Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Even for the 10K? I've heard there aren't always buses from each resort for that one?

Yes, there are buses for all the races: the 5k, 10k and half marathon.

Here is the 2016 Dark Side event guide (http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/SWHM16_WDW_Program_Online.pdf), and if you look at page 11, you will see the transportation schedule with busing available on each day.

The monorail doesn't run for the 5k and 10k, but does for the half marathon, so maybe that is what you are thinking of, but the buses are available for every race.

Last edited:
Yes, there are buses for all the races: the 5k, 10k and half marathon.

Here is the 2016 Dark Side event guide (http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/SWHM16_WDW_Program_Online.pdf), and if you look at page 11, you will see the transportation schedule with busing available on each day.

The monorail doesn't run for the 5k and 10k, but does for the half marathon, so maybe that is what you are thinking of, but the buses are available for every race.

Excellent, thank you so much, opusone! This actually helped find a flaw in my planned itinerary, so we'll be taking a red-eye in Thursday night instead of flying in Friday. Otherwise, she wouldn't have had time to get her race packet in time for the 10K.

OK, have to vent here a second. I just called runDisney to inquire about updating the SWDS event tab on their site. I mean I've noticed since doing the PHM runs in February 2016 that particular tab was revamped for next year by April. But nothing for SWDS! >:( No information icon with registration date notification, no countdown clock, no POT deadline just "TBD" is listed which looks like the standard for many of the deadline dates on the event tab, and no pictures of the inaugural run within the site at all. It's like this poor race going into its sophomore year has already been forgotten about. This is after the huge draw or runners and spectators it brought! You would think someone would be on the site updating with relevant information needed for next year in a heartbeat. I mean at least with the registration date coming up so soon on August 9, 2016. All I got as a reply was that they were concentrating on the PHM event right now. Which is fine, but then I let him have it with all I listed above. To which another mediocre reply came, "Well, I will pass it along to the leadership department and let them know. Sorry to hear about your disappointment in the meanwhile. Have a magical day." o_O So I'm done venting, thank you. Now I'm just going to cross my fingers that registration isn't all screwed up on August 9th as I have friends and family looking to sign up in different runs after I bragged about what a good time we've had doing other runs at WDW. :sad2:

I guess it is perception on the website as it looks updated. 3 of the 4 pictures on the splash page from last years event. The dates are updated for 2017 throughout. The only thing I could not quickly find was the registration date (and prices).

Not sure that that an omitted countdown clock = registration screw up.

I see your point, and yes dates for runs are updated with the banner pics being from this past April. But take a good look at PHM event tab site, and compare it to SWDS. Kinda eh, we put it up but we're not really into it.

Super excited! This will be my first runDisney event. I started training a couple weeks ago and hope to do the 10k with some friends. Of course, now I am stressing about being able to register for the 10k! Already have a 2 BR Beach Club Villa reserved for the long weekend!

I see your point, and yes dates for runs are updated with the banner pics being from this past April. But take a good look at PHM event tab site, and compare it to SWDS. Kinda eh, we put it up but we're not really into it.

From what I understand, runDisney is a very small organization and they seem to work on things largely sequentially rather than in parallel, as a result. PHM registration is currently underway and likely consuming the majority of their time and effort. Give them some time after things die down to shift their focus. Even then, the things you are concerned about would seem to fall under the "nice to have" category not "critical to haves" at registration.

Considering doing this race instead of PHM weekend. I HATE having to book and decide so far out (first world problem, I know)

I'm looking to do SW Dark Side and not PHM as well.... BF & I did PHM this year and looking to mix it up next year.

Yea I personally thought that the 'official' registration date would show up after the Princess Half registration started on 7/12. But I guess not yet.

Yea I personally thought that the 'official' registration date would show up after the Princess Half registration started on 7/12. But I guess not yet.
I was looking around last night and saw that the "official" registration info icon was now present on the SWDS event tab under registration. They have also updated the site to include the fees for each run. So you were correct.

I was looking around last night and saw that the "official" registration info icon was now present on the SWDS event tab under registration. They have also updated the site to include the fees for each run. So you were correct.

So, it appears to still be August 9th regular registration. Good to know everything is still as originally planned.

So excited for this! After marathon weekend this year my whole family wants to come back for another race and we are all massive Star Wars fans so this was a no brainer! Me, the other half and my little sister are all hoping to get into the challenge and depending on sign up the 5k as well. Hoping to stay on site for the weekend as well - I'm already far too excited!

Just popping in to say hello. I did Princess 10k last year and I convinced my husband to run with me by offering to do Star Wars this year. I'm hoping he will love it and want to do Avengers next. It would be nice if all of these events fell in line with my son's school vacations!

I had considered training up to at least do the 10K with my wife (she's the runner in the family), but at those prices, I'll just cheer her on. :)

So excited to hear others are awaiting this run like my DS and I are! If no one minds, on a different note...does anyone know when the River of Light will be up and running. Like my signature says, DH and I are headed there in October for MNSSH and was wondering if I should be on the lookout for something new to do?

So excited to hear others are awaiting this run like my DS and I are! If no one minds, on a different note...does anyone know when the River of Light will be up and running. Like my signature says, DH and I are headed there in October for MNSSH and was wondering if I should be on the lookout for something new to do?

Yes, Rivers of Light should be up and running. They're only doing the Aladdin show right now because of some technical issues with ROL they're working through (reportedly).

Yes, Rivers of Light should be up and running. They're only doing the Aladdin show right now because of some technical issues with ROL they're working through (reportedly).
Thanks, I'll keep checking on it then.

Is there an official Facebook group for runDisney's DarkSide Races? I tried searching and couldn't find a group specific to that weekend's events.

Is there an official Facebook group for runDisney's DarkSide Races? I tried searching and couldn't find a group specific to that weekend's events.

I'd definitely be interested in learning this too if there is a group. I looked and also didn't find one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter