November W.I.S.H. - Thankful is as thankful does.

With Thanksgiving just weeks away, I am teaching thankfulness to my students. Most had never heard the term, so I had to explain it to them. I read them the book that illustrates thankfulness well, then everyone got to say what they were thankful for. It started with someone being thankful for toys, and by the end of it, my medically fragile student thanked his friends for taking care of him.:sad:

Every day we will add more thankfuls to our list.

I am thankful for all of those little stinkers.

Wahoo I didn't have to cook dinner tonight.
Wahoo I am journaling my food. No. It isn't fun, but I am doing it! First day I was over calories, second day under. Not sure where I am today, as haven't entered dinner yet.

I updated my weight in My Fitness Pal (why I was over calories!). It was interesting to see what I was when I last did that, and nice that I had to subtract not add to change it!

I am thankful for Costco roasted chicken!

Hello all...its 3am and I'm awake! DD was sent home from school after she threw up and has been going back and forth between being her bouncy self and being pukey and miserable. Yay stomach bugs. Makes me think what DS6 had earlier in the week was a bug as opposed to a migraine which was my assumption (yay?). So not very thoughtful right now beyond I hope she feels better in the morning and man am I tired!
Was able to book vaccine appointments for the DSs on Saturday! Preparing to lay low Sunday hopefully they wont feel too icky.
Thankful that the bloodwork I did for my biometric screening shows all good/normal results. Got "at risk" for my BMI with weight to height ratio but honestly I dont think I know anyone personally that has not received that particular notation.
The Halloween candy being on the counter is BAD. I've been working on trying to mindfully eat especially during times of stress....yeah not going great right now.
Oh well trying to stay positive all around. The good is outweighing the bad right now and hoping it stays that way. The mental health journey, at this stage, is more important than the physical healthy journey.

Hello all...its 3am and I'm awake! DD was sent home from school after she threw up and has been going back and forth between being her bouncy self and being pukey and miserable. Yay stomach bugs. Makes me think what DS6 had earlier in the week was a bug as opposed to a migraine which was my assumption (yay?). So not very thoughtful right now beyond I hope she feels better in the morning and man am I tired!
Was able to book vaccine appointments for the DSs on Saturday! Preparing to lay low Sunday hopefully they wont feel too icky.
Thankful that the bloodwork I did for my biometric screening shows all good/normal results. Got "at risk" for my BMI with weight to height ratio but honestly I dont think I know anyone personally that has not received that particular notation.
The Halloween candy being on the counter is BAD. I've been working on trying to mindfully eat especially during times of stress....yeah not going great right now.
Oh well trying to stay positive all around. The good is outweighing the bad right now and hoping it stays that way. The mental health journey, at this stage, is more important than the physical healthy journey.
I think it took me so many tries to get to goal because I was not mentally ready-and you’re absolutely right, that comes first and at our own pace.

Random thoughts:

Last session my Counselor was reading from the book 'Your Brain on Nature". I liked what I heard so I ordered the book, haven't started to read it yet but have opened it a couple times and scanned what was being said on those pages. Latest section is called "Light - Natural Deprivation and Artificial Gluttony". It talks about how natural light during the day enhances cognitive performance and the withdrawal of light in the evenings should bring on a mental decline and desire to sleep, and about how damaging living under artificial light really is.

I hadn't really thought about light this way before, just about how sunlight deprived we are here in the winter months, when the days get so short. Then last night on the local news they were talking about the end of day light's savings time this weekend and how in Washington we still have to do the time change even tho we voted to stop it years ago, because the decision has to be made at the national level. They said without the time change, during the shortest days the sun would rise around 9am and set around 5:30, instead of 8am/4:30am. That got me to contemplating whether or not it would really be better, and yes I think it would. Getting up around 6am it is going to be dark for a while in the mornings either way, and having more daylight at the end of the day would really feel good.

Then again it is generally so overcast and rainy here during the winter that we can go weeks without actually seeing the sun at all.

Last edited:
What am I thinking about?

Yesterday was another beautiful fall day and I was sitting on the deck watching the sun sparkle on the water. I’m older than all of you and I think it hits me every once in a while I will have only so many falls ahead of me. I want to be more conscious about living in the moment and choosing happiness as much as I can.

So many thoughts. Too many thoughts. Thinking about the ways to give my neediest students the most without depriving anyone else...thoughts of how I cannot control what goes on in my students' homes and how their behavior and learning is negatively affected by these home environments. I have been kept awake too many nights with thoughts...😵

I finally bought a white noise machine so that when I am actually able to sleep, DH doesn't disturb me. After two nights, I have definitely slept much better.
😴

Excellent, @piglet1979!!

My thankful today is for a lovely visit with DS. :hyper: A friend of ours had done some work on his laptop (to fix it running slowly) and I had to return it to him, so we met "halfway" in Newburyport for lunch. I had never been there before, and it was so perfect! - Plenty of places to eat, great little shops and parks and a path by the water for walking around. Neither of us had to drive so far the rest of the day was "lost" and it was just so nice to give him some extra hugs! We're tentatively planning to use that spot again. :goodvibes

And I'll piggyback on Oneanne's thoughts, because I was just lamenting the same thing yesterday as I drove home in the dark from watching the twins. - I hate how early it feels like "nighttime" right now! The only advantage I see to next week's time change is for bus stops in the morning (though I'd solve that problem by starting school later - but that's a whole other thread. :rotfl: )

I'm thankful for my coworkers. Neither one will probably be with me next year, and I've really enjoyed working with them. They make my work life so much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter