News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been discussed?

Car maker Audi announces new partnership with Disney

https://thedisneyblog.com/2018/11/2...w-partnership-with-disney/?platform=hootsuite

I imagine it went something like this..."Hey Disney, since you're stifling the prodigious talents of one the most creative groups of people in any known industry so you can squeeze a few more pennies onto your next quarterly report, you mind if we rent out the Imagineers to do some, you know, actual creative work?"

Not to open this can of worms again, but looks like Disney has revised their statement and the Friendship boats WILL continue to operate daily - but then close at night only

https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/friendship-boats-to-continue-service-to-epcot-with-nightly-closures/

Says they will close starting at 9:30 - that feels like pretty close to when people would be getting out of EPCOT post Illuminations so might be bit of a rush to catch that first boat

So did the start dates change again? I thought before it wasn't going to affect our trip either way. Being only at night, I seriously doubt it will anyway, but it sounds like this is already going on and will continue through most of December.

While it is cute, it is sort of anti-climatic. Since it doesn't appear to move, why did it take so long to get this in place? Especially since we know the nose part was around a long time ago.

I don't even understand why they have him crying while he is smiling. It's just weird. I really built this up in my head to be way more than it is.

I imagine it went something like this..."Hey Disney, since you're stifling the prodigious talents of one the most creative groups of people in any known industry so you can squeeze a few more pennies onto your next quarterly report, you mind if we rent out the Imagineers to do some, you know, actual creative work?"
:rolleyes2

I don't really get this comment. Disney is doing more at their US parks right now than they've done since the 1990s. Avatar, TSL, SWGE, 4 new hotels, Rat, GotG, Tron, new Epcot show and who knows what else in store for the 50th in 3 years. Plus Marvel land in California and not even counting all the work being done at foreign parks. I am sure Imagineers are not without complaints, but being stifled seems unlikely to be one of them.

I don't really get this comment. Disney is doing more at their US parks right now than they've done since the 1990s. Avatar, TSL, SWGE, 4 new hotels, Rat, GotG, Tron, new Epcot show and who knows what else in store for the 50th in 3 years. Plus Marvel land in California and not even counting all the work being done at foreign parks. I am sure Imagineers are not without complaints, but being stifled seems unlikely to be one of them.
I think the thought is that a lot of the Imagineers great ideas are "stifled" when they have to cut things back from the original plans (like they've obviously done with Toy Story Land). (I mean -- creating a brand new land with narrow walkways, no shade and no dedicated (A/C) gift shop is just a head scratcher). - I can't imagine how crowded that land will get when it is one of the TWO ways in out of SWGE.

I don't necessarily agree with that, you have to draw the line somewhere, money doesn't grow on trees, but it is disappointing to see the "big" ideas cut back for obvious budget reasons. So, my guess is the comment stems from that.

I think the thought is that a lot of the Imagineers great ideas are "stifled" when they have to cut things back from the original plans (like they've obviously done with Toy Story Land). (I mean -- creating a brand new land with narrow walkways, no shade and no dedicated (A/C) gift shop is just a head scratcher). - I can't imagine how crowded that land will get when it is one of the TWO ways in out of SWGE.

I don't necessarily agree with that, you have to draw the line somewhere, money doesn't grow on trees, but it is disappointing to see the "big" ideas cut back for obvious budget reasons. So, my guess is the comment stems from that.

So then the argument becomes that somehow Audi will not have any oversight against spending as much as Disney Imagineers want to? They will larger than Billion dollar budgets to design an entertainment system for a car?

OP is right - in an ideal world it would be fantastic if Disney Imagineers could spend to the limit of their imagination. But it would help to face the facts that this was NEVER, EVER allowed. Even back in Walt's day, they opened Disneyland with a half finished Tomorrowland. Budgets were constantly being reviewed and cutbacks are the norm, not something new. Pretty much every project ever has been downsized from the original blue sky. We could list a hundred items that were cut or reduced in Disney parks. How about Western River Expedition for one. There will always be compromises. The shade in TSL was a bad choice to remove in the Florida heat, but perhaps they had a plan to work there system that they could cut it from the capital, but then put it back in next year as an "improvement". Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter