Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Surely, that early in the morning, transportation from the host resorts to the start should be pretty swift?

Am doing the 5K, how far are we looking from the drop-off to the corrals? And is there somewhere to warm up?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no - bus drivers get lost, buses fill up and lines build the closer you get to the end of the transporation time window, car traffic backs up as multiple lanes narrow to a single lane. Remember, we're talking about 10,000 runners for the 5Ks and 10Ks, 20,000+ for halfs, PLUS staff and volunteers. That's a LOT of folks who all need to get to the same place.

Buses historically drop off right at the start area of the 5Ks. For W&D, it's the AK parking lot, which is huge - plenty of room to warm up.

I'm also a little meh on the 10k course but I usually start to struggle and lose motivation around mile 4 so it'll be good for me to have a backloaded with park time course.

Last edited:
The 10K is the same as this year's SWDS, which I ran... and I have NO memory of the stretch down World Dr.! None. Clearly it wasn't very memorable, but it must not have been awful and must have passed quickly, lol!

10k is by far my favorite distance and since I am trying to sub 60 maybe it's best that the first half is a straight shot to the fun. Less chances of congestion.

The 10K is the same as this year's SWDS, which I ran... and I have NO memory of the stretch down World Dr.! None. Clearly it wasn't very memorable, but it must not have been awful and must have passed quickly, lol!

You couldn't have passed it quickly as it was basically half the race,from the MK parking lot until you turned on Buena Vista to go to DHS around the 5k marker,I didn't run it this year but did in 2016 when it started outside Epcot,went into Epcot,the Boardwalk,DHS and then went south on World Dr to Osceola pkway were you entered WWoS through the woods.I know the bus situation was horrible at WWoS but in my opinion that was a clearly better course,you ran through Epcot and the Boardwalk at the start with it still dark out and no 3 mile stretches of highway with not much going on.Its the same reason I'm not a fan of the January half,in that one you run World Dr to and from MK twice,although the World Dr stretch in that one is more like 2 miles plus.For the W&D half this year that I will be running the Bear Island rd is nothing great but its basically the end of the full minus WWoS which I love.The W&D 10k this year is pretty dull for the first half but the second half is very good.

We have to remember that the 10k is the day before daylight savings time so it'll be mostly dark the whole time too. I rather reach the parks with some chance of a sunrise. Sunrise is set for 7:40 that morning. Don't think i'll still be runnig at that point but who knows. Sunrise will be a 6:41 for the 1/2 marathon.

I'm kinda of "meh" on the courses ... I like that it's something different, but after that I'm largely indifferent.

Pandora for the 5K is going to be ... um ... interesting. Last year, it was still pretty dark out when the last runners of the 5K passed through the part of the course that's now the Pandora area. That area is REALLY dark at night, and also has potential to bottleneck pretty hard.

I'm a little worried about doing the 5k in Pandora. It's so dark and usually slicker than snot. Every time we went in August, even on days with no rain, the pavement was wet and slick. They have coated it with something to make is luminesce, and I think that is making it slick. Plus, like you said it's kind of tight and a big bottleneck potential.

We have to remember that the 10k is the day before daylight savings time so it'll be mostly dark the whole time too. I rather reach the parks with some chance of a sunrise. Sunrise is set for 7:40 that morning. Don't think i'll still be runnig at that point but who knows. Sunrise will be a 6:41 for the 1/2 marathon.

Whoa!!I think I had read it before but forgot,so we get an extra hour of sleep for the half,that's a plus!!Luckily its fall back and not spring forward as I don't sleep much before these races,you take an hour away and its very likely I'm getting at the most 2-3 hours.I remember not signing up for a race I do most years solely because that particular year it fell on the spring forward date.

Reading back many posts, am I correct to say that we had medals preview and courses preview but no merchandise preview? :scratchin

The disneyland half merch preview came out super early this year- perhaps it's a new trend??
One point of data does not make a trend - it's a strange outlier probably because of the 10 year anniversary and the new Pixar theme.

We'll probably get it the Monday or Tuesday before the race.

I had family that ran that Cast 5k this morning and it went through Pandora, she just said it was dark & wet. So at least it's been tested before the Wine & Dine 5k. She didn't mention any slipping or bottlenecks or anything, but then I don't know how large the field was.

Just popping in super quick to update all my fellow wine and dine behind-in-training people. I managed to get in my 10 miles this morning and am still upright! Still had some pain, but it's definitely better than the last time I attempted a long run.

Had to play some mental running tricks tho - I usually pass my car once or twice on a long run. Not today. I wouldn't let myself turn around until I reached halfway. So no temptation to cut it short. DH said he would come get me if the pain was too much so I felt comfortable with this strategy.

Thanks again for the course map earlier this week - VERY motivational!

I took my new shoes for a test drive/break-in today and I really like how they feel. So I think I'll be in good shape to use them this month up through W&D weekend. I was upset they only had one color in my size (that wasn't my fave choice) but picked function over style. Until I realized they actually do match my costume, so now I'm like "DUH" and am happy about that too!

W&D is my first half (I've done three Disney World 10k's) and really looking forward to the course. Up to 11.5 miles and 2 hours on my long runs so looking good for being able to run for the required time and make the distance, I aiming for around 2:10 finish time. Training has been a bit interrupted first by hurricane Irma and then business trip to UK and only had the chance to do the long weekend runs for the past three weeks. Also had to cope with hills on the last two runs compared to the nice flat Florida streets. According to Garmin I have had to cope with a total of 600 feet of climb on each of the last two runs compared to 9 feet on runs at home. So what should have been easy Z2 heart rate runs turned in to tougher Z4 runs but all good exercise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter