New Zealand Short Videos

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
On recent trips, I've taken to sharing our journey with family and friends back home through short video snippets, usually 1 to 3 minutes long, of the things we've done. It takes quite a bit of time for me to put together a short video, so I don't know that this would work well to people traveling with children. But as a retired person with plenty of time to spare in the evenings, it has worked well for me.

Here are the examples from our recent trip to New Zealand:

Queenstown Luge - Riding luge carts down a mountain in Queenstown.

Kawarau Bridge Bungy Jump - Bungy jumping at the home of the first commercial bungy jumping operation.

Lake Wakatipu - Riding the steamship TSS Earnslaw across the lake to visit a working farm.

Milford Sound - Milford Sound (actually a fjord rather than a sound) is one of the most stunningly beautiful places I've ever been.

Via Ferrata - Climbing up the cliffs along a waterfall. This was hard, but loads of fun. And a little scary.

Quad Bikes - Riding quad bakes through glacial washes and temperate rain forests.

Paragliding in Christchurch - The title says it all. Amazingly beautiful.

Pounamu - Making traditional Maori stone art with help from a Maori woman.

Wellington Jump - Jumping off a platform into the sea at the Wellington Pier. Eight meters (25 feet) might not sound that high, but it looked really high from the top.

Hobbiton - A must see for any Lord of the Rings fan. As of December, you can tour a furnished hobbit hole, which was really cool.

Redwoods Altitude - Hiking along bridges strung up about 25 meters (80 feet) above the forest floor.

Wairoa River - Rafting one of the craziest class 5 rivers I've ever been on. Very scary. Very fun.

Kaituna River - Rafting through a beautiful jungle canyon with waterfalls, one of which was 7 meters (23 feet) tall! And yes, I fell out of the boat on that one.

For all of these videos, I pretty much just let the activity tell the story. For our previous trip (France in December), I did a commentary and used video clips to illustrate. The two approaches are similar, but different in that the latter have a more narrative element. I'm not sure which I like better. Here are a couple of examples from France.

Strasbourg
Colmar

I'm not sure what approach would be better for a Disney trip. I guess it depends on whether you want to talk about your trip or whether you just want to show it.

As for cameras used, most of France was filled with a DJI Osmo Pocket 3 (which I LOVE!). Sadly, I lost that camera on our way to New Zealand. That trip was filmed with a couple of GoPros (a 10 and a 9) and an Insta360 X3. And some shots were filmed with our phones, which are better when we need to take zoomed in video. What happened to my usual big camera stuff? I often don't take my main camera gear on trips unless the focus is going to be photography. I prefer to keep it relatively light and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter