NO MORE Dining Plan for us..my reasons

y2khardtop

Mouseketeer
why it simply doesn't make sense

1. 25% for expensive (considering tip and lack of appetizer).

2. The only restaurant that are expensive enough to warrant it (Tutti, French Restaurant, etc) have ridiculously poor portion sizes, and are overpriced to begin with. **As a bonus reason, the servers at both were VERY pushy about tips...I am tipping in cash, and they got very irritated when I marked out the tip line on the receipt.

3. Flexibility. Forcing desserts instead of Appetizers is bad for us. I could stand losing one of them at the same price, but they should let you choose one or the other.

4. Snacks. You can no longer use snacks for bags of pretzels/mickey goldfish etc....you can only get single serving sizes, not the larger sizes you might take home if you have extra snacks.

We are at Boardwalk now, and are using it this trip, but I'll never do it again. Disney Greed is really driving me away.

I see your point. Those are some reasons that I have not done DDP ever before. I would rather choose what to order, and what not. We rarely order desserts, and sometimes at CS I get a kids' meal (most portion sizes are too much, especially in Florida heat), and sometimes at table service my DS orders an adult steak (he has food allergies, so many kids meals are not good for him).

I'd dislike spending my vacation trying to "maximize" the value - just eat when we want and where we want. I also really dislike it when the waiter/waitress immediately asks if we're on the dining plan. It is just annoying.

Many places we like to eat aren't on it - like we like sushi and go to Kimono's at the Swan/Dolphin a lot.

I honestly think Disney should do away with it. It's confusing, and I do think that it has taken away from some of the quality. But that isn't going to happen I'm sure - now I can see how some folks that have gotten it for free (especially if they're staying at a value resort) have seen the benefit of it.

why it simply doesn't make sense

1. 25% for expensive (considering tip and lack of appetizer).
At least. I figure it's more like 28-30% more expensive.

**As a bonus reason, the servers at both were VERY pushy about tips...I am tipping in cash, and they got very irritated when I marked out the tip line on the receipt.
That's disappointing, or stupid on their part. Did you tell them you were going to tip in cash? Or did they think they were going to get stiffed?

Interesting that they didn't want you to tip in cash. Maybe folks need to stop using a credit card at check-in so there is no choice! You can't put it on your key if there is no CC conected to it. Pretty dumb on the server's part, because I would be inclined to limit the tip for that kind of attitude.

We will not be doing the dining plan again either. It just is getting too expensive. I like doing the signature restaurants, but I almost never have dessert. I do like an occational appetizer though. The dining plan no longer fits our style. I will say the one good thing about it is what our DS noted when they were there with us and the grandkids over Thanksgiving. It was CONVENIENT to not have to carry cash all the time, and also to explain to the kids that they could have ONE snack, because that's what was paid for. They loved it, but also agreed that it was probably more expensive for them that way. They would NEVER have eaten at a signature with the kids if they didn't have the DDP.

We had DDP for the first part of our trip at SSR and when we moved to BWV we told them to take it off, they had aready charged it through. We told the CM that we were unhappy with the changes too and she told us many are complaining. I was also disappointed in the DDE card this trip. They are now taking the 20% off the top and then adding 18% automatically to your bill. We were unaware of the change our first day and tipped her twice since DH was not expecting and didn't notice the 18% already added in. The next night the CM told us they hate it since Disney is taking the money and keeping it until their next pay period before it's given to the waiter. Not Nice Disney!! Greed will hurt you in the end. :sad2:

In its current state, add us to the "not going to use the plan" list. Here are our reasons:

1. The tip deal... don't like it.
2. Last year we ended up not using a bunch of snack and TS meals = wasted money :headache:
3. Now that we are in DVC, we will save a few pennies by eating in the rooms.
4. My oldest son is autistic so his tastes are particular, and don't always comply with the plan.

I agree that the new DDP is not nearly as cost effective. Appetizers are important to us, desserts are not so much and we don't like CS except for breakfast to take back to the villa. So we won't be doing the basic plan again either.

But single serving snacks makes complete sense to me. I never envisioned a snack meant something large enough to provide snacks for a party.

I also find the servings at Chefs and Tutto reasonably sized. Prices are high but paying out of pocket doesn't make it cheaper. And of course high prices at WDW are nothing new. It just seems to happen in waves to me.

Forgot to say that I hate the lack of gratuity too. I'm sure many servers will get stiffed.

I think the whole concept of the DDP was to trick people into thinking they would be saving money...but then something terrible happened: they actually were! So Disney rectified the situation as soon as they could. :rolleyes:

I think everyone can agree that the DDP has done more harm than good -- menus were pretty much standardized throughout the parks and resorts, portion sizes changed, and a lot of server's attitudes/performance went downhill (not all...but definitely some!). At this point the only purpose it serves is to allow the convenience of having meals prepaid. :sad2:

After reading these, I just sat here figuring our spending out. For our (potential) upcoming trip in July, we will be there 5 days. $38.99 x 5 x 5 = $974.75 for the dining plan itself. I figured with us having 1 table service meal and 1 counter service (we spend all day in the parks) going through the menus what we would get at each restaurant, our spending would roughly be $904.33 without any desserts and without any snacks and estimating counter-services conservatively. Even adding in the extra money for the tip, we would have more freedom of menu choices on the plan. I think we would get it again.

For us it makes sense but there are only three of us and only one is an adult. So-we tip what they deserve, and we do a lot of character buffets. but once my kids phase out of child range I could see us not doing it anymore.

After reading these, I just sat here figuring our spending out. For our (potential) upcoming trip in July, we will be there 5 days. $38.99 x 5 x 5 = $974.75 for the dining plan itself. I figured with us having 1 table service meal and 1 counter service (we spend all day in the parks) going through the menus what we would get at each restaurant, our spending would roughly be $904.33 without any desserts and without any snacks and estimating counter-services conservatively. Even adding in the extra money for the tip, we would have more freedom of menu choices on the plan. I think we would get it again.
I think you used the only valid cost comparison -- cost of DDP vs. what you would actually spend paying cash. (You see a LOT of fuzzy math over on the DDP Board!) The tips don't matter, you'd tip regardless of how you're paying for the food, and you're below the 6-person threshhold where tips are mandatory. You have an accurate picture, which says DDP is going to cost you $75, and you're willing to pay that for the convenience, etc.

This is a good example of the fact that, although DDP 2008 is nowhere near as attractive as DDP 2007, many families will still find it to be an advantageous option. It all depends on the composition of your party, how you would normally eat if you weren't on DDP, and whether or not you have a car (because if you don't, you HAVE to eat onsite pretty much).

For us, it also matters how long we're staying. We usually stay 4-5 days at a time because we live only 4 hours away. I'm okay with 4 days, but by that fifth day I'm getting pretty tired of Disney food. DDP no longer meets our needs so we no longer have that problem, but I don't think I'd ever get DDP for anything longer than 5 days.

I agree. I don't think the DDP is worth it anymore. It has become WAY too expensive and I miss having the flexibility to eat where I want. The really bad part is that it is tough to get into some of the restaurants at the last minute now. They are all booked with DDP guests.

I will continue to use my DDE.:)

Kelly

The next night the CM told us they hate it since Disney is taking the money and keeping it until their next pay period before it's given to the waiter. Not Nice Disney!! Greed will hurt you in the end. :sad2:
Given that information, I would think the servers would WANT you to cross it off and pay in cash!

Agree that the dining plan has lost its allure. We just got back from marathon weekend using the new plan. The snacks have been reduced a lot. We could get a mickey shaped rice krispie treat thing, but not a rice krispie treat thing shaped like a football, or we could get a $2.50 bag of chocolate princess coins, but not a $1.50 donald lollipop. The CMs didn't understand the rationale any better than we did. "Single serving" seemed to be an illusive measurement. Overall, we felt more like we were on a health insurance PPO than the dining plan. We paid our co-pay ($38.99 per day) and after that we split things 80/20 (including tip). Next trip we're on our own:thumbsup2

I think everyone can agree that the DDP has done more harm than good -- menus were pretty much standardized throughout the parks and resorts, portion sizes changed, and a lot of server's attitudes/performance went downhill (not all...but definitely some!). At this point the only purpose it serves is to allow the convenience of having meals prepaid. :sad2:

No - not everyone agrees, we absolutely dont agree! We have been going to WDW 2-4 times per year for the past 6 years with our kids and about 15 additional trips prior to having children. We have not found these things to be true especially not the attitude/performance of the servers. We have yet to have a poor server. Some servers may have more personality than others, but we have NEVER had poor service or seen a bad attitude. We also have seen no service changes between the trips pre-DDP and the trips with DDP.

The prepaid convenience is a great thing but it is not the only purpose that DDP 2008 serves. The great thing about Disney is that no one has to "do Disney" exactly like anyone else. There are lots of "right" ways and different things work for different families. We happen to still like the 2008 plan and those that dont care for it dont have to use it and we will all still enjoy our vacations! :goodvibes

We just finished an "experimental week" on the DDP...told my DS to eat what and where he wanted (as would I) and then we'd compare what we spent on the dining plan and what we would have spent had we not had the dining plan...

Interestingly, Disney (at least BCV) gave me a statement on checkout day that showed each DP purchase...according to Disney's records, I would have spent $150 more had I paid cash for the DDP charges...add in the tips that I did pay in cash (about $120) and I figure we saved $30 for the two of us for the week...

Wel,, $30 is $30...but it's not enough to make the plan a "real deal" for me...

Turned out using it for signature dining was the worst value of all...cost of a sig meal isn't equivalent to value for two TS credits...

Anyway, it's still a value, but not a big value...just a "sort of value"...and we didh't try to "maximize it"--we could have upped the savings a modest amount had we modified our eating to maximize the DP value, I'm sure...

But I don't particularly blame Disney...it's still a cost-savings; it's just nowhere near as good as it once was...as a previous poster said, an expensive meal is still expensive whether you're paying out of pocket or using the dining plan!

I'm taking friends next month, and they're thrilled at the savings they'll get on the DDP (it's their first time at WDW as well as their first time using the DDP)...to them, it looks like a really nice "extra"...a bit of savings on actual cost, lots of extra convenience...

So...new customers will love it, I'm sure...those of us who experienced the old plan will feel the pain of losing what we once had...but bottom line is we'll be spending more money on food (at least the way we eat) if we don't use it, even if it's only $30 for the week...not sure what I'll do...I do like the convenience, and we DO eat table service (actually we paid out of pocket for two extra table services during that experimental week--and still easily used our CS credits)...hard to argue that I "shouldn't" save that $30...

We'll see...

I disagree with you.

I've seen no standardization of menu at the many restaurants we frequent at WDW. Kona>CG>Chefs>Mama's>now Tutto>GF Cafe>Brown Derby>Narcoossee's>Jiko>Citricos....all quite different.

Service hasn't changed in our experience either. Most servers are great and Disney friendly. There's the occasional bad apple. That's been true for many years.

Portion sizes are smaller at some places but still more than ample. I suspect that is more a result of the nationwide trend to offer healthier meals. I doubt the DDP has anything to do with it.

I think it's nice to read of families who have discovered the pleasure involved in having a nice meal together at TS spots as opposed to rushing around the parks and doing only CS. That's a nice outcome of the DDP IMO.

3. Now that we are in DVC, we will save a few pennies by eating in the rooms.

It's more than just pennies and that has always been the deal killer for us.

As example, why blow the money for the breakfast portion of the DP when I can comfortably feed a party of 5 great hot seated breakfasts for eight days (as I am doing in our upcoming stay at the Boardwalk in February) for a total expense of about $65 (via Garden Grocer)? Not only is the food and service as good or better than what I can get at most WDW dining spots, it's faster and easier. We show up at park gates 20 minutes before opening well fed and happy, while the DP crowd is either starving or eating stale pastries from some counter service spot.:laughing:

Bottom line: part of what you purchased when you bought DVC was a kitchen.

USE IT.

breakfast.jpg

It's more than just pennies and that has always been the deal killer for us.

As example, why blow the money for the breakfast portion of the DP when I can comfortably feed a party of 5 great hot seated breakfasts for eight days (as I am doing in our upcoming stay at the Boardwalk in February) for a total expense of about $65 (via Garden Grocer)? Not only is the food and service as good or better than what I can get at most WDW dining spots, it's faster and easier. We show up at park gates 20 minutes before opening well fed and happy, while the DP crowd is either starving or eating stale pastries from some counter service spot.:laughing:

Bottom line: part of what you purchased when you bought DVC was a kitchen.

USE IT.

No thanks - the kitchen is great b/c it has a standard size fridge where we can store our diet coke and a stove for baking late night chocolate chip cookies. The kitchen is a perk ,but we dont plan to cook a meal while on vacation!!:scared1: Again, different strokes for different folks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter