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it follows me EVERYWHERE here!!!

(lighthouses are so cool! :crazy: )

I heard there will be a special OKW board meeting called for next week to discuss the possibility of raising the maintenance fee. It appears the budget has soared way over due to the increase in the number of members hitting the security gate (they're expensive to replace). There was one instance of the guard having to bail out of the guard house.

The board members are at a loss as to the rise in the number of stuck accelerators/failed brakes. In fear of his safety one CM has been arriving at work in a bumper car. It was pointed out OKW was established in the early 90s.

Now I understand why it's called OLD Key West! Thank you for this post.

Bobbi :flower:

The real confusion is over in the Turtle Pond area -- everyone keeps looking for Golden Pond.

Okay, I'm going to stop now as I wouldn't want to offend anyone that might be getting annoyed with the senior citizen jokes, which is a group my DD thinks I should be included in at the ripe old age of 44! I prefer to think of myself as PAARP material (pre-AARP). :teeth:

You didn't hear, AARP is going to partner with AAA and is going to make the Old Key West the preferred hotel for the Senior circut :rotfl2:

calypso*a*go-go said:
Okay, I'm going to stop now as I wouldn't want to offend anyone that might be getting annoyed with the senior citizen jokes, :teeth:

Hey, watch that. I'm in my sixties. Come laugh with us old you know what!!

Mary Anne said:
You didn't hear, AARP is going to partner with AAA and is going to make the Old Key West the preferred hotel for the Senior circut :rotfl2:

I hear it is going to have a four fffffffppp (pronounce it) rating.

Love this thread! Just buying into DVC and can't wait to stay at OKW! (Sorry!)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And what about that food they serve at Olivia's???? Avoid the buttermilk fried chicken with those mashed potatoes (with extra gravy) at all costs; they're just artery cloggers. :rolleyes1

This is really RweTHEREyet, using my son's computer and it is a an Apple so I don't know how to change anything, including the login, but I wanted to send an update.

O.K. finally checking in with you guys to post an update. It has taken me from last Friday until today (Tuesday) to get to my room. Now that we are here, we are leaving on Thursday, bummer.

The one thing I can say is that it is hot as hades. I know you have heard that a lot lately, but it is unbelievable, even for someone that used to live in Florida. I don't know what we would have done without the washer and dryer. Your clothes are literlly soaked after a few hours in the parks. I have done laundry every day since we have been here.

We did not get any of our room requests, but ended up in building 56, with no view of anything but trees. I am really beginning to like the non-view. We are right on the corner next to the Southpoint (I think) bus stop. This is the first we have stayed here since the new fabrics/furnishings, etc., and I really like the changes.

We have done a couple of cool things, one was to get one of the pontoon boats and take a picnic lunch and spent a couple of hours out on the lake at Downtown Disney. The other is that we took the Steam Train Tour this morning. I loved it, as the trains epitomize the Magic Kingdom for me more than the castle does. At the end of the steam train tour they gave us a coupon to take the Mickey Milestones tour for free, so we were able to get space in that one tomorrow morning. Tonight we are going to the Block Party.

All in all it has been a great trip so far, just too hot to stay in the parks as long as we normally do. Thank heavens we have have this lousy room to come back to to refresh in the afternoons.

One bit of bad news, no more takeout from Olivia's as of this week. I know a lot of folks used to do that, but no more.

By the way, it takes just as long to get to the bathroom from the living room, they did not make the rooms smaller, so still pack that snack. The parking spots are still out in front of the building. It is still nice and quiet, but without my hearing aid, I wouldn't have noticed.

That's all from OKW for the moment. If I get a chance, I will check in and post about the Block Party later on.

O.K., back as Rwe now. After looking out my window and seeing a street sign, I see we are on Peninsular, so I guess that makes it the Peninsular bus stop, but then I guess most of you regulars already figured that out. I guess it's that darned old timers that makes me keep getting mixed up. Good thing I am in a retirement facility where they look after me.

One bit of bad news, no more takeout from Olivia's as of this week. I know a lot of folks used to do that, but no more.
Wow...this is a bummer. Thanks for the update Rwethereyet. Wonder why? :confused3
OKW has few food options as it is. I believe I heard the Turtle Shack was closed as well ? Guess we'll just have to pack extra cans of Ensure ;) ;) ;)
As for the heat----it hit 99 in Philly today (with heat index of 105) so I'm not suprised it's that hot in FL. Try and stay cool ! :cool1:

RweTHEREyet,

If you are in unit 5612, could you look on top of the fridge for a cane and some denture powder. I think I left them there while I was working on the kitchen counter figuring times and distances for the drive home. On a slide rule, of course.

JackDiznee said:
RweTHEREyet,

If you are in unit 5612, could you look on top of the fridge for a cane and some denture powder. I think I left them there while I was working on the kitchen counter figuring times and distances for the drive home. On a slide rule, of course.

Is it a sign of being old if you even know what a slide rule is? Mine stayed right with me through 4 years of college.
Sorry for being OT but I couldn't resist.

They were just becomming passe when I was in high school - i used to love playing with them though - - - my dad's. He also had a yard stick that would fold all up into a thing about 4 inches by 6 inches - anyone remember those?

maybe they sell that stuff in the gift shoppe along with the geritol.

He also had a yard stick that would fold all up into a thing about 4 inches by 6 inches - anyone remember those?

Sure! Those were the predecessors to the carpenter's measuring tapes

wi-fr-300.jpg

If they don't sell them there, you could try E{lderly}bay.com.
There maybe one on display at Ol{d}ivia's too!

:teeth:

Slide rule ----- isn't that one of many things you have to obey in order to use the slide?? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter