Not doing DDP mainly because I hate leaving large tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected this thread is getting heated and I'll be bowing out after this post, but I find the fact that some people are saying that it isn't a "legal requirement" absolutely astonishing.

As for the argument that employers should pay the full wage for servers, that just isn't how things work in the US. In theory, I agree with this point, but we can't expect the US to just change the way they do things on our account. The fact remains that servers are paid ridiculously low wages and they rely on tips to feed their kids. Besides, do you think the UK should do things to suit visitors to our country? When in Rome....

Each person has to make their own decisions about tipping, however, I would much rather do what is customary and reasonable than risk someone spitting in my food later :rotfl2:. You need to remember that all of your ADRs are linked to you, not just the one where you didn't tip! Buffets warrant lower tips as you serve yourself, but if you are eating at a table service restaurant and receive appropriate service, you should do what is expected.

Again, the idea that servers earn $100k a year is completely ridiculous in my opinion. As many of you know my DW is American and I lived there for 5 years. We have friends in the service industry and 2 that work as CMs. 2 work at WDW and another works at Universal and the pay is TERRIBLE! They do it for the love of it and prestige of working for them, not for the money. A few of the servers in the high end restaurants who are exceptional, may get close to that figure, but it's very rare.

I would rather be morally appropriate than simply "law abiding" and I'd rather rest easily knowing that my food hasn't been tampered with because I didn't tip appropriately. :rotfl:

I'm curious.... What do you do when it is time to pay your bill? How does that go down...? How do you inform your server they are not getting a tip? Who do you speak with to get the automatic 18% removed....?

Then what happens....?

Are people staring at you at this point?

Just out of interest what do people tip at buffets? I have always just gone with the 18% indicated (once did 25% at Chef Mickeys on Xmas Eve because the poor guy was RUNNING around to keep up with all his tables). I'd be particularly interested to hear from US Disney guests.

As for the running debate. Can we stop now?

To be fair to the poster, it isn't the law to tip, and all he is basically saying is that you won't be arrested for not tipping. Whether you tip or not is up to you. Morally however, it is a different kettle of fish. You won't change his mind on his reasoning any more than he to those who tip.

We tip and usually the 20% because it makes it easier for me to work out.

That said it drives me bats when I see someone complain about shocking service from their server and they walk out of the restaurant with a bad taste in their mouth, but still left a fairly hefty tip

I will tip for good service the "expected amount" I will tip more for exceptional service, however I will also lower and not tip at all if the service is terrible. I may or may not speak to management regarding the situation depending on the severity of the situation. I expect a certain level of service for my tip. If you can't produce that then you are in the wrong job.

We only eat a few table service meals onsite because I don't see the value in most of them. The food is of the same standard as many offsite places for almost triple the price in some cases. So unless I am getting extra things (characters, extreme theming) I would rather save my money by eating off site and therefore allowing me to come on holiday again.

Kirsten

Just to be clear my points were simply to state that;

-It is not a legal requirement

-Tipping should be decided as a party of the table, not expected and automatically added onto the bill. (Waiters expect it, and this is what annoys me. If you have done a good job, I am more than happy to tip. My issue is with the expectation that just because you brought a plate and a drink you want a tip.) An expectation is not appreciated by the waiter, but if you 'surprise' them in a sense with a tip they will appreciate it and realise that delivering a high service warrants a tip.

-People need to be aware that you don't have to tip anything. It is what most people do. It does not mean you must. People must have a choice and not be bullied into it.

-As for factoring a tip into the budget of the holiday, who is the US way of life to tell someone how to budget their money. You are getting it wrong. If a person wants to tip, they will. Not they must budget for tip money.

I am not a troll, and this isn't getting heated at all. Its a discussion, and everyone has their points. I'm not taking it on a personal level with anyone here.

As for paying my bill, if I think a tip is justified I will tip. If I dont, but it is automatically added I deduct the tip from the bill (note: people being bullied into tipping, with potential to be embarrassed infront of other diners) and enclose the money. I couldn't care what people think around the table - people I will never see again. As for the company, they cannot say anything to me. I paid for what I ate and drunk and that is that.

If you think about it, MrRomance made a comment regarding having to tip otherwise to be worried about having the food spat in by a waiter. My question to you is, are you really tipping because you want to then? Or are you tipping because you are being bullied into thinking if you don't your food will be tampered with.

Just out of interest what do people tip at buffets? I have always just gone with the 18% indicated (once did 25% at Chef Mickeys on Xmas Eve because the poor guy was RUNNING around to keep up with all his tables). I'd be particularly interested to hear from US Disney guests.

For me, it depends on the buffet. If I pay first (like Golden Corral) I will usually leave a $1 per person and maybe even more if the server was very good. At WDW where you pay your bill after you eat, I usually tip the standard 18%. The service is usually more attentive at WDW restaurants and I figure they do a lot of work clearing dishes and refilling drinks.

This is one of those things even US people get confused over. Outside of Disney some buffets don't even require tips, and ones that do, only small ones.

We've got a local pizza place costs about $7 for the buffet including your drink. You pay first, then eat. No tip required. The most expensive buffet near me is only about $15 - $20 and that's only on seafood night and because it is a tourist spot. There I'd pay a couple bucks for me maybe up to 5 for a family of 4.

Disney's prices all around are so ridiculously high in comparison with typical American restaurant prices, it makes it hard to figure out tips. Outside of Disney typical buffet prices are 8 to 12 dollars. I'm not talking NY, I'm talking average american city. While Disney buffets are like $30.

I'd say 10% for a buffet would be good if all they do is bring your drinks and clear your food. I definitely think 18% is too high.

If someone just does minimal service brings you a drink or food but doesn't wait on you, 1 to 2 dollars. If they semi wait on you, bring you refills, clear plates at end, 2 to 3 dollars, box up ordered food to go when you call in an order, 2 to 3 dollars per whole order not per number of meals ordered, actually waits on you, drinks, refills, napkins, plates, etc 15%, if you really keep them hopping or your kids make a big mess to clean up, 20%.

Something else I just thought of, I'm not sure if the characters at character meals are paid from tips or not. If they are, then it would make more sense to charge the 18% for their services.

To be honest we tip around 20 percent but we round as we tend to like to leave notes not exact change.

I do have one issue with tipping though and it is something I have only experienced at Disney. I do think some servers (not all and probably not even a majority) need to remember that tips although expected are a gratuity and as such should be earned not just expected. We have come across some very entitled servers who seem to think they should get a tip for shoddy or even rude service. This I hate and will reduce the tip if a server is absent or rude or both.

We had dinner at Ohana and the server was awful. My husband actually had to go find him so we could order drinks and the adult beverages arrived after desert. I still would have tipped him if he hasn't come over no less than three times to tell me tip wasn't included with DDP and that I had to tip him 18 percent. He even wrote it in capital letters on the bill. I think he got $10 in the end but would have got three times that if he hasn't been rude.

Ok guys let not get personal please :goodvibes and try to keep on the original topic regarding the DDP and tips :thumbsup2

I will just add that the legal position in the US for servers in tipped positions is that they have a legally set lower minimum wage than all other workers because US traditions are such that they will receive tips that make up those differences and they are taxed on expected earnings including tips.

We had dinner at Ohana and the server was awful. My husband actually had to go find him so we could order drinks and the adult beverages arrived after desert. I still would have tipped him if he hasn't come over no less than three times to tell me tip wasn't included with DDP and that I had to tip him 18 percent. He even wrote it in capital letters on the bill. I think he got $10 in the end but would have got three times that if he hasn't been rude.

I would've tipped nothing and talked to the manager in that case.

Wish I had at Boma but we'd waited so long anyway that we just wanted out of there. Also it was our first time really and Jack hates to make a fuss.

I'd also maybe have written back in capitals "you have to earn your tips" or something else equally petty!

Ok guys let not get personal please :goodvibes and try to keep on the original topic regarding the DDP and tips :thumbsup2

I will just add that the legal position in the US for servers in tipped positions is that they have a legally set lower minimum wage than all other workers because US traditions are such that they will receive tips that make up those differences and they are taxed on expected earnings including tips.

Yes this is correct, I think the thing people like myself have a problem with is that even if they actually paid the company to be allowed to serve let alone be paid no matter how little, the fact remains they end up with far too much money for doing a low skillled job compared to others around them working for the same comapny. The fact that they end up getting paid far more than the trained guy who cooks the food is a bad joke. It takes little working out that one of the more expensive single credit places a meal can run to $50 per person, a sum far higher than what the person has actually paid or what the person would be prepared to pay for the food if they did not have a dining plan.
The server is waiting on maybe 5 tables of 4 people per hour so can be turning over the thick end of $1000 dollars of food per hour at the actual price a tip is suggested on even though most people would not have ordered this value of food had they not been on a plan or in many cases be eating somewhere cheaper.

To then suggest that the low skilled server is then worth a tip of $180 per hour is a bad joke considering the guy who creates the food is on less than a tenth of this amount.

Why should a disney server dishing out food feel they are worth so many more times the value of a server at a restraunt elsewhere like an ihop just because disney chooses to over inflate the price of the food does not mean the server is also somehow deserving of an over inflated tip to match just because the maths of percentage work along side it.

Just out of interest what do people tip at buffets?

10% for very basic service, 15%-18% for anything else (it's usually the latter at WDW).

That said it drives me bats when I see someone complain about shocking service from their server and they walk out of the restaurant with a bad taste in their mouth, but still left a fairly hefty tip.

Me too, I've never understood this. :confused3

I'd also maybe have written back in capitals "you have to earn your tips" or something else equally petty!

:rotfl: It really bugs me when servers circle/underline the tip part of the receipt, or write 'TIP NOT INCLUDED' across it. I always reduce the tip when this is done as I find it offensive. Next time this happens, I'm going to actually write something back so they know that I fully understand the custom and that their own petty behaviour has cost them a decent tip.

I was trying to stay out of this debate but I can't help but express my surprise at the sheer number of people who have been told by servers that they are expected to tip and/or how much of a tip to leave. I can honestly say that in 10 trips to Florida and 1 to Las Vegas, I have never been 'reminded' by a server that I should be leaving a tip. Maybe I look like I'm a good tipper ;)

I was trying to stay out of this debate but I can't help but express my surprise at the sheer number of people who have been told by servers that they are expected to tip and/or how much of a tip to leave. I can honestly say that in 10 trips to Florida and 1 to Las Vegas, I have never been 'reminded' by a server that I should be leaving a tip. Maybe I look like I'm a good tipper ;)

It happens to us at least once or twice per trip- one time, we left a reduced (cash) tip when the server literally scrawled across the whole receipt and we found out later that she'd charged 20% to our room account! There was no problem in removing it but it was all a bit awkward. It was a shame as we'd actually had a great meal with decent enough service.

Really surprises me Joh, we have had it numerous times, anything from circling the "tip is not included" to writing on comments.
I agree with others it is very annoying and I tend to lower tip if they do it. I once wrote on "you were getting $20 until you asked, here is $5."
I wish they would change the wording on menus, I would prefer them to say something like "Service charge is not included in our menu prices. please pay your server an appropriate amount depending on the level of service you receive."

A tip in the US is nothing like a tip in the UK, here its a bonus ontop of their wage in the US its the majority of their wage, menu prices include the food, preparation and profit for the owner, they do not include the wait service, that is paid by the diner direct.
They could easily include it in the menu price but 2 things would happen immediately, 1) Prices rise more than 20% to cover service charge, increased tax payments and extra paperwork. 2) Drastic decrease in quality of service.
You might not like the current system, many American don't, but for the consumer it is the better option IMO.

I'm not getting into the debate, and am going to keep my personal tipping experiences to myself....actually it's been that long since our last trip I can't remember what we tipped ;) Anyway, I'm glad after reading the original post that we can't actually afford Disney onsite where you are offered "free" dining :goodvibes but good to know if we are ever in that position. We eat mainly offsite, apart from 1 trip to Rainforest and then we choose cheapest menu items as we mainly go for the experience :goodvibes

I too have been reminded many times regarding the tip, we generally leave around 20% depending on service. We know what to expect so calculate the tips into our budget.
There have been a few occasions where i'd wish I had left a smaller amount.
Coral reef- we were leaving and the server blocked us getting out of the table to check the tip. So wished i'd taken some $ back.
WCC- we left a good tip and money for drinks but found out later the server had also charged our room for the drinks and tip. Luckily we had this taken off as we'd kept the receipts.

I keep saying I'll be more prepared and tip on the service but we never do. :rotfl:

I too have been reminded many times regarding the tip, we generally leave around 20% depending on service. We know what to expect so calculate the tips into our budget.
There have been a few occasions where i'd wish I had left a smaller amount.
Coral reef- we were leaving and the server blocked us getting out of the table to check the tip. So wished i'd taken some $ back.
WCC- we left a good tip and money for drinks but found out later the server had also charged our room for the drinks and tip. Luckily we had this taken off as we'd kept the receipts.

I keep saying I'll be more prepared and tip on the service but we never do. :rotfl:

It seems so crazy to me for servers to be demanding tips, especially physically blocking someone. I've never had it happen to me ever, maybe it's profiling which just seems really wrong. I'm so sorry for all of you that this has happened to. It's very rude. I'd definitely leave them nothing if they did this to me. I'd like to see someone try to physically block me. I'd give them a tip alright, a pepper spray tip.

It's one thing to politely remind someone not familiar with our customs that it is customary to leave a tip if service is satisfactory, a tip of their choosing. It is a completely different thing to demand it and try to trick someone into giving you the max amount and make them think they have no choice but to pay that. It's shameful. I do think this is a tourist area mentality. I've never heard of foreigners experiencing this anywhere near where I live.

To then suggest that the low skilled server is then worth a tip of $180 per hour is a bad joke considering the guy who creates the food is on less than a tenth of this amount.
Where in the heck are you digging up a number like $180 per hour in tips for servers? That's completely ridiculous. They can't make nearly that much per hour.

• First of all, they can only serve a limited number of tables at a time, probably only 5. So, to make $180 per hour each table would have to generate a minimum of $36 per table per hour in tips or $200 in sales.
  • Secondly, people don't just choke down their food at TS restaurants and then bolt out the door. They take at least an hour and at the signature restaurants closer to two hours. So, even if a table spends $200, it's not likely to be in just one short hour.
  • Thirdly, the tables are not always completely full for the server's entire shift. There is turn-over time between guests where no tips are being earned.
  • Next, the servers who open a restaurant are responsible for set-up and those who close a restaurant are responsible for clean-up which can take about 30-45 minutes. There are no guests tipping during that time.
  • Lastly, the servers often need to "tip out" a percentage of their sales the other people in the restaurant: hosts, bus boys, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers, etc. So, they don't even keep their entire tip.
I also want to touch on your opinion that servers at WDW are "low skilled". They are not and will not last long at a place like WDW if there are not very good at what they do. No, they did not attend school to learn how to be a server but I would suspect that many of the cooks/chefs have not attended culinary school either. Cooking is one of the skills one can learn "on the job" as a line cook and then work your way up through the ranks without needing to attend a culinary school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter