NYE at WDW - Am I crazy to plan this? LOL!

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
We just returned from WDW last week and I’m already in planning mode for our next trip.

DD and I really want to celebrate NYE there - at the time of our next trip she’ll be 21yrs old.
We watch ResortTV1 on NYE and it looks like a blast - a lot of people, but looks like fun.

Who here has been there on NYE?
Would you please tell me your opinion on your NYE experience.
Which park were you at when the clock chimed midnight?
Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

We just returned from WDW last week and I’m already in planning mode for our next trip.

DD and I really want to celebrate NYE there - at the time of our next trip she’ll be 21yrs old.
We watch ResortTV1 on NYE and it looks like a blast - a lot of people, but looks like fun.

Who here has been there on NYE?
Would you please tell me your opinion on your NYE experience.
Which park were you at when the clock chimed midnight?
Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly.

We have been on NYE. It is super busy but its not a horrible experience if you know what to expect with wait times etc. I think its a little better with reservations since that somewhat limits the amount of people. Last time we at NYE we were at Hollywood Studios on the 31st at midnight. They gave out party supplies NYE hats and horns. If you can plan a trip that extends to the first few days of January, I think you have better chances of less lines than going the few days before NYE. Airport lines are crazy too. Trying to leave...

Reactions: slo
I think it's all about expectations. Go in with the right ones and it can be a blast. We did NYE at EPCOT a few years back (caveat: pre-pandemic & reservation system). It's not for me but I wouldn't dissuade you from doing it either - more personal preference. During the day and early afternoon, it was great. Like almost wondering where the people were. But it changed swiftly. We had an early dinner at La Hacienda. It was a "regular" seating with their usual menu before they had a separately ticketed special dinner. Dinner was terrific and happened to be timed to the early fireworks, so that was great.

By the time we emerged from dinner (~7 or so), things were crazy. The route around World Showcase turns to one way only and it's intense. Like you have no real choice but to move with the flow of the crowd intense (know that's also a bottleneck area in the park so that could be part of it and not indicative of other areas). We had younger kids (~elementary to middle school age) with us and the only solution was to do 1:1 supervision - could not practically stay together in groups larger than 2-3.

Very much a party atmosphere and fun. People are feeling good. Fun individual activities in the countries like the silent disco or dance parties. Crowds are intense and lines (food, bathroom etc.) are long. People stake out spots for fireworks insanely early. The park does open some grassy areas not typically open to guests on nights like this, so that's novel.

We decided to go back to our resort (Boardwalk) after the early dinner and just hang there. They had a DJ in the green and were doing games for the kids. We got a couple of bottles of wine and the grown-ups just hung out on the porch while the kids had a blast at the party.

The crowds were too much for me, but I also possess ZERO patience. The vlogs do make it look like such fun and I don't think they're being misleading. I think all about your tolerance and expectations. I just know myself well enough that that level of crowds is a no-go FOR ME.

We were there last NYE (12/27-1/2) and are planning on it again this year. Yes the parks are crowded. However, we used Genie (it was an expense that we budgeted for and cut out some table service meals to pay for, I know this year it will be more than it was last year). We never waited more than 35 minutes for anything and rode everything we wanted. On NYE we did Epcot in the AM and it wasn’t bad at all (maybe people were gearing up for the evening there). We did a very late Topolinos breakfast, then went back to our room at Dolphin and then did the evening at HS. It was so much fun! They had a DJ in front of MMRR. They do a countdown and some fireworks (though nothing like MK or Epcot). We purposely chose HS thinking it would be less crowded than MK or Epcot and it was. It was crowded but not wall to wall people hanging around close to midnight. We ate dinner that evening at Hollywood Brown Derby patio as a walk up with about an 30 minute wait. Rode several rides. After we caught the boat back to Dolphin and were in our room by 1245. I don’t think I could do Epcot or MK on NYE. I imagine Epcot is like a Saturday evening during a food and a wine on steroids.

We went for NYE in 2021--- avoided MK, but went to the Epcot party, and it was unbelievable !! Huge party atmosphere--- and I really cant take crowds, but it wasnt that packed that I felt overwhelmed - I would do it again in a heartbeat !!

We've done it three times, but on our first visit we tapped out of Epcot after the 630 fireworks, lol. It was pure chaos and we said we'd never do it again, but then booked to go back the very next year :rotfl:
For that first one we were at Kidani village and were stuck on a bus TO epcot for over two hours because traffic was insane.
The next year we vowed to never stay anywhere on NYE that wasn't accessible via monorail or boat - no more roads on NYE!
So the second trip and this year's trip we stayed at the Poly.
For ringing in 2019 we rang in the new year from the pool deck at the Poly after an evening at Trader Sam's and it was great! This year we stayed club level so we'd have a designated beach spot, and then didn't even make it to midnight, LOL.

I have come to appreciate rope drop on January 1 more than a late night out on NYE.

We enjoy going at this time of year despite the crowds because we've learned how to manage it, so I'm sure we'll be back more than a few times again. We've gone once just DH and I, and the other two times with our kids. It's always a lot of fun.

We’ve done NYE in Epcot a few times pre-Covid.
Love it!
Crowded, but super fun.
Lots of staff working and super well organized. :)
My favourite place to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter