Oh the Tragedy! No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake this time! Updates x 5 9/30

Great updates. You have really helped me pas the time waiting for my mom's surgery. You reviewed several places I want to go to but can't seem to find the time.

That French toast looks heavenly once again. I have to fit GFC into my schedule someday. It is so close to the golf courses that maybe I can convince Mike to add it in on a golf morning. I also love your idea of exchanging breakfast may for an egg. Very smart.

I also want to tryVia Napoli. Mike is not a pizza fan. Plus Chicagol is like pizza Capitol. I will keep showing him your fantastic photos and hope to convince him someday.

Can't wait to hear about Pecos Bill's. Have never been but I hear such good things.

Thanks for all the updates. They came at a good time for me.

Via Napoli Lunch - Sunday May 4, 2014

DSCN2670.jpg

Lunch today was with Paula, Hunter and Beth at Via Napoli. The last time I had dined there in December it was a rather pathetic lunch since I only ordered the pasta fagioli soup which was a big disappointment. I was looking
forward to having a pie this time! Good thing for me a couple other folks had the same idea.

When Michael and I arrived, the rest of our dining party had already been seated. Coincidently, Andrea, who was our server in December, was once again serving us this visit.

Drink orders were taken and delivered…. Someone was very thirsty! That pitcher of sangria may not be a single serving but it looks like Hunter had a different idea.

DSCN2687.jpg

Our Beverage choice:
DSCN2696.jpg

Menu:

Appetizers
DSCN2679.jpg

DSCN2680.jpg

Pizzas
DSCN2684.jpg

Pasta and Salads:
DSCN2677.jpg

Non-Alcohol Beverages:
DSCN2683.jpg

Alcohol Beverages:
a5bf9b21-ff01-4af0-b056-e1d5ea93a812.jpg

Special menu item during Flower and Garden festival:
DSCN2697.jpg

Michael and I decided that the margherita pizza sounded perfect to share. Beth wanted to split a pizza as well so the three of us ordered a large margherita pizza. Serving size note: BEWARE! The medium is really large. The “large” mezzo metro is a table size pizza and will feed the entire south end of the dining room. You will thank me one day for that bit of advice.
Beth and I decided that we also wanted to add onion. Sorry Michael, you can pick it off. We also ordered a couple appetizers to share; the caprese salad and the shrimp and cannelloni bean app.

While we were awaiting our food an unfortunate accident unfolded at the table behind me. A server had delivered a fresh pizza and someone else walked by and bumped the overhanging pan and it toppled to the floor! Only one person had grabbed a slice before the entire thing was face-down on the floor. No five-second rule was invoked for that mess. They quickly replaced the pizza but how frustrating would that be to have the pizza on your table… and then on the ground?

DSCN2698.jpg

We took the opportunity to have a photo-op while we were awaiting our food.
Smiles and drinks…

DSCN2701.jpg

So what about the food?

Starting with the appetizers…
Mozzarella Caprese: Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese and Fresh Basil $9​

DSCN2704.jpg

For two slices of tomatoes, 2 slices of mozzarella and a basil leaf this was okay if not way overpriced. We asked for balsamic vinegar to drizzle over the top to give it a bit more flavor. It probably drives the chef crazy to have people modify their creations but it needed some help.

Gamberetti e Fagioli: Jumbo Shrimp, Cannellini Bean Salad, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Lemon Juice $9
DSCN2706.jpg

The shrimp and bean appetizer was a new choice for us. I was glad that Michael decided to order this and expand our Via Napoli cuisine horizons. What I liked about this appetizer is that it was light and the lemon juice had just the right zing without being overpowering. Seeing as how this only had 3 shrimp in the entire dish it should be called white beans and a couple shrimp. There’s a lot of profit margin for Disney in this dish.

Combined Appetizers:
DSCN2711.jpg

Margherita Pizza – Large $28 (Onion an additional $3.50)
DSCN2714.jpg

I hadn’t had pizza at Via Napoli since August 2012 so I was expecting great things…… and their pie didn’t disappoint. This was pizza oven perfection. I love the thin crust that has the random charred bubbles puffed up in places. It could have used an extra basil leaf or two but other than that I had no complaints.

Not forgetting that we were celebrating a special occasion, Hunter was presented a complimentary dessert of some sort. I believe it was a madeleine cookie with whip cream and a few candles shy of his real age.

DSCN2718.jpg

This was another great dining experience that we thoroughly enjoyed. This was our last meal with Beth. We said our good-byes the next day before our Teppan Edo lunch. I was glad that Beth arranged to make a visit to WDW while we were there so we could reunite following our December trip!

Using our TiW card we saved $13.60.

Here’s a few restaurant photos taken before we left:

DSCN2729.jpg

DSCN2725.jpg

DSCN2724.jpg

DSCN2692.jpg

Up Next: Kouzzina Breakast

Via was good. The pizza is so good. Thanks for splitting:goodvibes I am so glad I was able to meet up with everyone:thumbsup2

Shulas was amazing :)

Super yum! Their pizza sounds amazing!!! Glad it was a better experience for you this time. Good to know about the pizza sizes, they should be big for the $$$$ they charge lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Great updates! Isn't it terrible when real life gets in the way of the DIS and dining reports? ;)

DH and I also love Via Napoli. In fact, we were sad we didn't go there again instead of trying Tutto Italia for the first time (and last time). It's not that we didn't like Tutto Italia, it's just that we felt it was nothing special. The food was delicious but way overpriced and nothing out of the ordinary for us. But the pizza at VN...oh my! We are so picky about pizza too, being from NYC and eating it all the time, but it is fantastic there! It reminds me of Lombardi's in little Italy in NYC...a place we don't go to often at all because we aren't in Manhattan much to begin with. So VN is wonderful at WDW! You're right about the pizza size...when we ate there in 2012, DH and I shared a large (supposed to be for 2-3 people) and all 4 of us could have eaten from it! It is 8 big slices! Definitely have to return there next time we go to WDW.

Kouzzina breakfast is great and I'm sad to see it go. I'm also sad that on our 3 DVC trips staying at BWV, we only had Kouzzina breakfast for the first and only time this past July. We always went for dinner, but this time we went for both. I had the stacked breakfast which was absolutely wonderful, but I do kind of regret not getting the waffles. Now I'll never know from my own personal experience how great they are. :( Every so often I search for a recipe for them online but can't find anything, and I've searched for both WDW and Cat Cora's recipes. I would just like to know if the cheese on top is simply mascarpone mixed with a little honey, or if there's also something else for added flavor like vanilla, cinnamon, etc.

GF Cafe looks great too! We might try dinner there next trip, but not sure yet.

I wish we could take the boys to Teppan Edo. But DS9 has a shellfish allergy and cannot be in the same room where it is cooking and steaming around him. So we never go to hibachi restaurants with the boys, and we have a really good one very close to home too.

Thanks again for continuing your terrific reviews, and you've definitely convinced me that I have to get a carrot cake cookie next time...I am determined to do this! :)

Holy updates batman. So glad your trip to via was better than last time, the said caprese aside. I don't think I've ever seen one without vinegar before. And your pizza #swooning. I've eaten a lot of really good pizza in my life and theirs takes the cake, I mean pizza pie. Going next week and no question I will devour at least one if not two.

I've only eaten at teppan once when I was a kid. Think it was the one and only TS my parents let us eat at. Haven't been back since, but your meal may turn the tide for our trip.

Sadly I don't think we will ever get to eat at Kouzzina though your breakfast looks great, especially Michaels meal. YUM. I'm not normally one for a big meal first thing so we don't do it often, sadly GFC breakfast will likely elude us too.

2 Cali Grill visits in one trip. Love the way you roll. And Bloody Mary and flatbreads for dinner. Yes please and thank you! With ya on the kale though, I will stick to my out of style arugula any day.

P.S. Thanks for the info on the lamb chops

I had a lot to catch up on :banana:

Great reviews as always Brenda. I'm excited to revisit Teppan Edo next month. We haven't dined there for years!

I really need to drag Philip out of bed one morning and get him to a sit down breakfast!! GFC looks like a wonderful breakfast option :goodvibes

I read these the other day and then forgot to comment.

I really want to try Grand Floridian Cafe. I had it and then replaced it with WCC since we really liked it last year. But now I'm thinking I'll change it back to GFC. You are killing me here! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

One of these days we will get to Via Napoli; we had plans for this trip but then our friends weren't coming and we cancelled it. :sad1:

I keep canceling Via Napoli, next time we are keeping it.

Love Teppan Edo. Odd they asked to be moved.

Love California Grill.

I need to try GFC for breakfast. Had dinner there and enjoyed it.

Wow! How sore are your fingers after all that typing! What a treat to have so many reviews at once. Thanks!

Why thank you. I figured I may as well keep going while I had time. ;)

The photo of you and Micheal at tepan is such a sweet looking photo you must have it enlarged (chopped in a few places) and placed in a beautiful frame. Love the dining reports. It appears the four Mousekateers had a great time dining together. Pick me next time you have so much fun dining.

Thanks! I liked that photo too.

Dining as a group is always a lot more fun - especially with the guys since they were so hilarious. You're welcome to join in! :)

AMEN to this! :worship: Great round of updates! We are eating at Via Napoli and Teppan Edo (both first times for us!) on our January trip!

Thanks Jillian! I hope you enjoy those two restaurants. I prefer TE for the food but there are those that enjoy the handsome young Italian waiters at VN. :rolleyes1

WOW, 5 great dining updates in one evening...very impressive Brenda!!! :worship:

If I don't play catch up I'm in danger of having this thing drag on into 2015.

For me, Via Napoli is good but not a must-do every trip place. I totally agree about the pizza sizes. Their smallest pizza is way too big for one person so consequently I'll probably be skipping VN again on my upcoming solo trip.

I didn't really care for VN in December but then again I only had soup. At least this trip we had a few people sharing a large so no need for a pizza box for left overs.

Three more weeks and Kouzzina will be gone so sadly I won't have the opportunity to have one last breakfast there. :worried: I have to say that I was surprised that it will be replaced by yet another Italian restaurant since there are already two at Epcot, one next door at the Swan, and one at DHS. :confused3
We made it one last time in July for breakfast so I had my farewell meal... and it was good.

I agree... why another Italian place at the BW? :confused3 I think they should open a chicken and waffles 24 hour diner! :rolleyes:

I too really enjoy Teppan Edo. Even though we have a teppan-style restaurant not far away that is less expensive, I still much prefer Teppan Edo. I wish they accepted TIW though, but at least they do still offer the 10% AP discount on weekdays. :thumbsup2 I was bummed that I didn't get to dine with you all at TE on my last trip, so was thrilled when Joh invited me to join her and her family there in October. And as an added bonus, Linda and her DH will be with us too. I can't wait! :woohoo:
I'm very jealous! I love TE but TE with that gang will be so fun!

Ahhhh...California Grill. :cloud9: Although my two meals there on this trip did not make my favorites list, I would still have to say that it is my overall favorite restaurant at Disney. It was the first ADR that I made for my next trip. I know it won't be quite the same dining here without Paula & Hunter (no delicious amuse bouche compliments of Chef Eddie, etc. ;) ) but hopefully it will still be a great meal and again make my trip favorites list.
There IS an advantage to having Hunters' chef connections. I've had some great meals at CA Grill and then some just ok but I agree, overall, it is still a must do.

And last, but certainly not least is breakfast at GFC. I sooo love that French toast. I will definitely be dining there in October, just haven't figured out when yet. :laughing:
GFC breakfast is a must do for us! We both adore their breakfast. At least they are not hard to get walk up seating. Enjoy your meal there.

So anyway, thanks for a great round of reviews. I'm looking forward to reading the rest from this trip and maybe even a few from your July trip before I leave for WDW six weeks from today. So you must quit letting all that nasty work stuff get in the way of your DIS time. :lmao:

I sure wish I was counting down to a trip with you and the gang like last year. Em mentioned a short trip before our passes expire (and Malestrom closing) but there is that little issue of my job sucking up way too much of my time. Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoy your time with the gals. How exciting that you are only weeks away.

Great updates. You have really helped me pas the time waiting for my mom's surgery. You reviewed several places I want to go to but can't seem to find the time.

That French toast looks heavenly once again. I have to fit GFC into my schedule someday. It is so close to the golf courses that maybe I can convince Mike to add it in on a golf morning. I also love your idea of exchanging breakfast may for an egg. Very smart.

I also want to tryVia Napoli. Mike is not a pizza fan. Plus Chicagol is like pizza Capitol. I will keep showing him your fantastic photos and hope to convince him someday.

Can't wait to hear about Pecos Bill's. Have never been but I hear such good things.

Thanks for all the updates. They came at a good time for me.

I hope all went well with the surgery. :hug:

I adore the French toast at GFC... something so simple yet so well done.

As much as I love the pizza at VN, it is vacation pizza. Meaning it's not the best that I've eaten (much better than at the BW pizza window though) but when you have Chicago pizza setting a standard, that's hard to beat.

Pecos Bill was new for us too.... and a surprise hit.

Via was good. The pizza is so good. Thanks for splitting:goodvibes I am so glad I was able to meet up with everyone:thumbsup2

Shulas was amazing :)

Hi Beth! I miss you! I'm so glad that we had these meals together.

I agree, Shula's (both times with you) was pretty amazing!

Super yum! Their pizza sounds amazing!!! Glad it was a better experience for you this time. Good to know about the pizza sizes, they should be big for the $$$$ they charge lol.

Hi Lori! Yeah, $28-$31 for a large pizza you would think they'd throw in a pitcher of Sangria.

Great updates! Isn't it terrible when real life gets in the way of the DIS and dining reports? ;)

You betcha! It's annoying as heck.

DH and I also love Via Napoli. In fact, we were sad we didn't go there again instead of trying Tutto Italia for the first time (and last time). It's not that we didn't like Tutto Italia, it's just that we felt it was nothing special. The food was delicious but way overpriced and nothing out of the ordinary for us. But the pizza at VN...oh my! We are so picky about pizza too, being from NYC and eating it all the time, but it is fantastic there! It reminds me of Lombardi's in little Italy in NYC...a place we don't go to often at all because we aren't in Manhattan much to begin with. So VN is wonderful at WDW! You're right about the pizza size...when we ate there in 2012, DH and I shared a large (supposed to be for 2-3 people) and all 4 of us could have eaten from it! It is 8 big slices! Definitely have to return there next time we go to WDW.
I have not been back to Tutto since they underwent their refurb several years back. I'm just not a fan of the limited menu.

That's a compliment from a New Yorker regarding VN's pizza! :thumbsup2 I really want to try a different pizza next time. I'm in a rut with the Margherita.

Kouzzina breakfast is great and I'm sad to see it go. I'm also sad that on our 3 DVC trips staying at BWV, we only had Kouzzina breakfast for the first and only time this past July. We always went for dinner, but this time we went for both. I had the stacked breakfast which was absolutely wonderful, but I do kind of regret not getting the waffles. Now I'll never know from my own personal experience how great they are. :( Every so often I search for a recipe for them online but can't find anything, and I've searched for both WDW and Cat Cora's recipes. I would just like to know if the cheese on top is simply mascarpone mixed with a little honey, or if there's also something else for added flavor like vanilla, cinnamon, etc.

I believe the cheese on top is purely mascarpone with the honey drizzle. I've not noted any other spices or flavoring the three times I've ordered it. I imagine if you try to re-create it if you added some vanilla or almond extract that would make it even better!

GF Cafe looks great too! We might try dinner there next trip, but not sure yet.
Clearly I'm a fan of their breakfast so I will always choose that meal there. I've had dinner at GFC twice and the first time it was good.

I wish we could take the boys to Teppan Edo. But DS9 has a shellfish allergy and cannot be in the same room where it is cooking and steaming around him. So we never go to hibachi restaurants with the boys, and we have a really good one very close to home too.
Wow! With that sensitive of an allergy TE definitely wouldn't work. Even Tokyo Dining may make me nervous.

Thanks again for continuing your terrific reviews, and you've definitely convinced me that I have to get a carrot cake cookie next time...I am determined to do this! :)

Thanks Bonnie! And enjoy that carrot cake cookie when you try it!

Holy updates batman. So glad your trip to via was better than last time, the said caprese aside. I don't think I've ever seen one without vinegar before. And your pizza #swooning. I've eaten a lot of really good pizza in my life and theirs takes the cake, I mean pizza pie. Going next week and no question I will devour at least one if not two.
Hi Kari! I hope you ENJOY your trip and a pizza pie or two!!

I've only eaten at teppan once when I was a kid. Think it was the one and only TS my parents let us eat at. Haven't been back since, but your meal may turn the tide for our trip.

We've had great experiences at TE so we keep going back. Plus I don't really eat at Teppan type restaurants at home so it is a special treat when we go to WDW.

Sadly I don't think we will ever get to eat at Kouzzina though your breakfast looks great, especially Michaels meal. YUM. I'm not normally one for a big meal first thing so we don't do it often, sadly GFC breakfast will likely elude us too.
Yeah, you kinda need an appetite in the morning to enjoy some of those places. I'm a big breakfast fan so it works for me. I wake up hungry! ;)

2 Cali Grill visits in one trip. Love the way you roll. And Bloody Mary and flatbreads for dinner. Yes please and thank you! With ya on the kale though, I will stick to my out of style arugula any day.
I was glad that worked out! Arugula is my new favorite green!! Love that stuff!

P.S. Thanks for the info on the lamb chops
No problem Kari.

I had a lot to catch up on :banana:

Great reviews as always Brenda. I'm excited to revisit Teppan Edo next month. We haven't dined there for years!

I really need to drag Philip out of bed one morning and get him to a sit down breakfast!! GFC looks like a wonderful breakfast option :goodvibes

Thanks Linda! I hear that you'll be at TE with our good friends Barb and Joh! I'll miss all of you next month! Enjoy your meal!

Ha ha! Tell Philip that it will be worth it roll out of bed early for a GFC breakfast. I promise it would be good!

I read these the other day and then forgot to comment.

I really want to try Grand Floridian Cafe. I had it and then replaced it with WCC since we really liked it last year. But now I'm thinking I'll change it back to GFC. You are killing me here! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

One of these days we will get to Via Napoli; we had plans for this trip but then our friends weren't coming and we cancelled it. :sad1:

No worries Kathy! I see you've wrapped your PTR, I need to comment as well. (Other than here!)

I'm still so sad that we had to cancel! It would have been the best meet up to see you and Mark meet Michael. I don't think I'd be able to eat though since I'd be laughing so much.

We'll all meet up eventually. :hug:

I keep canceling Via Napoli, next time we are keeping it.

Love Teppan Edo. Odd they asked to be moved.

Love California Grill.

I need to try GFC for breakfast. Had dinner there and enjoyed it.

Definitely keep VN in your schedule. :)
We have similar likes.... TE is one of my favorites.

Pecos Bill's lunch - Tues. May 6, 2014

We were hanging out at MK with Paula and Hunter in the late morning and into the noon hour. After we went on BTMRR we were starting to feel a little rumbly in our tummies. We had no lunch plans this day and Pecos Bill’s was nearby so we decided to go there to eat. This was a new place for us so I was looking forward to trying it after having seen their onion rings and toppings bar.

Menu options:
DSCN4867.jpg

DSCN4868.jpg

We ordered a deluxe Angus cheeseburger and a BBQ pork sandwich with a side of onion rings. There is an option to just order the sandwich/burger if you don’t want any sides which we did for our order.

The toppings bar could use some salsa and pickles refills. However, apparently, the green salsa was less popular than the red.
DSCN4872.jpg

DSCN4873.jpg

DSCN4875.jpg

DSCN4874.jpg

The seating for Pecos Bills is at a premium so they request that your entire party be present with your food before you are seated. The CM directed us to a tiny 4 stool table. Uh…. That wouldn’t work for us. I told the seating police that we needed a larger table and could we sit at the larger 6 top table. They weren’t going to let us at first but we insisted that we needed the additional room. We saw them move other parties that were seated at smaller tables so I suppose it works to smile and ask nicely.

DSCN4876.jpg

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY enjoyed this meal. Michael and I split both sandwiches as well as the onion rings. I ate half the onion rings before I took a bite of either sandwich. I had to stop myself or I was in danger of having to go back and order some more just for Michael.

DSCN4877.jpg

I preferred the cheeseburger with the BBQ sauce, bacon, and onion ring. It was perfect! And I’m not an American cheese fan at all.

DSCN4880.jpg

The BBQ pulled pork sandwich was similar to what they serve at Flame Tree BBQ without the wonderful assortment of BBQ sauces. It was a little sweeter than I preferred but the pork was nicely cooked.

DSCN4879.jpg

Here’s my plate of ½ of the burger (Yum) and ½ the pulled pork sandwich
DSCN4883.jpg

If Em wasn’t so opposed to anything BBQ I’d bring her here but that’s not going to happen so I’ll just have to drop by when I’m traveling with Michael.

Up Next: Hoop de Doo Review

Em mentioned a short trip before our passes expire (and Malestrom closing) but there is that little issue of my job sucking up way too much of my time. Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoy your time with the gals. How exciting that you are only weeks away.

Hi Brenda - We will be in WDW the weekend before Maelstrom closes, Sept 24th to 29th. If you just happen to find a way to make a quick trip and are there when we are, let me know. I would love to meet you in person. :) BTW - the grandson who received your Buzz Lightyear stickers for his fourth birthday will be celebrating his fifth birthday this upcoming weekend. That year has sure gone quickly.

I'm glad that you had a good meal at Peco's Bills. We find it to be convenient but not necessarily consistently good. ;)

Glad you enjoyed Pecos Bill. We ate there at well in May and it was a solid CS choice I thought. My first time being in there and I thought the theme inside was cool!

Hi Brenda - We will be in WDW the weekend before Maelstrom closes, Sept 24th to 29th. If you just happen to find a way to make a quick trip and are there when we are, let me know. I would love to meet you in person. :) BTW - the grandson who received your Buzz Lightyear stickers for his fourth birthday will be celebrating his fifth birthday this upcoming weekend. That year has sure gone quickly.

I'm glad that you had a good meal at Peco's Bills. We find it to be convenient but not necessarily consistently good. ;)

Oh man! The temptation is growing. ;) If only Em hadn't put that idea in my head. Sanity is slowly returning but we shall see! Enjoy your trip and if by chance we throw all abandon I'll let you know.

Happy Birthday to your grandson! :cake: Seems like yesterday you were decorating that little box with the stickers.

Very Nice! We love Peco Bills! The taco salad is pretty good too, when the topping bar is loaded up. :)

The taco salad seems to be very popular. Of course it's dependency on the toppings bar inventory is worth noting! I'd hate to have no red salsa on my taco salad! :rotfl2:

Glad you enjoyed Pecos Bill. We ate there at well in May and it was a solid CS choice I thought. My first time being in there and I thought the theme inside was cool!

I was just glad to not have a dining reservation yet eat indoors with A/C. I'm still looking forward to returning... I just have to wait for a Michael trip. :)

Hoop de Doo Review Dinner - Tues. May 6, 2014​

DSCN5155.jpg

During our boat ride over to Ft Wilderness from BLT we had a front row seat to the gorgeous sunset.

DSCN5138.jpg

Once at Ft. Wilderness’ boat dock it was a short walk to Pioneer Hall. We were checked in and they take a photo of your group that they sell separate from the dinner package I believe. Or is it included??? I’m not sure since we had the Memory Maker so the photos were automatically added to our account.

Group photo

wd006wdw201412771797115.jpeg

Couple photo
wd009wdw201412771797142.jpeg

We had a little time to explore the resort before lining up to enter Pioneer Hall for the show.
DSCN5152.jpg

We booked Category 1, since that was the only option for TiW when we booked the reservation. Category 1 is the front and center, floor seating area. Category 2 is behind Category 1 and farther from the stage as well as some forward facing balcony seats. Category 3 is balcony seating facing the sides. Dinner is pre-paid and includes the gratuity.

Here’s a map
MDX_MOBILE_Dining_SeatingChart_Hoop_Dee_Doo-0102141.png

About the show:
This is obviously a musical review with a frontier theme. The Pioneer Hall Players are pros and perform the show flawlessly. They incorporate audience participation as well so be aware you may get chosen to have a guest role! During the performance they give a shout out to birthdays and anniversaries. If you are celebrating and not shy this could be the show for you.

DSCN5208.jpg

The featured cast includes: Claire de Lune, Johnny Ringo, Dolly Drew, Six Bits Slocum (my favorite), Flora Long and Jim Handy.

DSCN5190.jpg

DSCN5216.jpg

This show has shades of the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show which was a very popular group performing at the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland until earlier this year when they moved to Knott’s Berry Farm with their hilarious performance. I will freely admit that I love the Billy Hill show more than HDDR so it was hard to get past that when I compared the two shows.

The HDDR show has various acts and rotates the featured performers. They do have some funny moments and the musical selections aren’t bad but it wasn’t pee your pants funny.

DSCN5261.jpg

About the food:
DSCN5170.jpg

DSCN5175.jpg

When we entered the hall, we were shown our assigned table which was set with a red table cloth with red/white checkered napkins and our salads and cornbread was already set out.

DSCN5173.jpg

All food is served family style so don’t be shy about digging in. This was the better part of the dining experience in my opinion. Everything was very tasty!

Menu:
Mixed Green Salad
Cornbread
Crispy Fried Chicken
Smoked BBQ Pork Ribs
Seasonal Veggies (Corn)
Cowboy Beans
Mashed Potatoes
Strawberry Shortcake

Beverages include; soft drinks, milk, tea, lemonade, juice. Also, a selection of beer, wine, and sangria are included with the meal.

DSCN5183.jpg

The servers will bring as much food as you can eat as well as the drinks – including the alcohol. I chose a soft drink and a glass of sangria. The sangria didn’t excite me so I didn’t drink much.​

DSCN5193.jpg

The salad was a simple chilled iceberg lettuce salad with red cabbage, tomato, cucumber, and an Italian type dressing.

DSCN5174.jpg

DSCN5188.jpg

The chicken and ribs are served in metal pails while the sides have their own rustic aluminum serving dishes.

DSCN5221.jpg

I only ate a little fried chicken and ribs but they were very good. I loved the sides – especially the cornbread. The mashed potatoes were skin on, and the cowboy beans were baked beans with some pork, and the seasonal veggie was corn.

Mashed Potatoes
DSCN5222.jpg

Pork Baked Beans
DSCN5225.jpg

Potatoes and Corn
DSCN5224.jpg

My notes I wrote right after say….”mashed potatoes were creamy good with the skins, the corn was overcooked and tasted canned, the pork baked beans – loved them, and the cornbread was the a meal in itself with the whipped butter – oh sooo good!

After the dinner part of the show they have a cute number where they incorporate the servers with their trays of strawberry shortcake delivering dessert as they descend the stage.

DSCN5274.jpg

Trust me on this…. Make room for dessert. This stuff is amazing!! Pound cake, strawberries, and fresh whip cream = DeLiCiOuS!

DSCN5280.jpg

And then the big finale was coming up. They hand out washboards for the audience to participate. We passed this around our table and took turns being part of the band. All you need is a fork and a washboard and you can become a member of the band.

DSCN5297.jpg

DSCN5300.jpg

Although I may not be quick to return, this was a fun dining experience. I think Michael really loved it. If you judge by the volume of chicken and ribs that he ate alone I would say this was a successful meal.

Up Next: Whispering Canyon Café Breakfast

Okay, so I fell a bit behind, so don't mind my flurry of comments.

We loved our breakfast at the Captain's Grille in January. I went there thanks to your recommendation on your dining threads. :thumbsup2

You can't go wrong with Mickey waffles. When all else fails, eat the Mickey waffles. Sorry that the buffet was less than stellar. My Mom and I ordered off the menu and everything was great.

Yay Marissa!

I love the shot at 50's with everyone's TIW card out. That's what happens when you get a bunch of DISer's together.

Having missed out on a carrot cake cookie the last two trips, I have to make sure I get one this time. Just so many treats and not enough time!

48 ounce steak?! Okay, that totally reminds me of the Great Outdoors. :lmao: But I think that steak was like a 96 ouncer or something super obnoxious like that.

We actually have a Shula's in Chicago, we've just never gone there. I think it's a reason why we don't go out of our way to go in WDW, because we have one here.

The margherita pizza is my go to at Via Napoli. So good.

I would have cried if my pizza fell on the ground! Was it a guest that knocked it over, or a CM?

Of course you got a waffle! Deep down we're all creatures of habit, right? My Mom could totally make you a legit Belgian Waffle. She made them for us regularly when we were growing up. :goodvibes If you lived closer, we'd totally have you over. LOL.

Okay, weird that the couple asked to be moved. It wasn't you for sure. Weirdos. :rotfl2:

Dinner at CG looks great. That's still another one on my list that I haven't done yet. I have many. :lmao: I'm slowly making the rounds.

Breakfast at GFC looks amazing. The vanilla laced french toast especially.

Wow, green salsa less popular than red. Salsa verde is my favorite! I normally pile them both on top of each other.

Haven't been back to HDDR in a few years, but the last time we went my brother Jason was pulled up on stage to be part of the show. That was extremely entertaining.

Man, we were just at MK yesterday and almost went to pecos for lunch. If I'd have know they had onion rings I likely would have gone in, as the looked delish? Hit up our standby CHH instead.

I haven't done hoop do do since I was a kid, largely because of the price tag but good to know they take TiW and it's all I can drink ; ) of course for that much money I'd expect a little more ingenuity than canned corn and an iceberg lettuce salad. Sounds like you may just be visiting knotts more often ; )

Hoop Dee Doo is a definite must do at least once in a lifetime. We went for the first time in Feb 2013. The food was pretty good and the show was fun. We had a great time. But I don't think it was something that we would do very often. My guess is that the show doesn't ever change. And you can get some of the same food at Trail's End plus much more. :)

I am excited to try the HDDR this trip for my mom's birthday! I hope she enjoys it! The food looks yummy!

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter