Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting posting about the two-tier mini-cakes. I would like to surprise DD with one. Has anyone done a Tangled or Peter Pan inspired cake that could point me in the direction of a photo?

I currently have a plain cake ordered for her birthday dinner at Ohana - so I will call and cancel this and order a mini-cake from Grand Floridan Private dining to be delivered to Ohana. I hope I have this right, is there an email address as well?

If you go to page one of this thread most of the cakes are listed there. I didn't see Peter Pan or Tangled but I wasn't looking very hard.

Thanks for letting posting about the two-tier mini-cakes. I would like to surprise DD with one. Has anyone done a Tangled or Peter Pan inspired cake that could point me in the direction of a photo?

I currently have a plain cake ordered for her birthday dinner at Ohana - so I will call and cancel this and order a mini-cake from Grand Floridan Private dining to be delivered to Ohana. I hope I have this right, is there an email address as well?

If you go to page one of this thread most of the cakes are listed there. I didn't see Peter Pan or Tangled but I wasn't looking very hard.

I'm not sure if they can do it for the 2-tier minis, but based on the cake info provided by Lurkyloo- both Peter Pan and Tinker Bell are options as white chocolate figures. I have not seen any Peter Pan cakes on here, but there are a couple of nice Tinker Bell ones. I also thought I had seen a Tangled inspired one at some point, but I may also be thinking of cake research I've done off the boards.

Speaking of which, while I think a sculpted cake of Rapunzel's tower is likely out of the question- I've seen some really neat Rapunzel ideas. One of my faves that might work with the mini cakes involved an edible image of Rapunzel on top and the layer edges decorated by braids adorned with flowers. The actual cakes were decorated like the floating lanterns. You might try searching Flickr.

We are going in October and are staying at POR. I am looking into getting a cake for my brother in laws birthday. We want it to be Disney and fishing related. Is there any way we can have that as a 6 inch cake? Info please and thanks!

Here's a link to info for POR: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/#por

White Chocolate Stitch Figure

Wondering how much it would cost to have this painted?!

Last year I was quoted $45 for a painted white chocolate figure at the Contemporary, but Grand Floridian's prices are usually higher. I'd figure on at least $65.

Here's the only Tangled cake I've seen in this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41710898&postcount=2640

That's right. We are not allowed to give out CM emails on the DIS, but once you call, the Private Dining contact will hook you up. :thumbsup2

I didn't even think to post this here until I was browsing the Cake Thread for cake ideas for Christmastime this year!!!

We went to Disney last September & I got a wonderful surprise from some friends/co-workers of mine!!! They purchased this cake for me & it was waiting for me in the room with some Disney balloons, silverware/plates, etc. Whoever delivered it pulled out the desk in the room at the Beach Club & put a table cloth overtop of it.

Here are some pictures! It was a white cake with white icing & it was delicious! I think they called the Beach Club Bakery to order it.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's what I saw when I entered the room! The blue balloon is shaped like a Mickey head. The red & yellow balloons are regular balloons with Disney designs on them.

ry%3D400

What it looked like once I cut into it (ignore the little brown specks -- that's chocolate from the chocolate/caramel apple I purchased at Goofy's Candy Co at Downtown Disney! I used the same knife to cut it & my cake!)

ry%3D400

Close-up of the balloons

ry%3D400

Got a call back today from the event planner at the Y&B club. They will do a mini wedding-style cake (2 layers, as pictured in previous posts). She said chocolate or vanilla only, but is checking on my request for red velvet. She'll call back tonight or tomorrow. She did quote me $35, same price as the 6" cake.

She also mentioned a mini castle...and said it was the size of a muffin. I didn't ask more, but if I remember, I'll try to ask when they call back.

Got a call back today from the event planner at the Y&B club. They will do a mini wedding-style cake (2 layers, as pictured in previous posts). She said chocolate or vanilla only, but is checking on my request for red velvet. She'll call back tonight or tomorrow. She did quote me $35, same price as the 6" cake.

She also mentioned a mini castle...and said it was the size of a muffin. I didn't ask more, but if I remember, I'll try to ask when they call back.

They never did call me back, but I called this morning. YES! WE are getting the 2-tier mini cake in red velvet. The gal I spoke with today didn't know about a mini castle, so I'm not sure what that was all about. The 2-tier mini cake is $31.

I guess I should call then in the next couple of days to see what options I will have for Tony's town square...this is exciting, keep the pictures coming please:)

We have been planning this trip for months.

Is there any way I can get the Contemp to deliver a cake to the Grand??????

We have a birthday dinner to celebrate, and our party of 7 just could not decide where to eat.

We really want to dine at 1900 Park Fare, but "I" really want cakeman Bri to make the cake.

I tried consoling myself that the Grand makes all kinds of wedding cakes, so its gotta be fantastic, right?

I called Pat tonight to order our cake. (dinner is 9 days away)

Many have posted it was difficult to contact her, but I had a short wait, and got right through to Pat.

This is where my disappointment starts. I have been planning this cake in my head (with the help of DD for several months, we know exactly how we would like it to be, and its not too technically difficult.)

We want an Alice in Wonderland theme cake.

First off, Pat says she is happy I called back, because there was an issue with my cake. ???? I haven't called before today, so, um, not my cake.

Once we get that established, she kept trying to get me to order a very basic cake.

I kept saying the words specialty cake, fancy cake, CUSTOM cake. I told her 10 inch, but she kept offering me a basic 8 inch choc or white cake.

White or chocolate cake were my ONLY options.

I had 3 choices for fillings? only 3? really? for a custom cake? but I could choose more than 1. I could choose different ones for each layer.

When we started talking about the actual decorations is where it REALLY went down hill.

We are a buttercream family. We do NOT like fondant. I think is the only thing that kept the price from going sky high (at this point, anyway)

We would like some 'scenes" on the sides of the cake, which she told me could only be made with screen print images on chocolate.

I really wanted the queen of hearts playing croquet on the top of the cake.

I wanted a dimentional figure on the top of the cake. I do NOT want a chocolate statue. But an (approx) 4 inch figure. She said nope, can't do it.
I asked about fondant, modeling chocolate, royal icing?

She said they COULD .....only IF.....IF I had ordered the cake 4 months ago!

WHAT??????
NO ONE said I had to call and order the cake 4 months in advance.
AND
it would cost $400 for the figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a 4 inch figure??????

I KNOW cakeman Bri had made dimentional objects on his cakes.

and the cakes were in no way near the $600 price range for the cake.

SOOOOO disappointed. I really do NOT want a screen image on chocolate, and Pat said she couldn't even promise THAT because she couldn't find the exact 'clip art' I wanted.

I feel better for venting, but I still feel disappointed.

Is there ANY hope about getting the cake from somewhere else for our dinner at 1900 Park Fare, and it resembling what I pictured in my head??

I don't know what to do. I really don't want to pay $160 for something I already feel disappointed about.

We have been planning this trip for months.

We have a birthday dinner to celebrate, and our party of 7 just could not decide where to eat.

We really want to dine at 1900 Park Fare, but "I" really want cakeman Bri to make the cake.

I tried consoling myself that the Grand makes all kinds of wedding cakes, so its gotta be fantastic, right?

I called Pat tonight to order our cake. (dinner is 9 days away)

Many have posted it was difficult to contact her, but I had a short wait, and got right through to Pat.

This is where my disappointment starts. I have been planning this cake in my head (with the help of DD for several months, we know exactly how we would like it to be, and its not too technically difficult.)

We want an Alice in Wonderland theme cake.

First off, Pat says she is happy I called back, because there was an issue with my cake. ???? I haven't called before today, so, um, not my cake.

Once we get that established, she kept trying to get me to order a very basic cake.

I kept saying the words specialty cake, fancy cake, CUSTOM cake. I told her 10 inch, but she kept offering me a basic 8 inch choc or white cake.

White or chocolate cake were my ONLY options.

I had 3 choices for fillings? only 3? really? for a custom cake? but I could choose more than 1. I could choose different ones for each layer.

When we started talking about the actual decorations is where it REALLY went down hill.

We are a buttercream family. We do NOT like fondant. I think is the only thing that kept the price from going sky high (at this point, anyway)

We would like some 'scenes" on the sides of the cake, which she told me could only be made with screen print images on chocolate.

I really wanted the queen of hearts playing croquet on the top of the cake.

I wanted a dimentional figure on the top of the cake. I do NOT want a chocolate statue. But an (approx) 4 inch figure. She said nope, can't do it.

WHAT??????
NO ONE said I had to call and order the cake 4 months in advance.
AND
it would cost $400 for the figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a 4 inch figure??????

and the cakes were in no way near the $600 price range for the cake.

SOOOOO disappointed. I really do NOT want a screen image on chocolate, and Pat said she couldn't even promise THAT because she couldn't find the exact 'clip art' I wanted.

I feel better for venting, but I still feel disappointed.

Is there ANY hope about getting the cake from somewhere else for our dinner at 1900 Park Fare, and it resembling what I pictured in my head??

I don't know what to do. I really don't want to pay $160 for something I already feel disappointed about.

We had Brian at the Contemporary make a Alice in Wonderland themed cake with fresh rasberry inside. I think it was a 10 inch. There is a picture of it in this thread post 2104. We had figures on top but we ordered them from the Disney website and had him incorporate them into the cake. We also did buttercream frosting. The cake was amazing and my daughter loved it. It only cost us $75.00. We are going to order a cake from Pat at the GF this June. I was really hoping she would be easy to work with. Your post is kind of scaring me a bit. :scared1: I hope it works out for you. Both resorts have done some amazing cakes.

I knew I had seen an Alice cake somewhere... that was cute, and less than half of what Pat quoted me for the one I ordered.

Pat suggested I try to find a 'queen' myself and either bring it with, or send it to her before, to the placed on the cake.

I REALLY wanted something edible, but not just the flat chocolate 'picture'.

I still can't believe she said I should have ordered 4 months ago.

And while I know a 3 dimensional figure could cost more, I was NOT expecting $400 more JUST for the figure.

The only places the Contemporary Bakery delivers are the Contemporary, Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and the Magic Kingdom.

Fondant cakes have buttercream under the fondant. Almost nobody eats the fondant, they peel it off and eat the cake and buttercream frosting underneath.

If you want designs printed on the cake, they have to be screen-printed onto something that is then put on the cake, like white chocolate. The cake does not fit in the screen-printer. :teeth:

I too have had communication difficulties in the past with Pat, so I know where you're coming from. But you have to understand that Disney forbids its bakeries from hand-making Disney characters due to potential problems with maintaining the integrity of the character likenesses. It can take them months to get a mold for a new white chocolate character figure approved by the powers that be... I would wager that the 4-month timeframe she gave you is how long it would take the chefs to create a likeness of the queen and get it approved.

Yes, but never any Disney characters, for the reason listed above.

Pat suggested I try to find a 'queen' myself and either bring it with, or send it to her before, to the placed on the cake.

This is the way you have to do it at Disney if you want a figure on the cake that's not one of the pre-approved white chocolate figurines, no matter which bakery you're dealing with.

I would contact a local bakery like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles and have them make it and then deliver it to you when you get to the restaurant (they cannot deliver it to the restaurant if you're not there, and Disney will not keep it in the kitchen for you). Numerous brides and grooms on the DIS weddings boards have done this when they wanted an elaborate wedding or groom's cake that Disney wouldn't do or wanted too much money for. :thumbsup2

The only places the Contemporary Bakery delivers are the Contemporary, Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and the Magic Kingdom.

*sigh* That was what I was afraid of.

Fondant cakes have buttercream under the fondant. Almost nobody eats the fondant, they peel it off and eat the cake and buttercream frosting underneath.

no one, and I mean no one from my group will eat the fondant. I truly just want a buttercream cake, and Pat said they could do it. That wasn't a problem.
Also, why waste their time (and my money) to even put fondant on the cake in the first place?

If you want designs printed on the cake, they have to be screen-printed onto something that is then put on the cake, like white chocolate. The cake does not fit in the screen-printer. :teeth:

I didn't have any issues with the chocolate screened scenes on the sides of the cake. (I would have preferred them to be dimentional, but I would be okay with the screening)

I too have had communication difficulties in the past with Pat, so I know where you're coming from. But you have to understand that Disney forbids its bakeries from hand-making Disney characters due to potential problems with maintaining the integrity of the character likenesses. It can take them months to get a mold for a new white chocolate character figure approved by the powers that be... I would wager that the 4-month timeframe she gave you is how long it would take the chefs to create a likeness of the queen and get it approved.

But I don't WANT a chocolate mold I don't want anything near that large. and actually, it doesn't even HAVE to have the queen.
The important pieces (to us) are the flamingo croquet stick and the hedgehog ball.

Yes, but never any Disney characters, for the reason listed above.

This is the way you have to do it at Disney if you want a figure on the cake that's not one of the pre-approved white chocolate figurines, no matter which bakery you're dealing with.

I would contact a local bakery like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles and have them make it and then deliver it to you when you get to the restaurant (they cannot deliver it to the restaurant if you're not there, and Disney will not keep it in the kitchen for you). Numerous brides and grooms on the DIS weddings boards have done this when they wanted an elaborate wedding or groom's cake that Disney wouldn't do or wanted too much money for. :thumbsup2

but... isn't that sort of awkward to get up in the middle of dinner to 'go see of the cake is here yet...' kinda ruins the surprise, I would think.

I KNOW how good the disney cakes taste, and I know nothing of these other places you mention???

How early should you order a cake by then? I thought it was just a few weeks out. I need a cake for May 20th. Should I order it now then? Or wait to be a little bit closer to the actual date? Thanks.

Ok, so am I understanding that the Contemporary makes cakes for the MK restaurants? If so, what is the number that I will call to order my cake? Thank you.

I knew I had seen an Alice cake somewhere... that was cute, and less than half of what Pat quoted me for the one I ordered.

I REALLY wanted something edible, but not just the flat chocolate 'picture'.

I still can't believe she said I should have ordered 4 months ago.

And while I know a 3 dimensional figure could cost more, I was NOT expecting $400 more JUST for the figure.

Yes, that is a lot of money. I just don't think I could justify the cost. Yikes. Maybe if you find a good topper she could add edible decorations that are not so costly. My daughter was very specific on the the flowers looking just like the ones in the movie and she wanted little mushrooms just like in the movie. I sent pics and they were able to recreate those perfectly.

hmm just thinking out loud...can they screen print on fondant? We will be having cake at CRT for dds bday. She LOVES to read to i was doing some searching and found a Beauty and the Beast cake It looked like an open story book and on the pages were the characters and im thinking where the words would go could say Happy birthday. Any one get what im saying lol I also wonder how small we could go. its just our famly this trip and last trip we traveled with another family and had a gorgeous 8inch cake. We had soooo much left over.

I know it's kinda off the subject, but are we able to get powdered donuts delivered to our room (at the contemporary) with a candle in the morning? We will also be doing a cake, but the donut thing is kinda a tradition. Has anyone else done this or something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter