New Series Gilded AGE on HBO thumbs up or down

Hubs and I are really enjoying this show! I find that if I watch each episode more than once, there are little things that we notice (like comments, or movements, etc) that make the show even better. I think Cynthia Nixons character Ada may be autistic or at least on the spectrum. The episode where she was rambling about cities and towns and Agnes asks her if she plans on becoming a travel expert (or something similar) I don’t know, it just seems like the Ada character has more we will find out about later in the series.
Peggy has something in her past that she is seeking some kind of revenge on is my guess is to why she needs to talk to a lawyer.
Really like the George Russell character. He seems to have great affection for his haughty, better than everyone else wife, Bertha. Mrs. Astor will eventually get everyone else in town to accept the Russell family into their “circle”.
I can’t wait for episode 3. 😀

Fingers crossed that tonight will be better otherwise I will just wait and binge so I can fast forward through the boring parts.

I do wonder at the cost of the costumes for these shows. Obviously the main characters for this and even for Downton have tons of costumes. I read that they needed 7000+ for Bridgerton and just the main character has over 100! Only the important characters get the bespoke the rest are rented from costume houses.
I always find the costume production fascinating and I am a stickler for detail. I hated Reign because not only the horrible story line, and acting but lack of authenticity in the costumes especially the shoes! In my next life I will be a costume designer.

Fingers crossed that tonight will be better otherwise I will just wait and binge so I can fast forward through the boring parts.

I do wonder at the cost of the costumes for these shows. Obviously the main characters for this and even for Downton have tons of costumes. I read that they needed 7000+ for Bridgerton and just the main character has over 100! Only the important characters get the bespoke the rest are rented from costume houses.
I always find the costume production fascinating and I am a stickler for detail. I hated Reign because not only the horrible story line, and acting but lack of authenticity in the costumes especially the shoes! In my next life I will be a costume designer.
I can’t find the article now (of course), but I read that they increased the costume budget to have more outfits and more details because 1) the pandemic delays gave them time to create and 2) they were able to provide employment for Broadway costumers.

I can’t find the article now (of course), but I read that they increased the costume budget to have more outfits and more details because 1) the pandemic delays gave them time to create and 2) they were able to provide employment for Broadway costumers.
[/QUOTE

That is interesting. I noticed they had so many outfits just in the two episodes alone.

Thumbs up for sure, my wife and I just watched EP3 last night. I have heard some criticism about it not being as good as Downton Abbey... but what period drama ever will be?

We're having to take a break from watching it due to the Olympics but I'll comment back when that is over how my thoughts are on episode 3 and after

I like it but it's a very different vibe then Downton, and it should be. As a whole, folks are a lot more familiar with the English period drama. Early American period dramas are kind of a different set of rules and personality. I do agree it is weirdly CGI'd.

Thumbs up for sure, my wife and I just watched EP3 last night. I have heard some criticism about it not being as good as Downton Abbey... but what period drama ever will be?

1883!!!!!

And, while I don’t think “The Gilded Age” is as good as “Downton Abbey,” I am still enjoying it. This particular time period in American history has always been interesting to me. Additionally, since there have just been 3 episodes (watching episode 3 tonight), I think they’re still “world-building - so I’m trying to be patient & hope it gets better.

Back to ”1883” -

My husband & I are watching every week, & it’s soooo good!!! It’s also fascinating to me that what’s going on in “1883” in the American West is occurring at relatively the same time as what’s going on in “The Gilded Age” in New York… it’s an intriguing juxtaposition.

I just watched episode 2 and I’m still on the fence.
I don‘t dislike it, but I’m not loving it either.
When watching Downton Abbey I feel like I’m watching a real family, and I feel like I went back in time when watching it - the show was so well done.
When watching The Gilded Age I feel like I’m watching a TV show about a time period - does this make any sense? It’s hard to describe what I’m thinking.
Maybe I’ll think differently after watching episode 3, which I think comes on HBO Max on 2/8.

This is where I'm at too. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. The acting does feel forced at times, but I'm hoping it will get better as they become comfortable.

Reactions: slo
Mhmmmmm…just finished episode 3 and so want to give a rundown on my thoughts. Best episode to me, so far.

Has anyone been watching “After The Episode”? Interesting insights.

Re-watching this, I feel like they cut a lot of scenes! Like, the dog plays a weirdly large part of E1 and then…nothing? And the relationship development in E3 (to me) came out of nowhere. I saw an interview with the actress that said there were more “build up” scenes between the two filmed, but cut.

Back to ”1883” -

My husband & I are watching every week, & it’s soooo good!!! It’s also fascinating to me that what’s going on in “1883” in the American West is occurring at relatively the same time as what’s going on in “The Gilded Age” in New York… it’s an intriguing juxtaposition.

I keep hearing about that and noticed it has rave reviews. Although I have never been a huge western fan but sometimes my wife and I run out of things to watch. Maybe we can try out an episode and see.

I’m trying.…on my third attempt to finish the first episode. Hoping to get through three before I decide …yay or nay.

Mhmmmmm…just finished episode 3 and so want to give a rundown on my thoughts. Best episode to me, so far.

Has anyone been watching “After The Episode”? Interesting insights.
I agree episode 3 was the best yet but it was so darn predictable!! I swear I knew there would be a suicide 5 min in!! Granted it was marginally based on historic events and I guess I am a real itch because I was rooting for Russell and did not want him to relent and help those who tired to ruin him!! I admit I liked the eye for an eye vibe!

GEEKY OBSERVATIONS
I did notice that they are going with the no make-up look and I mean big time. Mrs. Russell looks like she literally has no make up on and I just wish she had a little more in the way of a cut crease on her eyes and a touch more mascara because I keep focusing on them because they look so bare. In that they are trying to be authentic but i feel like during that period they did wear some make up. And once again, I notice zippers on the back of the costumes so I had to look up and see when the zipper was invented and it was in the 1920's so that was inaccurate( god I am such a geek with this stuff).

Then again if a "Santa" does not have authentic boots and a real beard or if I go to an historical living museum like Williamsburg or Plimoth Plantation and I see a glimpse of modern day, it ruins the effect for me! I am always looking to see how the costumes and clothing are made. Lucky the people who run these places are just as detail oriented as I am! (side note they only hand stitch the parts that show, the rest is machine stitched) and don't wear black sneakers in place of authentic shoes!

GEEKY OBSERVATIONS
I did notice that they are going with the no make-up look and I mean big time. Mrs. Russell looks like she literally has no make up on and I just wish she had a little more in the way of a cut crease on her eyes and a touch more mascara because I keep focusing on them because they look so bare. In that they are trying to be authentic but i feel like during that period they did wear some make up. And once again, I notice zippers on the back of the costumes so I had to look up and see when the zipper was invented and it was in the 1920's so that was inaccurate( god I am such a geek with this stuff).

I too wondered about the make up or lack of makeup on the women-so I looked it up and apparently makeup didn’t really catch on for another 20-30 years after that time of 1880’s.
The idea was to have elaborate hair styles with very little makeup other than a light powder and a touch of color on the lips.

I started watching the Gilded Age on HBO mainly because I love period dramas and because it was written by Julian Fellows of Downton Abby fame. Is it me or does this series fall short of the quality of Downton? I am hoping to get into it but I do not know if it is the characters, the talent or the production values but it just did not do it for me. I have been to many of the shooting locations in Newport but I just feel that they did not feature houses like the Breakers and the Elms to their best advantage. I am hoping it starts off slowly like Downton or Bridgerton and then builds.

The Breakers and The Elms weren’t built when this show is set (1880s). Newport was much more modest at that point, before Vanderbilt built The Breakers in the late 1890s (and The Elms followed at the turn of the century) and the housing arms race really got underway.

We’re really enjoying the show, but I never got into Downton Abbey.

The Breakers and The Elms weren’t built when this show is set (1880s). Newport was much more modest at that point, before Vanderbilt built The Breakers in the late 1890s (and The Elms followed at the turn of the century) and the housing arms race really got underway.

We’re really enjoying the show, but I never got into Downton Abbey.
That did not stop them from using it as a backdrop. I know some of the mansions in Newport were not that spectacular as the iconic ones but still it's fun to see them in the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter