Nice but delicate experience as I left the park last Sunday

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Around 5:00 as I walked up Main Street bound for the gates, I spied an Asian couple, about 25. The girl was dressed in Disney-bound attire and was crying as they also made their way up the street. I never like to see anyone cry at DL but sometimes it's best to give them a wide birth -- you don't know what's going on.

I cut through a store to catch a last few precious seconds of cool air -- the day had been a hot one. When I made it to the gate, the same couple was also there. She was still crying and shuffling through a stack of FPs and, apparently, park tickets. I wondered if perhaps they'd lost their tickets and that's why she was upset. Again, as you'll all understand, I wanted to offer to help but you have to be careful of situations like that. You don't know what's going on and an intrusion, however well intentioned, may not always be welcome. So I set aside my desire to help, exited through the gate and began to step towards the tram.

However, they were close behind me. When I saw she was still crying, I decided to take a chance. I'd be able to sense if my help wasn't wanted or needed. As I approached and spoke to them, neither replied. I touched the guy on the arm and he turned to me. I asked if I could help. They looked at me, uncomprehending. I guessed, rightly, that they didn't speak English. I took two years of Japanese in college (although it's rusty) and rolled the dice. I asked in Japanese if they were, in fact, from Japan. They were. I asked if I could help. The guy then explained, nicely and with a touch of shame, that he'd said something bad to her. Once I realized it was a personal thing and not about lost tickets (I was going to refer them to Guest Services), I apologized and again began to move towards the tram. But the girl smiled and she seemed gladdened that someone cared enough to ask. She called "Thank you!" after me in English. I turned, smiled and replied in Japanese that she was welcome. I'm glad I took the risk, even if it only made her feel a little better.

Nice story! Are there a lot of Japanese tourists at DLR? WDW has some but not a ton. My husband is half-Japanese and we helped out some women last trip who wanted a photo together.

That was nice of you. I'm sure it helped her to think that someone cared enough to ask.

I hope he did feel ashamed. To say anything that would make your girlfriend (or boyfriend) cry in public is terrible!
Well from my experience after a long hot day at the parks sometimes the most innocent or true statement is upsetting. Or DH telling me it's best we not use that FP, we need to get the kids to the room could make me cry. LOL

Nice story! Are there a lot of Japanese tourists at DLR? WDW has some but not a ton. My husband is half-Japanese and we helped out some women last trip who wanted a photo together.

We used to get tons when the Yen was better. Especially at Sea World, San Diego Zoo, DL etc. definitely not as much as previously. Though I do see random tour buses full, sometimes a motorcade of 2 or 3 coach buses.

Well from my experience after a long hot day at the parks sometimes the most innocent or true statement is upsetting. Or DH telling me it's best we not use that FP, we need to get the kids to the room could make me cry. LOL

Very true. I didn't cry, but I admit to some epic pouting when DH said he was dog tired and that I had shopped enough and could we please head back to Ft Wilderness now?. As if there's any such thing as enough shopping! Phffft!

(I went back later by myself)

Very true. I didn't cry, but I admit to some epic pouting when DH said he was dog tired and that I had shopped enough and could we please head back to Ft Wilderness now?. As if there's any such thing as enough shopping! Phffft!

(I went back later by myself)
:rotfl2:

I'm not sure how I would have reacted to situation. I had a HUGE (PMS) breakdown last time we went as a family to Disneyland. I am sure people thought I was crazy balling in the middle of DCA. It happens. I am glad no one approached me. It was embarrassing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter