November 2020 - Covid Disney was still magical! My first ever trip report (with throwbacks for fun)

ambula603

DIS Veteran
I am learning how to create a trip report - this should be interesting!

I love reading trip reports. They always give me warm fuzzies of nostalgia and/or excitement for an upcoming trip. So I am finally going to try to create my own!

As you can see in my signature, we have been to Disney 4 times as a family (plus once on a Disney Cruise, but I am not including that) so I want to give my latest trip update but with throwbacks from those early trips. You can follow along with me as my girls grow up (and I grow a little wide and husband grows a little balder!) Anytime I post a throwback I will try to change the font to blue!

Let's start with introductions! If by some wild chance you know me in person, please don't mention you read this because then that feels weird, ya know?

Name: Amber (aka the trip planner, report writer)
Occupation: Teacher (virtual now, used to be high school history and special education)
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror
Favorite Restaurant: How could I ever decide!? I love them all but will choose Liberty Tree Tavern because I love the food and history theme
Favorite Snack: corndog nugz
Favorite Resort: Boardwalk Villas
Favorite Character: Stitch
Favorite Movie: Aladdin
Least Fave thing about Disney: larger than average crowds, so I don't love the holiday parties!

And for good measure, here is the first time I went to Disney around 1988, sitting on my mom's shoulders:
With my older sis:

Quality photography, what can I say. I'm behind Pluto's tongue

Sort of like this great photo of THE CASTLE. It's back there, I promise. But at least this random stranger got my fanny pack in the pic.

Missing Mickey's Toontown - so underrated.

Me and my sis and my bangs

We went to Disney all throughout my childhood and well into college

As you can see, I have always had a love for all things Disney!

Attachments

• 29103732_10102047528458869_4073778709344026624_n.jpg
    29103732_10102047528458869_4073778709344026624_n.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
More Intros - this time our girls!

Name: Lillian, age 12
Enjoys: art, music, volleyball and her dog Waffles, cooking/eating, all things DISNEY
Personality: Quiet, likes to observe, LOVES thrill rides and being with her family
Favorite Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite Ride: Rock N Roller coaster
Favorite Restaurant: Sci-Fi
Favorite Snack: Mickey Mouse chocolate-covered cookie
Favorite Resort: Boardwalk
Favorite Movie: Lilo & Stitch
Least Fave thing about Disney: Waiting in lines

October 2018, when she was 9.5

And May 2017 when she was 8

And December 2015 when she was 6.5, her first trip!

Last edited:
Name: Scarlett, age 9
Enjoys: soccer and all sports competition, drawing, playing outdoors on our farm
Personality: Always the life of the party, loves to be with friends, doesn't love scary rides
Favorite Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite Restaurant: Teppan Edo
Favorite Snack: Mickey Bar
Favorite Resort: Wilderness Lodge
Favorite Character: Maleficent
Least Fave thing about Disney: the Tiki Room

And when she was 7:

When she was 6.5:

And her first trip, when she was 4:

Last edited:
Following :cutie: The pics look a good size to me! (I hate when they are too small)

My first poster, you win!! Thank you for answering!

Here is another part of the intro - too many pictures to post earlier so now it is out of order!

Name: Jason
Occupation: Engineer, person who doesn't like to pick favorites
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite Restaurant: Yack and Yeti (he loves to say "if you yack, I'll yeti" too much) or Liberty Tree because he loves Thanksgiving
Favorite Snack: Mickey Bar
Favorite Resort: Old Key West
Favorite Character: Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Movie: Christopher Robin, Aladdin, Little Mermaid (see what I mean about picking favorites)
Least Fave thing about Disney: probably the cost!

He loves Food and Wine and eating his way around the world, so this is a favorite picture of him in his happy place!

He is always up for a fun family costume!

We have many pets (we live on a small "farm" in Kentucky but our most Disney loving is our 2-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who belongs to Lilli. Her name is Waffles and she's now part of our Disney Halloween family costumes each year.
Woody:
Stitch:

Last edited:
Good report so far, I'm in. popcorn::

Yay footballmouse! Glad to have you here!

The formatting is messed up due to photo issues, but the trip report starts now!

About this trip...
We actually had plans to go to Disneyland in October 2020. And yall know how that turned out...so we obviously canceled due to Covid. When WDW opened back up I was eager to go, not caring if we had to wear masks or miss out on parades, I JUST NEEDED DISNEY MAGIC. We were being super vigilant at home and I knew that I was willing to take a risk if we could just get there without an exposure or sickness. So in August we felt comfortable enough to plan to take the girls out of school the week of Thanksgiving. We have been at the end of November before, but this is our first time to go on turkey day. I'll be honest, the reason I was ok with it was because I knew we couldn't see my 93 year old grandmother (who I love dearly) at Thanksgiving dinner. It made it easier to miss normal family events because they weren't happening!

Due to the uncertainty, we kept the trip a secret. Number one - things were so wild in the country and I was feeling a lot of doubt (and maybe shame) that we should even go. I just knew something might happen. As our 10-day window approached we did everything we could to quarantine and not get an exposure. Eventually, I just pulled the girls out of school to keep the risk low. In order to do that, we had to surprise them and explain why they couldn't go to school! THEY WERE PUMPED!

Anytime I post a throwback I will comment in blue!

They came to work with me and it made for a long couple days!

As luck would have it, our district decided to go virtual right before the holiday and so we didn't have to "miss" school before and even after our trip. That greatly helped my nerves and hesitations! The girls did LOTS of assignments to get ahead before we left (the district was only in school 2 days while we were gone, but that adds up!) Lilli is in 6th grade, Scarlett is in 3rd this year.

Time to start packing! I pack each girl's outfits in labeled zip lock bags with the date and park on each bag. Included are everything they need to wear, including hair bows or ears! This makes life so much easier when we are sluggish in the resort each morning!

As the trip approached I researched the board and knew I wanted to try to get a Rise boarding pass. I had never even seen Star Wars! But I knew I wanted to understand the theming so we set out to watch all the movies the week before we left. Talk about an undertaking! But we did it! I think we watched almost all of them, and we finished it with the Star Wars Lego Holiday Special which was adorable. For someone who doesn't always follow the names and places, I prefer the Lego option!

Somehow, we made it to the day before we were to fly out! I honestly cannot believe it because the cases were increasing all around us!

We stayed in Nashville (2 hours from us) so we could fly out early in the morning! It makes for a long first day but this time it went seamlessly!

Fake nails that popped off almost immediately...

Questionable fashun...

Flights went well (LOVE having space in between seats/families!) the early flight meant the airport was EMPTY and security was the fastest ever. Such a change from previous trips.

Look at these lines!

Throwback to 2019 - definitely more people around!

And some babies in 2015 after their first flight to Disney!

Back to our current trip, a nearly empty bus greeted us! We got on the Magical Express and headed to our resort - Boardwalk Villas! I have wanted to stay here for YEARS and while we paid more than normal, we were able to rent DVC points online to score a fantastic room. I cannot say enough about how much I loved BWV.

Dropping off bags at the resort and exploring. Masks felt weird but the weather was perfect (maybe even a little cool so we didn't ever get hot!)

Same shirts a year before, the day before we left for our Disney Cruise in 2019. We stayed a night in Saratoga Springs so we wouldn't miss our boat departure!

Back to the Boardwalk, what a beauty...

I know I want to go back when the Boardwalk is fully opened; but, I did NOT hate the low crowds...

Stay tuned for our first park day!

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
Day one - Epcot!

Jason got our luggage tucked away with bell services and we headed the super SHORT walk over to his favorite park, Epcot! At the International Gateway they were letting guests in about 30 minutes before the official park opening (11 am) so we were just in time. Security and temperature checks were FLAWLESS. Like, I couldn't believe we were walking into WDW and we didn't even slow down for any of it. We went directly to Frozen in the World Showcase and got in the line already forming. It was our first experience wearing masks and waiting in the distanced queues. Honestly, we were fine with both! Especially the queues! Like so many, we typically get fast passes and don't get to really enjoy a good queue. This was one I had never even been through!

I remember feeling a huge sense of RELIEF when we were walking in that line. Just feeling that Disney bubble! I felt like I could breathe, even with the mask on. All of the anxiety and doubts that had led up to this trip were melting away in the Florida sunshine! We talked about our morning and how efficiently everything had worked out and we were quite proud of ourselves!

After Frozen we decided it was time to EAT our way around the world! It was the final week of the Food and Wine Festival and the booths opened up just as we headed that way.

We caught our first cavalcade:

And found a spot on the water to eat our findings. I can't remember what we liked best, but I know we were HUNGRY and we enjoyed everything! Scarlett loves the fish and chips so we for sure shared some of those, otherwise, we hit up the booths.

I tried this nitro cake pop - it was fun but I didn't LOVE all the chocolate, too much for me! Lilli loved it, though!

Quality photography by mom:

But then REAL photography by Disney:

In 2018 we let them play in this fountain on a hot day!

Like we did in 2017!

I didn't buy any Photopass pictures due to the mask but we always find the Disney Visa free photo area and hit that up:

No masks in 2017!

More rides in, we hit my favorite, Living with the Land. I just gork out at this ride! It soothes me :o)

It must have soothed Scarlett, too as she fell asleep in Lilli's lap!
54-jpg.572539

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
More cavalcade action, I really enjoyed these all week and hope they stick around! I don't love a crowded parade when you have to stake out your spot an hour in advance. These are much more my style!

Around 3:30, we received the text that our room was ready! After a long day of traveling (early flight hits hard) we were happy to see our room. I was so excited to see the lobby decorated for Christmas and it did NOT disappoint!

I took some detailed shots because I had a blank tree at home I needed inspiration for. Now we have a "Boardwalk" tree!

I knew of this fun little surprise in the room but didn't tell the girls until we got there!

Our room was in the PERFECT location, literally right off the lobby on the main floor. I was so grateful for that location. Spoiled, really. After being miles away from a bus stop at Saratoga Springs, I felt like we earned this one! (aka we paid more for it...)

We did what we do best in the middle of the day - NAP! Big sis wanted to try out the fun bed and ended up passing out there!

But little sis was fine to "play on her Ipad" aka crash!

I knew our afternoon would go this way so I made a late dinner reservation for Teppan Edo once we came back to consciousness. The timing was perfect (our groceries arrived when we woke up so I stocked the fridge with snacks and breakfasts. I usually get smoothies, muffins, beef jerky, fresh fruit, bottled drinks, etc.)

Scarlett made an outfit change (you will see this often, she is really into her "look" right now) and we enjoyed the Japan pavilion while we waited on our table.

A little back story - Lilli loves hibachi and wanted to eat at our local one for her birthday in April. Covid canceled that. So I made this reservation as a surprise to her! She was THRILLED!

Our food was delicious. Mine (steak) was better than Jason's (chicken) because, duh. But the best part was this Mickey surprise!

And with dinner finished we were ready to walk back over to the resort and call it a night!
img_1916-jpg.572552

In the past, we have ALWAYS done MK on our first day. But because of our mid-morning arrival, plus the late park opening, and of course our proximity to Epcot, we started there. I gotta say - walking off the ME bus and right into your first park was pretty incredible. Felt like no time was wasted! And while the crowds certainly picked up later in the week, this was the perfect first day to ease back into being around people after being isolated for so many months.

A successful day one!

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Following :cutie: The pics look a good size to me! (I hate when they are too small)

I am seeing no pictures in the entire report but for the first post (family childhood photo and Waffles with the Woody costume--nothing else). How strange. . .:magnify:

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. Staying at BWV for the first time in two weeks. Can’t wait.
I was there right after you last year - first week in December. Had a great time .

I am seeing no pictures in the entire report but for the first post (family childhood photo and Waffles with the Woody costume--nothing else). How strange. . .:magnify:

That IS weird! Is anyone else having that problem!? Thanks for TRYING to follow along, I will try to get that fixed so come back soon!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. Staying at BWV for the first time in two weeks. Can’t wait.
I was there right after you last year - first week in December. Had a great time .

I am so jealous you get to go back in 2 weeks! We don't plan to return for another 1.5 years (have some other non-Disney trips in the works) so I will love to see pics of BWV if you share them! I am glad you had a good time last year, as well. I think it will forever be one of our best trips!

I'm not seeing pictures either. Could it be a privacy setting on your photo hosting site? You can tell you have spaces for where the photos should be, just no photos.
Thanks for sharing though!

Reactions: H2E
That IS weird! Is anyone else having that problem!? Thanks for TRYING to follow along, I will try to get that fixed so come back soon!

I am so jealous you get to go back in 2 weeks! We don't plan to return for another 1.5 years (have some other non-Disney trips in the works) so I will love to see pics of BWV if you share them! I am glad you had a good time last year, as well. I think it will forever be one of our best trips!

Last week I could see the pictures - now I don't see any - just a placeholder where they are :confused3

I just updated my first post (pictures of me) so if anyone could confirm if they can see these? I will try to continue to change them. I was trying to post from Google Photos but I guess I can't do that because of the privacy setting. So I am trying to save each picture to my computer and then upload it from there unless there is an easier way?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I just updated my first post (pictures of me) so if anyone could confirm if they can see these? I will try to continue to change them. I was trying to post from Google Photos but I guess I can't do that because of the privacy setting. So I am trying to save each picture to my computer and then upload it from there unless there is an easier way?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I see them again!! :flower1:

I am learning how to create a trip report - this should be interesting!

I love reading trip reports. They always give me warm fuzzies of nostalgia and/or excitement for an upcoming trip. So I am finally going to try to create my own!

As you can see in my signature, we have been to Disney 4 times as a family (plus once on a Disney Cruise, but I am not including that) so I want to give my latest trip update but with throwbacks from those early trips. You can follow along with me as my girls grow up (and I grow a little wide and husband grows a little balder!) Anytime I post a throwback I will try to change the font to blue!

Let's start with introductions! If by some wild chance you know me in person, please don't mention you read this because then that feels weird, ya know?

Name: Amber (aka the trip planner, report writer)
Occupation: Teacher (virtual now, used to be high school history and special education)
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Restaurant: How could I ever decide!? I love them all but will choose Liberty Tree Tavern because I love the food and history theme
Favorite Snack: corndog nugz
Favorite Resort: Boardwalk Villas
Least Fave thing about Disney: larger than average crowds, so I don't love the holiday parties!
View attachment 572446

And for good measure, here is the first time I went to Disney around 1988, sitting on my mom's shoulders:
View attachment 572447
With my older sis:
View attachment 572448

Quality photography, what can I say. I'm behind Pluto's tongue
View attachment 572449

Sort of like this great photo of THE CASTLE. It's back there, I promise. But at least this random stranger got my fanny pack in the pic.
View attachment 572450

Missing Mickey's Toontown - so underrated.
View attachment 572451

Me and my sis and my bangs
View attachment 572452

We went to Disney all throughout my childhood and well into college
View attachment 572453

View attachment 572454

As you can see, I have always had a love for all things Disney!
Great pictures

Piglet - can you see them ALL or just the first 2 groups? Sorry to be a pain I just don't want to take the time to reload if it's unnecessary!

Piglet - can you see them ALL or just the first 2 groups? Sorry to be a pain I just don't want to take the time to reload if it's unnecessary!

I'm sorry - you are right - I just see the first 2 groups - the next post full are still blank

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter