Non-park trip to central Florida... ideas for a little on property fun.

TandLMommy28

DIS Veteran
I haven't posted here in FOREVER. Grad school tied up all my free time and all my money so I was not planning any trips.

I'm finishing my Master's degree! Celebrate!
Hubby and I are headed to central Florida for my graduation (listen, I didn't choose a college near Orlando, my employer did, but I am NOT complaining, haha).
We are traveling without kids and plan to do some state parks, kayaking, etc. But if I do ONE THING to celebrate my graduation, I want to see the fireworks at MK.

What is the best way to do that these days without going in the parks? Restaurants to try to get a reservation for to put me in a good place or any other suggestions? We just aren't really up for a park day this trip. It's not our focus.

I will say it's not an easy thing to do these days as parking lots are not allowing access to guests not staying at a resort or, without a dining reservation.

You may be on the right track trying to secure a dining reservation for a time that overlaps with the fireworks. Park hours are posted approx. 71 days before the date and ADRs can be booked 60 days in advance.

Hope that helps even a little bit.

As far as restaurants, any of the monorail resorts will put you in a good spot, but for a celebratory meal, California Grill and Narcoossee's are both great options with fireworks views.

Otherwise, you could dine elsewhere in the GF or Poly before fireworks, then snag a spot at the beach or marina to watch the show.

Congrats on your graduation and enjoy!

I snagged a reservation at Kona for the evening we want to do this. I don't love Kona but it's worth it to get over there to see the fireworks. My graduation is in four weeks. I didn't have time to think about it until now, I've been so busy writing my thesis. So I had to take whatever I could get.

Last edited:
I snagged a reservation at Kona for the evening we want to do this. I don't love Kona but it's worth it to get over there to see the fireworks.
Depending on when your reservation is, you could also do Enchanted Rose or Trader Sam's for a before or after dinner drink. My husband and I did a resort-only trip a few months ago and stayed at the Poly. We didn't miss the parks at all.

Getting the reservation at Kona is also good so you won’t have to pay $25 to park at TTC or waste a ton of time parking at Disney Springs and bussing back and forth.

You can use all the transportation. If you have the time you really could make a whole afternoon/evening out of visiting around the MK resorts.

Some options:

Monorail over to Contemporary for fireworks viewing. There’s a smallish deck out on Floor 4 with about a dozen chairs (the view is over Space Mtn), and also an open air staircase where each floor has a platform to get a similar view.

Take the Poly resort boat over to Grand Floridian to visit Enchanted Rose Lounge. Or you can try to time the ferry to watch fireworks from that. There’s the beach at Poly as well to get a nice view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter