Regarding the AP blockouts being lifted and the parks still being slow... do you think that is because many AP holders did not renew? I mean, it doesn't make sense that building SWGE would actually drive people away from the park who otherwise would want to be there. They could just go to the other lands and avoid Galaxy's Edge. And it's not exactly a secret that the land is not swamped with rabid Star Wars fans. So it's curious. What is keeping the APs away now?
They raised prices on all the APs and took away days. I know a bunch of people who didn’t renew.

For non-APs, I have friends and relatives who want to see SWGE, but when they find out it costs $150 for a one-park, one-day ticket ($165 with MaxPass) they say nah. That is a really expensive day for a family of four, even before factoring in food, souvenirs, etc.

I think people are deciding to check other things out. We live in between Disneyland and San Diego. It’s the same amount of driving time to get to each. This spring I got an annual pass to SeaWorld that includes parking for $120. And my son got their preschool pass, which is 9 months of access for FREE! Now, we will probably only go to SeaWorld three times during that timeframe, compared to the MANY times we go to Disneyland, but wow, what a deal!

I am obsessed with Disney and we both have Signature passes currently as I didn’t want to be blocked out of DL all summer, but next year we are likely downgrading. It’s gettting too expensive. I still need my Disney fix but I’ll have to do it during the week.

I laughed a lot when the pilots were so bad in one of the recent rides. Why does it have to be perfect?

Totally agree! We were so bad our first run and our whole crew was cracking up. I think it’s also good for us seasoned Disneyland goers to remember some folks might be there on the first and maybe only trip of their lifetime. Some kids only get lucky enough to go once so if they want to pilot, I say let them pilot. 🥰

I laughed a lot when the pilots were so bad in one of the recent rides. Why does it have to be perfect? So you miss a few buttons. so what? It doesn't make the ride bad, just different. which it is every time to some degree. When I was engineer I just listened for the sounds and then smashed the buttons and then watched more of the ride. you don't need to keep turning to it to look. Just whenever... What's to stress about?
It's not about a "perfect" ride, but about a ride that can be so jerky and bumpy that it is physically painful for some of your crew. For those with physical disabilities, it can be really hard to be in super bumpy, unevenly pitching circumstances. We know that MFSR isn't going to be smooth (the way we know that ST isn't going to be smooth), but SR's bumpiness is somewhat controllable depending on the skill of the pilots. Sometimes the bumpiness of the ride can be fun and funny. But other times -- like when the pilots are just thoughtless about the others in their crew (other people? what other people?) -- it can just be a very uncomfortable flight, with a very uncomfortable recovery afterward. The discomfort can be made worse by a nervous/frightened child as pilot being "coached"/yelled at by an overeager/angry parent. I certainly hope no one is asking for a "perfect" ride, but I think most people are at least asking for a not miserable one!

Last edited:
Sometimes the bumpiness of the ride can be fun and funny. But other times -- like when the pilots are just thoughtless about the others in their crew (other people? what other people?) -- it can just be a very uncomfortable flight,

Yuck, I get that. But I also think this is a different scenario then some people (or kids) just not being good at piloting. I don’t feel like it’s fair to pressure people- I was lucky enough to experience SWGE with a group of five people (so six) and we were able to experience it all as a group... but all these comments make me anxious now to share the falcon if people are going to be annoyed if I’m not a perfect pilot!

As for the disability piece, as someone with physical disabilities we also have to know when to heed those warning signs for rides but even more so for this one because you really don’t know what you’re gonna get..

ETA: piloting was my absolute favorite (I’m the over the top SW fan that shed tears when I got to take her to lightspeed) but I was also terrible at it and I really was trying hard to do well 😂 maybe next time I’ll do better!

Yuck, I get that. But I also think this is a different scenario then some people (or kids) just not being good at piloting. I don’t feel like it’s fair to pressure people- I was lucky enough to experience SWGE with a group of five people (so six) and we were able to experience it all as a group... but all these comments make me anxious now to share the falcon if people are going to be annoyed if I’m not a perfect pilot!...
I don't think this is about expecting anyone to be the perfect pilot (if anyone has managed to pull that off, kudos to them!). Adult or child, there is definitely a learning curve to piloting the Falcon -- and it should be fun for everyone in your crew, no matter what the results of your flight end up being! We're all learning together -- or we should be, anyway!
But when the experience of the flight ends up being skewed negatively (significantly so) by pilots who clearly have no awareness of the rest of the crew (and with the kids we've seen, this has mainly been due to out of control parents), then the flight isn't much fun for anyone -- it's clear that the kids aren't having fun, the parents aren't having fun, and as a result, no one else in the the crew is having fun.

But when the experience of the flight ends up being skewed negatively (significantly so) by pilots who clearly have no awareness of the rest of the crew (and with the kids we've seen, this has mainly been due to out of control parents), then the flight isn't much fun for anyone -- it's clear that the kids aren't having fun, the parents aren't having fun, and as a result, no one else in the the crew is having fun.

Is this a pretty common thing to happen when people ride? I sure hope not! I remember reading the horror stories on here of getting pilots too busy doing selfies haha! We were so spoiled going in the perfect group of six but when we come back in december it’s just me and my kiddo as usual so I guess we’ll find out what it’s like to share! 😬

Is this a pretty common thing to happen when people ride? I sure hope not! I remember reading the horror stories on here of getting pilots too busy doing selfies haha! We were so spoiled going in the perfect group of six but when we come back in december it’s just me and my kiddo as usual so I guess we’ll find out what it’s like to share! 😬
It's not super common, but the experience can be bad enough to haunt you for a while after it does happen. When one pilot is too young to really "pilot," then the other pilot can compensate. But if that other pilot is too busy taking photos of the child or yelling at the child or taking selfies, etc. -- then, essentially, no one is flying the ship! We've been through this scenario a few times -- not fun. You end up crashing into everything! Very bumpy and jerky. Whiplash city. (Which can make a frightened child more frightened.) And, every time it's happened to us, the pilots have had no idea that they had anything to do with it! LOL.

Last edited:
It's not super common, but the experience can be bad enough to haunt you for a while after it does happen.

This sentence reminds me of the time that the guy sitting in front of us on Space Mountain decided to to film a Snapchat video of him and his girlfriend riding with the flash ON and blinded us for the whole ride. So yeah, I get what you mean about those haunting ride experiences haha! Some stick out for sure. Fingers crossed we avoid this! I’m also hoping we get lucky enough to pilot- problem solved. 😉 My son did well enough to compensate for me haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: EmJ
As the mother of a preschooler, I have the... hmm... opportunity... to spend a great deal of time in locations involving a high concentration of small children and their parents. I’d say, 90% of the time, parents are pretty considerate about monitoring their offspring and ensuring (as much as they can) appropriately considerate and pro-social behavior. But, you always have that 10% that either completely lack awareness, or just don’t care, how their actions or those of their kids are affecting others. With crowds as large as Disneyland, 10% can add up to a lot of bodies, and I’m not surprised this happens from time to time. I can’t think of a nightmare experience on a theme park ride, but I’ve definitely experienced plenty of line cutters, which sends me into a (silent and contained) fury every single item.

ETA: This was not meant to be a comment about children piloting the Falcon. I don’t think there is anything wrong with kids piloting the Falcon as a general rule. I think you just have to know your child, as I’m sure anyone’s child (including mine!) would be better at it than me, haha. But my kiddo will be a freshly-minted 5-year-old who will have no clue what he’s doing, and will be just as happy shooting the guns or pushing the engineer buttons. So we will hang in the back and enjoy the ride :)

And I'm ready to have an amazing time no matter what! Just wanted to hear what other over thinkers are feeling?

Looking at my favorite hotels in 2020, I am concerned we’re going to finally see the actual crowds that SWGE was supposed to bring. We had APs all 2018 and were considering them again for 2020, but I am considering holding off to see what happens at the beginning of the year.

I mean, plain and simple, there’s not a lot to DO at SWGE (at least, not a lot to do if you don’t want to spend

Just to piggyback on this thought.... there isn’t a lot to EAT in SWGE, not in terms of snacks at least. No ice cream, no pretzels, no regular (not weird) popcorn, no cookies or cupcakes, no fruit... you have Ronto wraps, beef jerkey and then Docking Bay, which has a pretty limited menu. There have been times we have been in SWGE and have left simply because we were hungry.

Just to piggyback on this thought.... there isn’t a lot to EAT in SWGE, not in terms of snacks at least. No ice cream, no pretzels, no regular (not weird) popcorn, no cookies or cupcakes, no fruit... you have Ronto wraps, beef jerkey and then Docking Bay, which has a pretty limited menu. There have been times we have been in SWGE and have left simply because we were hungry.

This is definitely a problem as well. I get why they don't have ice cream carts, but they could sell either pretzels (not Mickey) or the bagel twists, for example. They could also easily have a fruit cart, or sell something like roasted nuts. The marketplace area is perfect for small food vendors and I'm not sure why there are so few snack opportunities in this land. I mean, Turkey jerkey and weird popcorn aren't exactly universal snacks. They could also have something like Dole whip. Just choose flavors other than pineapple, like lime, orange, raspberry. Those would make a unique offering. Other than the milks, which one of my kids likes, there is NOTHING in this land that either will eat.

I actually had a line about this in my post but must have deleted it when I rewrote part. It’s definitely an issue. I like the Ronto wraps, but that’s the only thing I really eat in the land. There’s nothing my daughter will eat. Even the desserts at Docking Bay are more “interesting” to look at than good to eat.

I’m hoping they come up with some new snacks at that popcorn place, pronto. Something actually TASTY and mainstream and not just intended to be Instagrammed.

I mean, really, it’s a whole land where you could say the central purpose is to be Instagram-able. :rotfl2:

I actually had a line about this in my post but must have deleted it when I rewrote part. It’s definitely an issue. I like the Ronto wraps, but that’s the only thing I really eat in the land. There’s nothing my daughter will eat. Even the desserts at Docking Bay are more “interesting” to look at than good to eat.

I’m hoping they come up with some new snacks at that popcorn place, pronto. Something actually TASTY and mainstream and not just intended to be Instagrammed.

I mean, really, it’s a whole land where you could say the central purpose is to be Instagram-able. :rotfl2:

Totally agree. At least the Ronto wrap is available on Mobile Order AND easy to eat while walking. so I just swing in, grab one, and we walk over to Hungry Bear or Red Rose Tavern to get food for my kids.

I love the ronto wrap and my son will probably like it (he’s an adventurous eater). But we definitely need more snacks and more sweets. Such a missed opportunity!

There was a few times we left the land too just to get different food and didn’t always end up coming back right away. They should bring back the Jedi training and put it in there. That always drew big crowds. Or some type of show besides Kylo’s short little one. It is hard to have those roaming character experiences unless you commit to being in the land for a couple hours.

There have been times we have been in SWGE and have left simply because we were hungry
I only like one item from the docking bay menu, but other than that I don’t care about the food there. Blue milk is good but $8 for that little cup is a lot. I wish they had less weird food. I’m a little picky.
I mean, really, it’s a whole land where you could say the central purpose is to be Instagram-able.
LOL guilty!! My friends and I will hang out there, take pics for our stories, then leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter