News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised there isn’t more speculation about the “secret project”. Could they really have something extra we haven’t heard about up their sleeve? I’m assuming with the timing it popped up it is in response to Universal’s announcement but who knows.... Guesses? We have pretty much shot down the idea of a fifth gate for years.

Last edited:
I’m surprised there isn’t more speculation about the “secret project”. Could they really have something extra we haven’t heard about up their sleeve? I’m assuming with the timing it pooped up it is in response to Universal’s announcement but who knows.... Guesses? We have pretty much shot down the idea of a fifth gate for years.
I think it’s film or TV related.

I think it’s film or TV related.

I agree - I doubt it is major. Major announcements will come out of Hall D23. It's not even on the 2nd largest stage but the third - Stage 28. They're also indicating they are going to announce what it is on August 22nd, two days before it happens, which means it isn't as big a deal as you would hope. My guess is they just haven't fully hammered out the guest list for it.

It’s starting to look more likely to me that this closure is either directly or indirectly related to the incident in the UK where a kid fell out of this exact model causing serious bodily injury.

Hopefully they’re just trying to figure out what they’re going to replace it with. They really shouldn’t reopen this ride.
If that was the case then these rides would be closed all across the world. This is a common amusement park attraction.

If that was the case then these rides would be closed all across the world. This is a common amusement park attraction.

There are two manufacturers of this ride and most installations from this manufacturer are mobile and operated by parks in South America if I remember correctly. I don’t believe any of them from this particular manufacturer is in any other high profile park.

The British lady this model killed 10 years or so ago only cost the park something like $125k and both the operator and the manufacturer were found to be at fault. It had an electrical defect that caused one of the carts to crash into another one. That’s also why the manufacturer went bankrupt and had to restructure. This specific ride was not moved or demolished, it’s also the same ride where the kid fell out. It also happened around the same time that Disney shut down their installation.

I said directly because I’d suspect Disney’s lawyers are well aware that if a kid fell out of their ride that it would cost them a whole lot more than $125k. Especially since they know the ride’s history and since their installation has previously killed two cast members. If anything goes wrong, they wouldn’t be able to claim ignorance. It would be a nightmare.

I said indirectly because it’s unlikely that the manufacturer of this ride is making any replacement parts at this time given the investigation, and I don’t believe that the clone’s parts are compatible.

The clone manufacturer (Zamperla) has had no issues that I’m aware of, so even if they wanted to they couldn’t get the parts.

Either way, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me for them to reopen this ride. It’s old, it has issues, they can afford to replace it, and the risk of reopening it far exceeds any potential benefit.

There are two manufacturers of this ride and most installations from this manufacturer are mobile and operated by parks in South America if I remember correctly. I don’t believe any of them from this particular manufacturer is in any other high profile park.

The British lady this model killed 10 years or so ago only cost the park something like $125k and both the operator and the manufacturer were found to be at fault. It had an electrical defect that caused one of the carts to crash into another one. That’s also why the manufacturer went bankrupt and had to restructure. This specific ride was not moved or demolished, it’s also the same ride where the kid fell out. It also happened around the same time that Disney shut down their installation.

I said directly because I’d suspect Disney’s lawyers are well aware that if a kid fell out of their ride that it would cost them a whole lot more than $125k. Especially since they know the ride’s history and since their installation has previously killed two cast members. If anything goes wrong, they wouldn’t be able to claim ignorance. It would be a nightmare.

I said indirectly because it’s unlikely that the manufacturer of this ride is making any replacement parts at this time given the investigation, and I don’t believe that the clone’s parts are compatible.

The clone manufacturer (Zamperla) has had no issues that I’m aware of, so even if they wanted to they couldn’t get the parts.

Either way, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me for them to reopen this ride. It’s old, it has issues, they can afford to replace it, and the risk of reopening it far exceeds any potential benefit.
That may be the case but I’m not sure I buy that as the reason right now. I had no idea there was an incident in the first place recently.

I am not sure Disney would give reopening dates unless they felt it could reopen. If they said it’s gone seasonal or closed indefinitely then that’s different.

That may be the case but I’m not sure I buy that as the reason right now. I had no idea there was an incident in the first place recently.

I am not sure Disney would give reopening dates unless they felt it could reopen. If they said it’s gone seasonal or closed indefinitely then that’s different.

Who knows. The entire situation is just odd.

I’m not all that familiar with how things work in the UK, but I’d imagine that they’d have a pretty good idea about what happened by that new September date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter