Non-allergic Dog??

riu girl

DIS Veteran
DD has been asking for years to have a dog and I think the time has finally come. The kids are both allergic to cats and once several years ago DD became ill after visiting friends with a dog. She has been around various types of dogs since then and has been fine.

I am thinking that first I should find out what types of dogs are the least allergic and then find a breeder in our area that has this type of dog and then spend some time with the breeders dogs to find out if the kids react or not? And if the kids are fine, then buy a dog from the breeder.

Does this make sense or is there a medical test the kids can take to find out whether or not they are allergic to dogs in general? IF not, can someone reccommend what types of dogs would be the least allergic.

Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated.

Thank you

A lot of dogs are touted now as hypo-allergenic but you still have to spend time with the dog to see if even the dander is an issue. Even the most hypo-allergenic dogs have some dander which can also cause allergies. Not just dog hair is an issue anymore.

My aunt has a maltese that is hypo-allergenic butI still have massive allergies when I visit her. I asked my allergist and she told me that i was reacting to the dander and dried saliva the dog has on its coat.

But everyone's different. Visit with an allergist and see what they say.

I have been severely allergic to cats & dogs all my life. Last year, I visited an allergist and I began taking allergy shots. I would swear by them now. Within a short time (and this varies greatly from person to person), my allergies, not only to dogs and cats, but to stuff like pollen, hayseed, dust, etc.) began to disappear noticabely. I used to sneeze, and sniffle all the time, but now am so much better. In fact, we now have 4 cats and a puppy and I'm doing great.

We have a minature chihuahuah and as long as we keep him bathed, my allergies are so much better off.

I have been severely allergic to cats & dogs all my life. Last year, I visited an allergist and I began taking allergy shots. I would swear by them now. Within a short time (and this varies greatly from person to person), my allergies, not only to dogs and cats, but to stuff like pollen, hayseed, dust, etc.) began to disappear noticabely. I used to sneeze, and sniffle all the time, but now am so much better. In fact, we now have 4 cats and a puppy and I'm doing great.

We have a minature chihuahuah and as long as we keep him bathed, my allergies are so much better off.
I totally agree!! My allergist has been my savior! I was constantly sick and was always on antibiotics until I saw an allergist, got tested and began treatment with allergy shots twice a week. In the last year and a half I have only been sick with cold-like symptoms twice. My dog and cat allergies are better but those may never be perfect but I can live with better! I'm used to my cats, it's dogs that really kill me.

Within my family we all tend to have some sort of allergy problem. Myself and my DS have rather severe allergies and my DH as well as my DD also suffer from time to time. We live in the most highly allergic place on the planet...Atlanta, GA.

I have 2 suggestions for dogs. We have had in the past a Bischon Frise (spelling?). They are adorable white fluff balls and they shed next to none. Our Alex lived to be 14 y.o. and he was fun and playful up until his death. They are really expensive to purchase as their grooming cost are rather pricey too.

We currently have gotten a ****-a-poo. A cross of cocker spaniel and poodle. The cutest and smartest dog ever. Our dog is Mickey and we have had him for 2 years now. He does shed a bit but very little. The low dander and shedding is from the poodle. Keep him brushed and groomed and he will shed almost none at all. He is very sweet and has a great disposition. When I was young we always had these dogs and they were just thought of as mutts. Now they are like designer dogs because of their low allergenic tendencies as well as their great personalities. They can be rather pricey to groom as well as the initial cost. But so worth it.
Here is a picture of Mickey...yes, my kiddos named him after the mouse. :lmao:
AtHomeAug2006_106.jpg

AtHomeAug2006_036.jpg

Good luck!
Darlene

We have a poodle! She is great! I have a severe allergy to cats. She doesn't shed at all, but needs a haircut every 10 weeks or so. I get her a puppy cut, not the fancy poodle cut.

The ones that I have heard of that are supposed to be the least allergenic are a new breed. One is a labradoodle (yes...a labrador and a standard poodle) and the other is a goldendoodle. A lady I work with has two labradoodles...I haven't asked her about allergies...but these dogs are also known for little to no shedding. She said that they don't shed. :confused3 (Well, hers were imported from Australia!! :lmao: ) But, you can find them in the US, too.

My DD 10 is/was terribly allergic to lots of things. She's been getting shots for 4+ years now and got the all clear from the allergist to get a dog. We have a soft coated wheaten terrier and he's now 5 months old. So far no problems!

He is now 22 pounds but will probably end up at 38-40 pounds. He won't be a tiny little thing and that's exactly what we wanted. Just do your research on the cost though-they can be expensive.

FYI, I have heard that it's not only the dander that causes reactions, it's the saliva and also the urine. Yep-yuck! We spent lots of time (weekly) with a wheaten for about 6 months before we started to look for one of our own. When we found a breeder, she let us come and spend time with the mom and puppies to make sure there would be no problems.

Best of luck!

Within my family we all tend to have some sort of allergy problem. Myself and my DS have rather severe allergies and my DH as well as my DD also suffer from time to time. We live in the most highly allergic place on the planet...Atlanta, GA.

I have 2 suggestions for dogs. We have had in the past a Bischon Frise (spelling?). They are adorable white fluff balls and they shed next to none. Our Alex lived to be 14 y.o. and he was fun and playful up until his death. They are really expensive to purchase as their grooming cost are rather pricey too.

We currently have gotten a ****-a-poo. A cross of cocker spaniel and poodle. The cutest and smartest dog ever. Our dog is Mickey and we have had him for 2 years now. He does shed a bit but very little. The low dander and shedding is from the poodle. Keep him brushed and groomed and he will shed almost none at all. He is very sweet and has a great disposition. When I was young we always had these dogs and they were just thought of as mutts. Now they are like designer dogs because of their low allergenic tendencies as well as their great personalities. They can be rather pricey to groom as well as the initial cost. But so worth it.
Here is a picture of Mickey...yes, my kiddos named him after the mouse. :lmao:
AtHomeAug2006_106.jpg

AtHomeAug2006_036.jpg

Good luck!
Darlene

We have a cockapoo also, doesn't shed at all. He's 5 months now, looks exactly like this doggie.

We have a 10 month old Labradoodle. No problems with either kids' allergies. My boys are 9 & 10 and the dog is fabulous with them.

My DD 10 is/was terribly allergic to lots of things. She's been getting shots for 4+ years now and got the all clear from the allergist to get a dog. We have a soft coated wheaten terrier and he's now 5 months old. So far no problems!

He is now 22 pounds but will probably end up at 38-40 pounds. He won't be a tiny little thing and that's exactly what we wanted. Just do your research on the cost though-they can be expensive.

FYI, I have heard that it's not only the dander that causes reactions, it's the saliva and also the urine. Yep-yuck! We spent lots of time (weekly) with a wheaten for about 6 months before we started to look for one of our own. When we found a breeder, she let us come and spend time with the mom and puppies to make sure there would be no problems.

Best of luck!

Years ago my mom and sister showed and bred Wheaten Terriers, they are a breed that doesn't shed so they can be good for those with allergies. Their coat does require a fair bit of maintenance, brushing and such and they are terriers so they have lots of energy. I would encourage you to find a reputable breeder, they would most likely have no problem with you spending time with the dog before buying.

Best of luck!

Our allergist recommended a wheaten, poodle, or bichon. The trouble with the "oodle" mixed breeds is that you're not sure which part of the poodle you're getting. My son (who is the allergic one) is dying to get a bich-poo. We're not ready for a dog yet.

We have what we jokingly call a "bichon-kangapoo". He's part bichon and part toy poodle, and he thinks he's a kangaroo! He is the cutest thing on 4 legs, great with kids, very lovable, and sheds less than *I* do!!! Many folks with allergies have been around him with no problems.

We do have him bathed and groomed monthly, but like another poster said, we keep him in a puppy cut, not the fancier bichon or poodle style.

I am highly allergic to almost everything environmental. When tested, the only circle that wasn't completely over the rings with red was the corn smut ring. I am severely allergic to both dogs and cats. That being said . . . I have 2 cats and a dog. I do get allergy shots once a week. I don't pet the cats without washing my hands immediately after and they can't lay on me at all. I can't have them in my bedroom at all or I can't sleep due to sneezing and itchy throat.

The only reason that I haven't gotten rid of them is because cats don't do well with change and I fear they would die if I got rid of them.

My dog on the other hand is non-shedding and I have no problems whatsoever with her. However, my mom and dad have 2 chocolate labs and a collie and if I am even in there house for 5 minutes I am an allergenic-train-wreck.

My dog is a shih-tzu and she is wonderful. Love her to pieces and would like to get another.

Good luck!

What ever dog you choose please don't go to a pet store and pay 1000's of dollars for a "Designer dog" That are nothing more than regular mixed breed dogs..
Visit your local humane society and you will find a kennel full of these Wonderful Mixed Breed Dogs.. You can also search for a breed rescue in your area for a pure breed dog..
Deb
P.S.
Yes, Haley is a rescue too!

There are very few breeds of dog that do not shed their coat. The Miniature Schnauzer is one of these rare nonshedders. This feature makes it an ideal pet for people with allergies and also gives it different dietary requirement for hair production than those breeds that are shedders.

christmas_pics_009.jpg

kids_dec_3_05_031.jpg

:dogdance:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet -- Yorkshire terriers are one of the best breeds out there for people with allergies. Unlike most dogs, Yorkies do not have fur. They have hair. There's a HUGE difference. If you aren't allergic to human hair it's very unlikely you will be allergic to Yorkie hair.

The hair\fur difference is why Yorkies tend to have very long coats that brush the ground. Consider a normal dog, let's say a Yellow Lab, in comparison. The Lab's fur grows to a certain point and then stops. It doesn't keep growing and growing and growing -- you could own this Lab for ten or twelve years and never once cut or shorten its fur, yet the fur remains the same length. Now think about human hair. What would happen if YOU didn't get your hair cut every once in a while? In those same ten to twelve years you'd be Rapunzel or at least resemble a Yeti. This is because HAIR does not stop growing (provided the follicle is normal and undamaged; obviously some people have thinning hair or go bald in mid-life, but you know what I mean -- in a general sense, most people's hair continues to grow and needs to be trimmed frequently). Hair is something entirely different than fur, with different properties and different follicles and different chemical composition than fur.

The downside to this is that Yorkies do need to be groomed every couple of months because their hair, just like yours, does not ever stop growing. If you never clipped it, eventually it would brush the floor and then it would keep on growing until your poor dog has a two-foot train of hair dragging behind her.

Edited to add this: It's worth noting that Yorkies don't shed their coats either, for the same reason you don't have clumps of hair falling out of your head every spring. Some people are afraid to consider a Yorkie because they've heard of how much grooming is required, but to be honest, that's BS. All you need to do is keep your Yorkie's coat trimmed reasonably short (this is called "a puppy cut") you don't ever need to comb it out. I'm physically disabled and on most days I can barely grip a brush to comb my own hair out; I'd never be able to handle spending hours every week brushing my Sky's coat free of tangles, even if she were willing to sit still and let me do it, which she isn't. I generally allow her hair to grow until she resembles a Swiffer duster and her "bangs" are so long her vision is obscured, and then I bring her to the groomer's and have her clipped into a smooth puppy cut. It takes roughly three to four months for her coat to grow back to the point where she needs another grooming, so I'd guesstimate I visit the groomer about three times a year on average. I pay $50 plus a $10 tip each time, but I live in a high-rent district and my groomer is a top-notch professional whose clientele are mostly prize-winning show dogs. I could easily take Sky down the road to PetCo and have them give her the exact same puppy cut for twenty bucks.

Yorkies with short coats just aren't high-maintenance in the grooming department. Trust me on this; my other dog is a Samoyed, whose picture is in the OED next to the definition for "shedding". I know plenty about time-consuming and exasperating dog-coat maintenance and Sky definitely isn't it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter