• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Passport, No problem

Unless something goes wrong and you need to cut your cruise short. Then, you'll have to get temporary documents from the embassy or consulate, which can be stressful and expensive.

You also need a passport if you plan to visit a country other than the one your ship has docked in. For example, if you want to take the train from Alaska back into Canada.

It's not a problem on a closed-loop sailing from the States. But do for example a Western Caribbean Itinerary on the Fantasy, hop off the ship in Falmouth Jamaica, head over to Dunn's River Falls for an excursion, slip, fall, hit your head, and wind up in a hospital for a couple of days, you are going to need that passport to make life a whole lot easier. As my mother taught me years ago growing up, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

The baffling thing about passports on cruises is many people champion them, but leave them in the safe when actually going outside in the ports of call. What good does that do?

Reactions: JWG
The baffling thing about passports on cruises is many people champion them, but leave them in the safe when actually going outside in the ports of call. What good does that do?
If you're injured or otherwise can't complete the cruise, someone else from your traveling party might be able to retrieve your passport for you. Or, if you call the ship, then a cast member might be able to help.

I always carry my passport, though. I understand why people leave them behind, but I guess I'm just used to needing it for international travel and I don't see why a cruise is any different. In most countries, you're expected to present your passport as proof of ID. I've needed mine to prove that rail passes were legitimate, to prove that I had a visa, and for other reasons. Not having it is like not having your license/ID card in the US.

I travel solo, so it's not like I have someone to retrieve it for me, so I always take it with me unless I am at a US port and have no plans to go outside the country. I took it with me in Skagway, even though the train was not running to Canada at that time, just in case. But California/West Coast ports - it's probably staying in the room. I do always have a photo on my phone at the very least.

After getting hurt in Italy and ending up in the hospital, I prepare for the worst case scenarios.

Yes, in some cases you can cruise without a Passport. I have a Passport, and not sure why I wouldn't use it, it makes things so much easier.

Last year I sailed to Cozumel and visited the island without a passport. It was allowable because it was a closed circuit cruise, meaning it started and finished at the same port. I needed my photo ID and birth certificate. Some people have issues if it’s not an ‘official’ birth certificate coming from the county, like they try to use what the hospital issued them 35 years ago.

I let my passport lapse and had already sent the application when my family decided to take this cruise. My SIL was so worried for me the whole time leading up to it, lol. She kept sending info and saying I might not be able to get off the ship. After reading up on current experiences, I was not worried about it and it turned out fine.

I travel solo, so it's not like I have someone to retrieve it for me, so I always take it with me unless I am at a US port and have no plans to go outside the country. I took it with me in Skagway, even though the train was not running to Canada at that time, just in case. But California/West Coast ports - it's probably staying in the room. I do always have a photo on my phone at the very least.

After getting hurt in Italy and ending up in the hospital, I prepare for the worst case scenarios.
Just so you know, on Disney cruise line, if the ship is getting ready to leave and you aren’t on it, a CM will open your room safe, retrieve your passport, and deliver it to the ship’s representative on the dock to hold for you. So if you ever did want to leave your passport on the ship know that they do have a way to get it to you.

We have not missed the ship but came close in Falmouth. We were on a disney excursion that ran super late and everyone got off the bus but we got separated from the group because after the long bus ride my young son had a potty emergency and ran off to the bathroom he saw although we yelled at him to stop and wait until we were on the ship. When he left the restroom the port area was empty with everything closed and we started running back to the ship alone and were really scared because we could hear a ships horn going. But it turned out it was the other ship in port that was pulling away and the Fantasy was still there. Never going to sail without a passport after that!

US citizens traveling on a cruise without a passport or passport card but with other specified documents may work on closed loop cruises (start and end at the same US port) in most of the Caribbean. Check your destinations carefully, however. Travel through the Panama Canal requires a passport. I believe Bonaire also requires a passport ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter