Off the clock? No time for guests' questions

We really don't know exactly what the memo says. Besides it's always up for interpretation by all those GSM's... I wouldn't be suprised if we hear down the line that there was some kind of punishment dealt out...we all remember the American Flag pin on the uniform debate..right?

One thing I have noticed with this thread and the subsequent posts is THOSE CM'S POSTING HERE ARE NOT COMPLAINING. "Show" and someone else mentioned that no-pay walk time has been around for several years without noticible deminishment of customer service.

Someone one earlier did the math on the cost savings involved and it was over a $1,000,000. That is a significant savings for any company.

Scoop is going this weekend. I am going last week of June. Why don't we suspend this discussion until we return and compare notes. See if CM interaction has lessened.

Another point on this topic.

There has been a lot of discussion here that the cast members go above and beyond the call of duty on a daily basis. I agree with this, I have experienced it many times myself. As many times as I have been to the parks I can count bad cast member experiences on two or three fingers.

My comment is to remember where this comes from. Did Disney just luck up and hire these really great people? More likely it is the corporate culture that breeds this desire to treat everyone as the most special guest there. The big problem I see with this memo is that it is the first time that I have heard Disney tell their employees to do something against this previous philosphy of put the guest first. I have never attended a Disney training seminar but know people that have. They all came home with the mantra of customer first.

This memo is the first chip in that armor. Dismiss it as trivial if you wish, but once you start this slide it gets harder and harder to pull out of it.

Originally posted by kenjean
Another point on this topic.

There has been a lot of discussion here that the cast members go above and beyond the call of duty on a daily basis. I agree with this, I have experienced it many times myself. As many times as I have been to the parks I can count bad cast member experiences on two or three fingers.

Can someone give me an example of what a CM does above and beyonod the call of duty?

A few points after reading the recent comments:

1- I am not at all surprised that Show and the other CMs aren't too put off by the memo/policy. This is not new to them, and they are obviously "committed to the cause". I am more concerned about CMs who don't care enough about Disney to discuss these things on Internet message boards. New CMs who never knew management ever expected them to act as if they are "on-stage", even if they are just walking through the park in-costume.

2- I can understand not wanting to pay walk-time for CMs who don't walk through the park in-costume. If there are certain areas that allow the CMs to exit through employee exits, or at least change clothes first, then no, they shouldn't be paid walk time. This is not difficult to administer. Many large corporations designate certain jobs/shifts for special pay scales/rates/procedures. So the cost is not nearly as large as some have speculated.

3- The comments from Voice about CM behavior shouldn't be taken to be an indictment of all, or even most, CMs. We are talking about the lowest common denominator, if you will. The bottom 10%, or 5%, or whatever. When paid for their walk-time, these CMs have no choice but to provide Disney quality interactions at all times or they are gone. If not paid for their walk-time, they can do ANYTHING they want, and they can't even be verbally warned. I know most CMs are wonderful, caring people that Walt would be proud to have lunch with. But there are exceptions.

I don't want to overplay the significance of this. Its only one decision, and it will be un-noticed by most guests. In fact, most of us will probably not see any immediate impact because we probably find few occasions where we need to stop a CM and ask questions. But there will definitely be some guests who do not get as positive an experience as they would have otherwise recieved. Policies are a reflection of management's direction, and this policy can only be viewed as a bad sign.

Grrrr

No one answered my questions directly, so I'm stuck having to assume things.

It seems like if a CM had a 4 hour shift they got paid for 4 hours plus 20 minutes "costume exchange" time. I assume now those CM's still had their 4 hour shifts, just no 20 minutes.

There's been a lot of talk about the business perspective and what kind of direct effect this has on guest service, but I'm a lot more concerned about the direct effect on the Cast Member and the indirect effect on guest service.

A CM that worked 4 shifts a week, would be out 1.3 hrs pay per week 5.2 hours for a month. And from some perspectives that may not seem like much since that's only about $30. But I remember while I was working in college, making the same amount as the Cast Members at WDW, that $30 was the difference between paying the phone bill, or getting groceries (eating) for a week.

I also remember during the time redpants said the change took place (1996-1999) that there were issues with CM medical, the take home costumes. I don't remember if their were also issues with the housing or not. But I also remember there being a lot of talk about Disney having to change its recruitment strategies and standards to fill the positions.

So I wonder every time Disney changes something that makes the CM's life a little more difficult and nibbles, nibbles at their paychecks, how many quality CM's have to make the tough decision that they simply can't afford to work at Disney anymore. How many quality CM's have already walked away? I know there's been lots of discussion here from people say they have already seen a drop in CM service over the last 5 years, so it's not necessarily whether this policy (not paying for walk/costume time) will result in a drop in guest service, but whether if it already has.

Scoop is going this weekend.
Duck, we're ALL going this weekend. Well, not really all of us, but a good chunk. I'll make a point to ask as many questions of walking CMs as I can. I'll report the reactions.

Is this in and of itself a big deal, probably not. But its just one small thing that when added up has a possibility to affect the treatment guests will get from CM's. Disney is send the message loud and clear that we dont want to pay you for the service you provide and the old timers may think its no big deal but it may have a different affect on new employee's who may not neccesarily buy the disney line and make them more disgruntled! Ths can in any way be looked at as a positive unless your blinded by disney pixie dust!!!

Hopemax--

To directly answer your question using the 4 hour shift example:

In the past, a CM working a 4 hour shift (12-4) would LEAVE theri work location at 3:40 to accomodate for the walk time. So, they were being paid a total of 4 hours.

Now, the CM LEAVES the work location at 4,, still being paid 4 hours.

CMs did not lose any pay due to the elimination of walk time. Rather, the company gained an additional 20 minutes of work time in the location from the CM.

(Honestly--with walk time many CMs were able to leave the entire WDW property within 5 miuntes, so they were esentially driving home while still "on-the-clock"--myself being one of them!)

Do all CM's have the choice of changing into costume near their assigned work location?

Even without a changing location, a CM could just come a few minutes early wearing shorts and white tank top and carrying the costume in a paper bag. (Indistinguishable from a guest and also much more comfortable hustling across the park in Florida's heat and humidity.) Then put the costume on over that just before punching in.

Sometimes it is undesirable for CM's to be in costume criss crossing the park when not on duty. There is supposed to be only one Mickey Mouse, one Goofy, etc. visible at any given time from any spot in the park.

(In department stores during the holiday season, there was supposed to be only one Santa Claus visible including being seen outside through glass doors, from any spot in the store.)

Also, CM's need their break time to go to the rest room, etc. The guests have no way of knowing this.

One thing CM's could try is saying to an inquiring guest, "If you follow along with me I can try to answer your inquiry" and therefore keep moving and not be delayed on their way to the time card clock or wherever.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

this is from a thread on the attractions and strategies board on the same subject from
999ghts.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by treesinger
What really bothers me is that this issue was highlighted by management. I mean, if all of us, and the cast members, understand the importance of being "Disney", how could mgt. possibly draw a distinction between "payed to be nice" and "not payed to be nice"? Why was this issue even put forth by mgt.?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was talking to a Union representative today and we got on this subject :) And the answer to the question is this. The issue was highlighted by management because there was a CM that was off the clock and did not assist a guest, it turned into a big issue because the guest went to guest relations and put in a complaint. The managers then tried to reprimand the CM for his actions which in turn sparked a union greivance. Being that the CM was off the clock and was not rude but merely stated that he was off and unable to assist, the CM won the grievance and the upper management was forced to come out with some sort of policy across the board. The only way to do this was to make a written statement that would be sent to all managers advising that it is the CM's decision to assist or not, once they are off the clock managers can no longer take situations of this nature into their hands. Obviously they still expect the CM's to be polite about it, but... I still stand by what I have said before I personally have no problem answering a simple question on my way out (if it is a complex question or situation I would direct the guest elsewhere, but for a simple can you tell me where such and such is? it's easier to just answer).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter