Nike+ Sportwatch GPS vs. Garmin Forerunner 10

LittleMissGiggles89

Former Cast Member & Disney Fanatic
I'm relatively new to running (W&D will be my first half and first runDisney race :cool1:) and am in the market for a GPS watch. It seems that the Nike+ Sportwatch and Garmin Forerunner are the 2 most popular models at a moderate price point. I'm looking for feedback on those who own and use them and why you prefer it. I currently use Nike+ on my iphone to track my runs so should I stick with Nike, or is the Forerunner a better product?

I think at this price point it’s a matter or personal preference. Which one would you wear?

They both
  • Use GPS to track the runner's speed and path (TomTom on the Nike; Garmin uses its own technology).
  • Keep track of historical 'bests' and summaries of the most recent few runs.
  • Function as a 'normal' wristwatch
  • Use their own website to store uploaded data.
  • Plot any stored trip on a digital map

The largest differences are
  • The Nike weighs about 50% more (62g vs 40g)
  • The Nike seems to have a longer battery life
  • The Garmin uses a cradle to recharge and transfer data while Nike uses a regular USB. (I have found that the regular USB connection corrodes rather quickly over the life of the unit BUT one usually has a USB cord on a trip. Forget the cradle and SOL).
  • They both offer pacing Nike through the AP and Garmin on the unit.
The largest omission on the Garmin 10 is the ability to use the Garmin footpod. Nike will allow the use of their footpod. Not a huge miss on Garmin's effort, unless you run a treadmill.

In general, they are relatively equal

I use a nike + and most of the people that I run with use Garmins. I bought the Nike because I was using other nike + products and wanted to keep a consistent record of all my milage.

Recently I've become more frustrated with my watch. I find that if I don't regularly connect it to my laptop to update the GPS Satellite information it can take a long time to connect and sometimes it doesn't connect at all. Also I run on tree lined trails a lot and I tend to see my pace jump around a fair amount. On my run yesterday I felt like I was running at a fairly consistent pace, but I noticed my pace on my watch varied from 8:20 to 20 minutes per mile.

My watch is about a year old at this point so it may be that it's just starting to degrade because of the bumps that have come over the past year.

I bought a Forerunner 10 a few weeks ago, and I am loving it so far. It's my first GPS watch and so far it has performed flawlessly.

When I am done with my run, I simply come home, plug it in, and all the data from that run is uploaded to Garmin. Let's me see the route I ran, times, etc.

Thus far it has tracked every route I have run very accurately. No complaints.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far! I do a good amount of treadmill running which seems the nike would be better for tracking. I feel as if I'm hesitating with the nike because I have read a few reviews about the wrist band/USB causing trouble and the forerunner seems to be problem free. Can you tell I'm indecisive?!? Keep the feedback coming, it's all great!

I am pretty sure the 10 doesn't do real time pacing. I want to know my pace at the moment I look at the watch and being able to do that has been one of the best training and racing tools I've ever encountered. I wouldn't consider a watch that didn't offer it personally.

10 gives real time pace; the 110 and above do lap pace, which tells you what you'll finish this lap in given your pace. It therefore changes a lot slower. However you can set your "lap" to be a half mile, a kilometer, etc if you want a more specific feedback. The 10, on the other hand, is instantaneous and jumps around quite a bit. Just depends on what you're looking for.

You can also get a refurbished garmin and save quite a bit of money. You still get a garmin warranty. I got mine for around $100 that way.

Best of luck!

Good to know. I thought I had read a review that said it was only average.

Oh Man... If it were there would be a warehouse full of them in Olathe, KS growing dust.

Knowing that there are those who do want that data, I do agree that an average pace is rather useless

First, I wouldn't make a decision without reading the reviews on dcrainmaker.com. He's amazing.

Second, I actually really like average pace (I have a Garmin 610, upgraded from the 305), because it's ultimately a better/smoother measure of my pacing than the jumpy "instant" pace. In a race, my average is what ultimately matters and I aim to slow down/speed up to put it where I want it. I see the trend, rather than having momentary freak outs about my pace. I can't remember the last time I used instant pace!

That's good to know! Where were you able to find refurbished models?

I bought mine through Amazon, but as always, do your due diligence on the company (it will be a third party sale, not from Amazon itself). Just look at the product page and there should be an option for refurbished models where you click to buy used items.

As to the instant pace/average pace... just decide what you like better and go with it. Obviously everyone has a strong opinion about which they prefer :) but it all depends on how you like to run your races and how you like to train. I happen to like the average pace better. Other people feel differently. And it's all okay!

First, I wouldn't make a decision without reading the reviews on dcrainmaker.com. He's amazing.

Amazing is an understatement, those reviews are beyond fantastic and exactly what I'm looking for!:worship::worship::worship:

I went to Best Buy tonight to see if I could play with the different GPS watches...no go only display models :confused: Although I did stumble upon another watch that seems comparable-the TomTom Runner. At this point I'm thinking I may be leaning towards either the TomTom or the Nike for the indoor functionality as well, this doesn't mean I won't change my mind again! :rotfl2:

Glad you found those helpful! He's probably my favorite blog of all, even though the bike stuff makes my eyes glaze over. The reviews are the BEST and he has fun adventures running all over the world!

Glad you found those helpful! He's probably my favorite blog of all, even though the bike stuff makes my eyes glaze over. The reviews are the BEST and he has fun adventures running all over the world!

Sorry for hijacking, but thanks for the link. I looked at it also. I have been thinking about a watch, but have not made up my mind yet. I look forward to reading about his adventures.

the nike looks better but the garmin works better. They both does a good job as intended, so just pick either. I personally would go with nike though since I wear alot of nike products.

I'm sure OP has decided by now, but Garmin has now come out with the 220 and the 620. Now each incorporates an accelerometer, so no more foot pods. 620 also has some higher level functions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter