OKW - 2 bed. vs studio+one bed

Lil

Mouseketeer
We just completed a week stay at OKW. We requested a 2 bedroom and were very surprised that it was not a studio and a one bedroom with the lock off doors open. When we joined, many, many years ago.....we were told that is what a 2 bedroom consisted of....that's why there are lock off doors. We were planning on the other room (studio) having a separate entrance, small patio, microwave, etc. What we got was a two bedroom. :)
The second room was smaller than a studio, with a second closet.

I had requested a crib for the 14 month old - by calling the front desk prior to leaving- and was told there was no such animal- just pack and plays. After one sleepless night, I saw a crib sitting outside a unit and called housekeeping. One appeared instantly!

We were given an extra hour to checkout due the the fact our flight was cancelled and we were leaving 5 hours later. I really appreciated it.

One last note - we appreciated the ID, license checks at all resort gate houses. It was not an inconvenience, but rather something they should have started years ago. They matched our resort ID to the dates on the car permit. This didn't prohibit us from going poolhopping or resort hopping (we tend to eat our way through different resorts). We had a wonderful stay - as always!

You stayed in one of the original buildings. That was the design when we joined in the beginning of DVC.

I've never noticed a difference in the size of the studio of the lockoffs vs the non-lockoffs.

It's great that you got late checkout. With a 14 month old, that must have been quite a relief.

My youngest was 5 when we joined, so I never had to use the cribs. I've often looked at them and wondered how the little ones are able to sleep well in something so small. It's terrific that you were able to get the full size crib (but not so terrific that you had to hear "no way" at first.)

And thanks for the security update. It's comforting to know that this is being done.

We will be going to the OKW very soon. We also need a crib. I would prefer a crib to the pack and play. I have two questions for you lil. Who is the best person to call for a full size crib? What was the condition of both the pack and play and the full crib. I became very picky once I became a mom!!

My understanding was that the unit was exactly the same size. The only differences being that the small hallway in the second BR didn't have the minikitchen items and that instead of the outside door, there was a closet. I have always looked at that as more room. Also I'm told some of the older units didn't have a door through the Laundry room to the BR and you had to go through the BR to get to the Masterbath though I haven't actually stayed in one of those units.

I'm not sure whether the dedicated 2 bedrooms are only in the older buildings or are scattered around the resort. Some people prefer the dedicated one, especially if they are putting children in the 2nd bedroom. You can make a request for either "dedicated" or "lock-off". The "seperate entrance to bath" is something they figured out late in the game. I think it's buildings 30 and higher that have this feature.

I'm guessing that it might easiest to request the full size crib direct from housekeeping when you check in. You could put it on your reservation and then, if it's not there, put in a call to housekeeping.

I'm not sure whether the dedicated 2 bedrooms are only in the older buildings or are scattered around the resort.

I was in a dedicated 2 br in building 50, so they are in the newer section too. I shared the 2nd bedroom with a friend and it was nice for each of us to have our own closet, plus we each had a sink to get ready in the morning. An extra bathroom sink & counter takes the place of the kitchenette.

We have stayed in both a dedicated 2 BR and a 2BR lockoff in
building #62.

Both times with 4 adults and 3 children...(second time also had a 6 month old baby.)

My daughter liked the dedicated 2 BR better with the children, there is more room for clothing, etc and the small kitchenette was not needed. It was also better not to have the second entrance door with the kids!

June:pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter