Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Maybe a Mickey pretzel might work?

I''m all about the Mickey Pretzel. That would work.

Depending on which corral you are in and how quickly you move through the first 12 miles will have a big impact on whether any vendors will be open in AK. I started in Corral G and with about a 2:30 half I was through AK about 20-30 minutes before it opened. Even after the park opens there doesn't tend to be a full selection of vendors that early in the day. Unfortunately, I think if you are going to want anything other than a banana or gel before you enter Hollywood Studios I think you will have to carry it yourself or arrange a meet up.:sad1:

Ack, you're probably on pace with me -- which makes me so sad to think that if the husband meets me outside animal kingdom, it may be with a bagel from the Race Retreat or hotel room.

I've got 12 months to plan a strategy for a food hand off... or buy a bigger race belt to store everything ;)

Ack, you're probably on pace with me -- which makes me so sad to think that if the husband meets me outside animal kingdom, it may be with a bagel from the Race Retreat or hotel room.

I've got 12 months to plan a strategy for a food hand off... or buy a bigger race belt to store everything ;)

I might have to back up a corral ... or make more picture stops ... I want Everest to be open when I pass through ... and that's pretty much my pace too!

Brian

Question for AP folks:

My wife and I are AP holders, kids are not. We're both registering for Dopey during the early pass holder window. Can I, as an AP holder, register my son at that time (since I have to under my active account anyway - he's not 18)?

I'm pretty sure I have to wait until open registration, but sometimes I'm surprised.

Thanks

Brian
Yep, You can sign your son up since he lives in the same household. I emailed once and was told the AP holder can sign up people who live in the same household.

The husband and I were discussing last night some refuel strategy for the marathon, which leads me to this question: Is there anywhere in Animal Kingdom along the course or Wide World of Sports to buy a churro?

I recognize that by mile 13 I probably want something to refuel that isn't fuel.... so any chance to get a churro or something similar? Or does husband have to stand along the exit of AK with a churro for me and cheer as I take it?

Any recommendations on what to do for food fueling? :)

It's unlikely many of the vendors in AK will be open, and the ones in WWoS are fairly far off course. Your best bet would be to carry your fuel with you. It's not hard to bring crackers, pieces of Clif bar, or even salted potatoes with you while you run. Whatever you decide to do, I recommend practicing during your long runs to make sure it works.

It's unlikely many of the vendors in AK will be open, and the ones in WWoS are fairly far off course. Your best bet would be to carry your fuel with you. It's not hard to bring crackers, pieces of Clif bar, or even salted potatoes with you while you run. Whatever you decide to do, I recommend practicing during your long runs to make sure it works.
Mmmm... Salted Potatoes.

Don't forget, you'll get your first banana(s) just before AK if you count that as real food! :banana::banana::banana:

I'm not a big banana fan in general but I find marathon bananas to be delicious!

Don't forget, you'll get your first banana(s) just before AK if you count that as real food! :banana::banana::banana:

I'm not a big banana fan in general but I find marathon bananas to be delicious!

I can count the number of bananas I have eaten in my life and that banana outside of AK is one of them. LOL.

I need to go back and catch up but I am also registered for Dopey 2018 went through Run Disney. Super pumped. I have a lot of work to do right now in my training to train phase. I need to lose about 50 pds. I only have a 10K planned for May and a half for Oct these are just races I do all the time and didn't want to give them up but the year will be to focus on getting prepared to start Galloway in July. I think this plan will work best for me being almost 52 by race day, and being overweight right now I think this is my best bet to not be injured. I am tweaking it a bit, will start about a week or 2 later as I don't see the need to basically do Dopey before Dopey so will cap out at the 45 min/4m/10m/23m with race weekend being week 25. I look forward to reading everyones posts and being a great teammate as we move forward to this awesome goal!

Kim

I need to go back and catch up but I am also registered for Dopey 2018 went through Run Disney. Super pumped. I have a lot of work to do right now in my training to train phase. I need to lose about 50 pds. I only have a 10K planned for May and a half for Oct these are just races I do all the time and didn't want to give them up but the year will be to focus on getting prepared to start Galloway in July. I think this plan will work best for me being almost 52 by race day, and being overweight right now I think this is my best bet to not be injured. I am tweaking it a bit, will start about a week or 2 later as I don't see the need to basically do Dopey before Dopey so will cap out at the 45 min/4m/10m/23m with race weekend being week 25. I look forward to reading everyones posts and being a great teammate as we move forward to this awesome goal!

Kim

Woohoo, Kim is on the board! (It's Maura, BTW)

The wife and I are planning to be there for our first Dopey in 2018. We're currently waiting for confirmation from runDisney that we can transfer the cancelled 2017 WDW Half as a credit toward the challenge (pay the difference). If we're able to shave off 1/3 of the challenge price, that will make for a nice silver lining to this past weekend not going as planned.

The wife and I are planning to be there for our first Dopey in 2018. We're currently waiting for confirmation from runDisney that we can transfer the cancelled 2017 WDW Half as a credit toward the challenge (pay the difference). If we're able to shave off 1/3 of the challenge price, that will make for a nice silver lining to this past weekend not going as planned.

This is what I'm hoping for, too! I sent an email, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

This is what I'm hoping for, too! I sent an email, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
I emailed about it as well but I had heard people went to the expo and asked about this possibility. runDisney employees told them that it was only for another half and could not be used towards challenges. I don't know if things have changed since then but that's what was said during the race weekend.

I emailed about it as well but I had heard people went to the expo and asked about this possibility. runDisney employees told them that it was only for another half and could not be used towards challenges. I don't know if things have changed since then but that's what was said during the race weekend.

Email response I just received

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting us about the cancellation of the Walt Disney
World Half Marathon.

Out of an abundance of concern for the safety of our athletes and Cast,
we were unable to host this event, and are truly sorry for the
disappointment this caused. Regretfully, as a participant in the Dopey
Challenge, we are unable to extend a transfer of your registration to a
future event. You can, however, select from the following two options:

- Option 1: A full refund, minus ACTIVE.com fees, for the cost of the
race registration in the form of a Disney Gift Card.

- Option 2: Two complimentary 1-Day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park
Hopper Option, valid for use on any future visit to the Walt Disney
World Resort.

At your convenience, I encourage you to respond directly to this
message, clearly indicating the recovery option you would prefer.

The runDisney reps we talked to on Saturday told us it could be applied toward the challenge with us paying the difference, but it doesn't surprise me that there would be conflicting information. Throwing it all together in less than 24 hours while also gearing up for the Sunday marathon, that's why we're waiting to hear back more officially before setting expectations. Even if we're forced to go the gift card route instead, we can still apply that toward room or food to the same effect, provided we're able to get registered.

ETA: Over the weekend, it also seemed they were handling Goofy/Dopey people a bit differently than they were half-only people.

At least with this option, you can use the gift card towards lodging or race merchandise? Stinks, though.
Yes you can use it towards rooms, food, park tickets, and race merchandise. As others have pointed out it's better than nothing really.

So for those who ran Dopey and brought Families....

Did you find any one park visit strategy better than another? We arrived to the BC and walked into EPCOT at about 2PM. While it was a lot of fun to see the tail end of the marathon, it was miserable trying to navigate around with the marathon crossing sites near England and all the marathon spectators in the way.

I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday would best be used at HS/AK which are furthest and least accessible to runners for crowds.

Also, Resort advice? I'm booked at the Cosmo but after visiting this week we're probably switching to the GF.

Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter