News Round Up 2020

Most of their properties also aren’t open yet, and don’t open until near or after Disney is set to reopen. I imagine if things get worse, they’ll change their mind. It is a bit surprising for the 6 California parks though.

Six Flags is doing quite poor, and I don’t think it’d take much to push them into another bankruptcy. Cedar Fair and SeaWorld are in a little better shape there, but extended closures could hurt them significantly too.
Disney itself has a pretty impressive pile of debt and depleted cash reserves from their buying spree.
All three companies have a ton of debt, but with some key differences. Disney has substantially higher assets than liabilities, Cedar Fair and Six Flags both report higher liabilities than assets. Cedar Fair's looks like they can probably weather a short-to-medium term closure to me based on their 10-K but it's impossible to know without scrubbing their books.

Cedar Fair stock had a nice bounce at the open this morning.

Disney itself has a pretty impressive pile of debt and depleted cash reserves from their buying spree.
A couple of things wrong with this. Their cash is actually up over prior years. And their buying spree brought in new assets and revenue streams. They are a stronger company now than they were before.

So their phone systems are tied to their emergency call capacity? Am I understanding that correctly? Are they saying that calling DLP takes away from the ability to call 911? (whatever their equivalent I mean)
A switch board can only handle so many calls. If there becomes a ton of people on hold, It’s pretty likely that some switch somewhere is full. Then anyone routing through that switch can’t make a call.

A switch board can only handle so many calls. If there becomes a ton of people on hold, It’s pretty likely that some switch somewhere is full. Then anyone routing through that switch can’t make a call.
Ah I gotcha.

I guess I'm just more used to places automatically hanging up on your when their phone lines are too busy and the hold time too long or they offer a call back immediately rather than have you on hold (or course a call back here wouldn't occur likely for days). Not every place does that of course but I have def. experienced it.

News

Cedar Fair now closing Knotts Berry Farm for the month, counter to yesterday’s statement.

Efteling is closing for the month.
Parque Warner Madrid is delaying its opening.
Thorpe, Europa Park, and Phantasialand planning on opening as scheduled in a few weeks.

Hershey Park is planning to open as scheduled next month.

Dollywood just opened for the season today.

So the industry is all over the place here.

Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks are 90+% outdoors. And both companies have a crushing debt load. I get it.

But bad form guys.
They are also largely local parks, so as long as there isn't community spread in the area, they are probably fine. Hopefully if there becomes community spread in their area they'll close then.

So Cedar Fair just fully reversed from yesterday then. This is actually for all parks opening in March (Schlitterbahn, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Castaway Bay), not just CGA and Knotts; excluding Gilroy Gardens still opening March 27th for now.

Six Flags and SeaWorld will almost have to follow suit now. At least in the shared markets.

Surprisingly I haven’t seen anything direct from Merlin yet.

Last edited:
Just joking that there are probably people calling with things like that during this time.

You are still allowed to have levity right now, but sorry anyways.

Totally agree about having levity right now, I just find it very concerning that Paris' 9-1-1 capabilities might be hampered due to the call volume DLP is experiencing. That's... pretty frightening. Hopefully people receive the message to wait to deal with their cancelled travel plans for a few days.

A couple of things wrong with this. Their cash is actually up over prior years. And their buying spree brought in new assets and revenue streams. They are a stronger company now than they were before.
What revenue streams is Disney going to benefit from right now because of their buying spree? Movies aren't being released, ESPN and ESPN+ have no programing, and the parks and resorts which have always been Disney's safety net and main source of income are shut down. Disney has gone from a position of strength with it's debt load to a position of weakness as it is going to face a crisis like it hasn't faced before. Here are the solvency ratios for you over the last five fiscal years:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter