• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Year's Eve at WDW Tips & Tricks

godders

DIS Veteran
Going to be in California for Christmas with the family and didn't fancy the boring domestic NYE that was in my future so I'm treating myself to Disney and turns out it was cheaper to fly across country and head to WDW for New Years than spend it at Disneyland....

Flying into Orlando via Miami landing 8.30am ( 🤞) on 29th Dec and leaving evening of 3rd.

Staying at Pop and got my park passes for MK on 30th and Epcot 31st so I can catch both sets of fireworks. Going to book a sit-down meal each day to give a bit of a time out from the crowds.

This is my first time doing a Disney NYE so not sure what to expect other than crowds.....

So Disboard collective mind..what are you best tips for an enjoyable trip at the most busiest time of year...?

Epcot has huge dance parties in each country to celebrate the New Year.
I would want to be in China probably!
I think they celebrate according to true time for each country…
but have not experienced NYE Epcot style !
Hope it’s happy !

My biggest advice for NYE is to avoid being on the roads heading to a park in the early afternoon - since you've got the skyliner and an Epcot pass that checks that box!

Aside from that, my best advice is to just be patient, expect crowds, and have fun! Epcot is crazy on NYE, the energy is something else. In our experience, Epcot starts getting really busy around 430 - 5pm, but some people get there and set up blankets in the grassy areas pretty early in the day. There's something about that 430 - 5pm timeframe, you can feel the energy shift from "regular day" to "something is happening".

Our first NYE at Disney World felt chaotic, the second was amazing, and we're getting ready to do it all again this year and can't wait! After our first time we thought we'd never do it again, and then sometime the following summer we forgot how insane it was and booked for the following year :rotfl:
(I have a couple of NYE trip reports in my signature, but they're both from pre-Covid. I expect this year to be similar to "normal", but who knows!)

We also really like rope dropping on Jan 1, because morning crowds are pretty light that day, but this year we're tentatively planning to be in MK at midnight, so that might not happen for ringing in 2023, LOL!

Have fun!

As far as a sit down meal one suggestion is to book Steakhouse 71 for around 7:45 or slightly later on the 30th. I've done MK on the 30th last year and this worked out extremely well. It was wonderful to have a enjoyable and relaxing meal outside of the hubbub in the park.

Epcot has huge dance parties in each country to celebrate the New Year.
I would want to be in China probably!
I think they celebrate according to true time for each country…
but have not experienced NYE Epcot style !
Hope it’s happy !
Thank you! I'll be at Disney so I'm sure it will be happier than my alternatives!

Thanks for the heads up about the dance parties. Will definitely check them out!

My biggest advice for NYE is to avoid being on the roads heading to a park in the early afternoon - since you've got the skyliner and an Epcot pass that checks that box!

Aside from that, my best advice is to just be patient, expect crowds, and have fun! Epcot is crazy on NYE, the energy is something else. In our experience, Epcot starts getting really busy around 430 - 5pm, but some people get there and set up blankets in the grassy areas pretty early in the day. There's something about that 430 - 5pm timeframe, you can feel the energy shift from "regular day" to "something is happening".

Our first NYE at Disney World felt chaotic, the second was amazing, and we're getting ready to do it all again this year and can't wait! After our first time we thought we'd never do it again, and then sometime the following summer we forgot how insane it was and booked for the following year :rotfl:
(I have a couple of NYE trip reports in my signature, but they're both from pre-Covid. I expect this year to be similar to "normal", but who knows!)

We also really like rope dropping on Jan 1, because morning crowds are pretty light that day, but this year we're tentatively planning to be in MK at midnight, so that might not happen for ringing in 2023, LOL!

Have fun!
Haha think I will have to wait and see about getting up for rope drop on Jan 1. The body does not handle lare nights as it used to 🤣

Finding it a bit hard to picture what a 10 day looks like and potential hitting capacity (although in theory the park pass system does away with this problem) to know when to head to the park to make sure I last till midnight.

Thanks for pointing to your trip reports, I shall check them out!

As far as a sit down meal one suggestion is to book Steakhouse 71 for around 7:45 or slightly later on the 30th. I've done MK on the 30th last year and this worked out extremely well. It was wonderful to have a enjoyable and relaxing meal outside of the hubbub in the park.
I had thought about leaving the park for my meal but I wasn't sure how the park pass system vs park capacity/closure works in this post-covid age. Not sure if I should stick to in park options just in case (also secretly still processing the loss of The Wave)

So fun! I was thinking the same thing re: NYE and have a tentative trip booked for 12/30 - 1/3. Currently have a room at Swan and Park Pass for Epcot on 12/31. The DJ's around World Showcase look so fun.

Are there DJ dance parties in MK too? With characters or not? Planning to be in MK Dec 31!

We have only Been to DW once for New Year’s Eve. Never again. We were at Epcot and had my daughter, many years ago. She was about 9. I was so afraid to let go of her hand because she would have been swept up In the crowd And disappeared. It was way to stressful for me. the Crowds were overwhelming. I’m sure it can be fun if you don’t mind the masses of people. If you have kids though have a back up plan of where to meet if you get separated. This was before the proliferation of scooters. I’m not sure how anyone on a scooter would get thru the crowds without hitting others right and left. Just thinking about going on makes me uncomfortable.

We have only Been to DW once for New Year’s Eve. Never again. We were at Epcot and had my daughter, many years ago. She was about 9. I was so afraid to let go of her hand because she would have been swept up In the crowd And disappeared. It was way to stressful for me. the Crowds were overwhelming. I’m sure it can be fun if you don’t mind the masses of people. If you have kids though have a back up plan of where to meet if you get separated. This was before the proliferation of scooters. I’m not sure how anyone on a scooter would get thru the crowds without hitting others right and left. Just thinking about going on makes me uncomfortable.
I can't imagine how stressful it would be worrying about a little one in the crowds. Think it's just a night of going slow and enjoying the atmosphere (and hopefully having a boogie at some point).

Epcot is the BEST park for NYE hands down! As mentioned by pp, the park is filled with DJ dance parties through the WS, special effects (pyrotechnics in China, lasers in Italy, etc.), and special sets/stages that you will only ever see on NYE.. The atmosphere is extremely festive and they give out free party favors (NYE hats, noisemakers, etc.) throughout the park.. As suggested by pp, I would recommend arriving early and staying inside the park until well after midnight.. Crowd levels will be extreme, but IMO, it's worth it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter